+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Setpoint Changing on descent ... What depth, and How ....

Darlene Starr - DIY Diva Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen has a brilliant future Scuba_Vixen's Avatar

Setpoint Changing on descent ... What depth, and How ....

Hi Team,

As most of you know, I've been working on the next generation of leccies for my Dolphin Hybrid.

Among the revisions in this latest iteration, is depth sensor integration. ... Besides giving me the ability to factor depth into the O2 solenoid timing, it opens up the opportunity to allow for setpoint change on descent with some level of system prompting.

As I initially programmed it, it sets the starting setpoint at 0.7 after calibration. At 30' (subject to change), it changes to 1.1 and pops up a screen to "accept or change" that value. When that screen pops up, the HUD locks up with all the LEDs on to get my attention, though I normally stop in that depth range for a general check anyway. If I hit the "accept" button, I'm on the 1.1 setpoint untill / unless I go into my "options" menu and change it. ... If I hit the "change" button, it goes directly to the "options" menu where I can select a different SP.

My question is:
    How do you (or your unit(s)) manage the setpoint change on descent, and if you could program your own scenario, how would it go?

Thanks in advance,

Darlene
    Last edited by Scuba_Vixen; 25th May 2009 at 11:07.

Stéphane Acounis Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane is a name known to all Stephane's Avatar
    rEvo3 rMS

rEvo2 HH, rEvo1

Re: Setpoint Changing on descent ... What depth, and How ....

Hi Darlene,

Changing the set point at descent? No way! I'll do it manually at maximum depth.
    The only time I will do it automatically is in a cave where I would need all my hands.
    On the other hand, changing on ascent is more interesting I think.

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar
    Hammerhead, SF2, Megalodon, JJ

Boris, Sentinel, Inspiration,

Quote Originally Posted by Stephane  View Original Post
    Hi Darlene,

Changing the set point at descent? No way! I'll do it manually at maximum depth.
    The only time I will do it automatically is in a cave where I would need all my hands.
    On the other hand, changing on ascent is more interesting I think.
    I second that... changing on decent introduces to many spikes just switch at target depth.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

I'll do it manually form 10m or 12m, go from .7 to 1.3, i know some say the o2 spike s put iv never had that happen on my unit ,, after the bottom part of my dive i norm push the ppo2 up from 1.3 to 1.4 ish or more from 21m to my 6m stop , then its ADV off , do a few o2 flush s, keep the lungs toped up with o2 till im done with deco ..
    then ist back to low set point wack some more o2 in the lungs and head on up top side ,,

dive s are avg in the 60 to 90 range 3 3+hr long

if i had a setpoint change automatically on descent, pro have it much the same as i do now
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 25th May 2009 at 12:25.

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

What's a leccies?

RBW Member jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tecdivertraining  View Original Post
    I second that... changing on decent introduces to many spikes just switch at target depth.
    I find this depends on your choice of diluent. Don't notice it if using HeliAir mixes (i.e. 10/50) as opposed to optimal mix for target depth. Have regularly changed to high set point at 21m on descent.

RBW Member tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining is a name known to all tecdivertraining's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jptaylor9  View Original Post
    I find this depends on your choice of diluent. Don't notice it if using HeliAir mixes (i.e. 10/50) as opposed to optimal mix for target depth. Have regularly changed to high set point at 21m on descent.
    no reason to risk it in my opinion, 10/52 will still spike in deep water just not in the 60,70 range.

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    What's a leccies?
    probably short for electronics.

Classic Kiss diver Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty is a name known to all Sutty's Avatar
    Classic Kiss 165

How about programming so that you give it a target depth and high setpoint, and its internal target rises linearly as you descend, (eg from 0.7 at surface to 1.3 at 50m), that way your solenoid shouldn't add too quickly on descent avoiding spiking. Another way of thinking about it is that the electronics would be maintaining the FO2 throughout the descent that will have the high set point PO2 at target depth. You would need a facility to confirm end of descent phase ie just maintain high setpoint.

Neil
    Last edited by Sutty; 25th May 2009 at 14:24. Reason: spelling and clarity

Banned MB is an unknown quantity at this point MB's Avatar

Taking the model of the Shearwater controller as a model, I'd program it for a setpoint switch on descent that's user definable, and a second setpoint switch on ascent that's also user definable (and at a different depth). Have a toggle between "auto setpoint switch on" and "auto setpoint switch off" and then you have it all. You can choose to have it switch or not, and define the points for any particular set of conditions.

Here, basically... I have my setpoint switch to "High" depending on dil and depth, but for our basic diving ranges, I have it switch to high about 20-40 feet off the bottom on descent depending on depth. For switch back to "Low", I set it at 10 feet. Deco is done with diluent off and manual PP02 control anyhow.

Dave

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast