+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent Rebreather Fatalities

Jill Heinerth RebreatherPro.com has a spectacular aura about RebreatherPro.com has a spectacular aura about RebreatherPro.com has a spectacular aura about RebreatherPro.com has a spectacular aura about RebreatherPro.com has a spectacular aura about RebreatherPro.com has a spectacular aura about RebreatherPro.com's Avatar

Recent Rebreather Fatalities

The rebreather diving world got a little smaller in the last couple of weeks with the deaths of three divers in separate accidents. Gene White, Paul Blanchette and Carl Spencer represented the entire spectrum of our community from relatively new to highly experienced, to fully professional rebreather divers. Itís a natural reaction to attempt to insulate ourselves from the events of an accident and think that we would never find ourselves in a similar situation or make similar choices. Playing the guessing game does little good until investigations are complete and more information becomes public. In many cases, this information may take years to unfold. Respect for family privacy, interviews with witnesses, investigations by law enforcement, autopsies and possible product liability issues all add up to significant information lag.

So where can we find comfort in the event of a loss of a close friend, dive buddy or member of our small community? Remember the best times, recall their excellent training, revel in their experiences and celebrate their accomplishments. Then realize they got the same training you did. They took the same precautions and applied diligence to their activities. Rebreather diving is dangerous. So in their memory, bring your very best to every day of diving. Examine risks carefully and do everything you can to stay on top of your game.

See attached photo: Paul Blanchette and I enjoy Rebreather Week Dominican 2006

Jill Heinerth
    Attached Images

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Re: Recent Rebreather Fatalities

Quote Originally Posted by RebreatherPro.com  View Original Post
    The rebreather diving world got a little smaller in the last couple of weeks with the deaths of three divers in separate accidents. Gene White, Paul Blanchette and Carl Spencer represented the entire spectrum of our community from relatively new to highly experienced, to fully professional rebreather divers. Itís a natural reaction to attempt to insulate ourselves from the events of an accident and think that we would never find ourselves in a similar situation or make similar choices. Playing the guessing game does little good until investigations are complete and more information becomes public. In many cases, this information may take years to unfold. Respect for family privacy, interviews with witnesses, investigations by law enforcement, autopsies and possible product liability issues all add up to significant information lag.

So where can we find comfort in the event of a loss of a close friend, dive buddy or member of our small community? Remember the best times, recall their excellent training, revel in their experiences and celebrate their accomplishments. Then realize they got the same training you did. They took the same precautions and applied diligence to their activities. Rebreather diving is dangerous. So in their memory, bring your very best to every day of diving. Examine risks carefully and do everything you can to stay on top of your game.

See attached photo: Paul Blanchette and I enjoy Rebreather Week Dominican 2006

Jill Heinerth
    Thanks Jill, Paul was a great guy and a very competent rebreather diver. He will be missed by many.

I recognize Patti in the pic is that Kim with the scrunched up face?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Monkeywench ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj is just really nice ljj's Avatar
    Megalodon

very good post, thanks!

Nailer99 Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith has much to be proud of Joshua Smith's Avatar
    Megalodon

Thanks for the post, Jill.

Decodiver

Treat every CCR dive like it may be your last...that's what I do.

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

Very true words. My Instructor told me to tell myself: "this thing is trying to kill me." 3 years and 3 friends gone on the machines of wizardry. Makes me think quite a bit.

Divemaster ken chung ar is on a distinguished road ken chung ar is on a distinguished road ken chung ar's Avatar
    Inhabitant of the City of the Garden for Sharing Pleasure with Every Man and Woman, JAPAN

Quote Originally Posted by rigdiver  View Original Post
    Very true words. My Instructor told me to tell myself: "this thing is trying to kill me." 3 years and 3 friends gone on the machines of wizardry. Makes me think quite a bit.
    Quite true. We cannot be too careful when diving RBs.

Let me site a phrase from Mel's "Rebreathers Simplified":
    "Don't get a false sense of security, there is not one rebreather out there that has our health or best interests at heart".

ken chung ar

RBW Member lift bag mcgee is an unknown quantity at this point lift bag mcgee's Avatar
    HH Extreme, HEAT MCCR

MEG COPIS 1

Sad loss. thanks for the post Jill....scott.

Bad knees, matching brain Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa is a splendid one to behold Marvintpa's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

RB80, Sentinel

Well said Jill.

+ Reply to Thread