+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Virkon S used for cleaning wetsuits?

Troy R. Legner tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Virkon S used for cleaning wetsuits?

Hello all.
    Mixed up a batch of Virkon S to clean my rebreather parts and wondered if anyone has used it to disinfect their wetsuit. I could not find any info other than some one using left over mix to pour in his boots.
    Any ideas on this notion?
    Thanks, T Legner

Petri Keskitalo P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3's Avatar

Re: Virkon S used for cleaning wetsuits?

Why not? I have used it in the past on wetsuits, can't really see any downside. Go for it...

RBW Member RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey will become famous soon enough RBailey's Avatar

I use my left over solution (trigene) for the suit.
    Works well and I'm a lot less concerned about my suits than my beloved yellow box.

Remeber there are two sorts of divers.
    1- Those that pee in there wetsuits

and

2- Those that lie about it !

Cheers,
    Richard B.

Troy R. Legner tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner is on a distinguished road tlegner's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Unhappy Re: Virkon S used for cleaning wetsuits?

Quote Originally Posted by RBailey  View Original Post
    Remeber there are two sorts of divers.
    1- Those that pee in there wetsuits

and

2- Those that lie about it !

Cheers,
    Richard B.
    I can honestly say that these days I don't. I did it once in 1981 at Racine quarry in Wisconsin. It was in February, extremely cold and snowing. Ice was forming on the surface. The warm sensation did not last long but the mess did. Spent all evening in the motel room shower cleaning it.

Usually I have time to rinse and hang dry my suit but I have been diving much more often and the suit never has time to dry. It spends long drives wet in the trunk to and from sites. The trucks broke.
    Has anyone had trouble with Virkon fading colors or effecting the material in any way?
    Thanks, T. Legner

Dive Aqaba Owner Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson is a glorious beacon of light Rod Abbotson's Avatar
    Pelagian

Dolphin, GAF

All used RB disinfectant gets thrown into our wetsuit rinsing tank at the DC

Out here UV rays cause the most damage to soft equipment...even though all divers are taught this at entry level scuba its very very very difficult to get divers not to hang suits up in the sun to dry!

Also makes them shrink...we are not getting fatter

MCCR Dolphin

Thanks for the advice Rod,
    I usually hang mine up in the outter breezeway but it has been raining and colder here the last few days so they pretty much stay moist.
    I will try it on my suit today.
    Any other advice would be greatly appreciated also. My better half is leary of using it since it says it is for chicken coupes, animal, and vet use.
    Anyone know what the mixed solution shelf life is for Virkon S? This batch is a week old in my spray bottle. Info on the net is somewhat conflicting for this.
    Thanks, T L.

Now showing as "Dean Coote" Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver will become famous soon enough Numpty diver's Avatar

The yellow box it comes in has a orange square with a black cross .. i think this means its a irritant.
    Kinda easy to wash virkon off of our lungs/ hoses n rebreather kit..

Possibily a bit harder to get it out of the pores of a wet suit.. ??

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

I don't see why you'd want to rinse a wetsuit in a germicide. Urine is sterile and the smell problems are the result of the proteins in it, not the germs. I've been using a pet stain smell remover called "Petzyme" when my drysuit and 4th element insulation get ripe from sweat and the occasional condom catheter leak. It's lightly fragranced and safe for all materials. You can get it at any Petco for about $14 a gallon.

pl

MCCR Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by pwl4476  View Original Post
    I don't see why you'd want to rinse a wetsuit in a germicide. Urine is sterile and the smell problems are the result of the proteins in it, not the germs. I've been using a pet stain smell remover called "Petzyme" when my drysuit and 4th element insulation get ripe from sweat and the occasional condom catheter leak. It's lightly fragranced and safe for all materials. You can get it at any Petco for about $14 a gallon.

pl
    My situation is more a mildew/ sweat type scenario. My suit has not been able to dry completely all week and most of last week. It does not have any smells to it. I just thought it might be possible to use the Virkon to clean it also while I had a batch mixed up.
    That was a good point about the pours of the suit compared to the lungs of the Rebreather. I guess I would have to rinse it out about like I already do to rinse out the Virkon. The suit still stays moist as it has been with constant use. I might try it in my boots they stay wet longer than the suit does.
    Thanks again, T.L.

RBW Member PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2 is a name known to all PaulTG2's Avatar

My extra solution goes into my dive boots...

Paul
    Paul's first law states that the safety of an activity is determined by how forgiving of mistakes the activity is.

Paul's second law states that the difference between an adventurer and an explorer is whether the doing or the learning comes first.

"Don't be surprised if at the center of every hurricane in your life is an "I"." --paul gernhardt

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast