+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Infection possibly caused by my rebreather

RBW Member jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar is just really nice jepuskar's Avatar

Question Infection possibly caused by my rebreather

Hi,

I did my Mod1 down in Bonaire in late March, returned home feeling fine. Started feeling bad a couple weeks later, not clear if I had done a rebreather dive up here yet or not, as I'm not sure of the timeframe, but if anything it's close.

Been on two rounds of antibiotics, this last time Levaquin, but still feel like crap. It actually didn't really hit me till a couple days ago that it could be my rebreather disinfectant, or more specifically me that is doing something wrong.

I bought 5 Rely On tablets from Rebreather Express when I got back and have been using that for my disinfecting, which has been done after each day of diving. I have been following my training exactly...spraying my hoses and bags, letting them sit and then rinsing throughly.

I'm thinking of switching my disinectant to something else and/or stop rebreather diving until this clears up. Not sure at this point if I'm not disinfecting properly, having a reaction to the Rely On, or maybe this is just unrelated to any of this.

Symptoms: Fever, hot flashes (like a 47yr old woman), little on the weak side. Unproductive cough, not very often...few times a day.

Doctor looked at my throat, glands, etc and told me I do have an infection.

and ofcourse....I did 3 CCR dives today.

RBW Member Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen has much to be proud of Linda Bowen's Avatar

Re: Infection possibly caused by my rebreather

So no improvement at all with antibiotics? Any other symptoms other than listed? Do you still have a fever? How soon after you arrived back in US did symptoms appear?

Was a CBC done, if so what was the WBC and differential.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by jepuskar  View Original Post
    Hi,

I did my Mod1 down in Bonaire in late March, returned home feeling fine. Started feeling bad a couple weeks later, not clear if I had done a rebreather dive up here yet or not, as I'm not sure of the timeframe, but if anything it's close.

Been on two rounds of antibiotics, this last time Levaquin, but still feel like crap. It actually didn't really hit me till a couple days ago that it could be my rebreather disinfectant, or more specifically me that is doing something wrong.

I bought 5 Rely On tablets from Rebreather Express when I got back and have been using that for my disinfecting, which has been done after each day of diving. I have been following my training exactly...spraying my hoses and bags, letting them sit and then rinsing throughly.

I'm thinking of switching my disinectant to something else and/or stop rebreather diving until this clears up. Not sure at this point if I'm not disinfecting properly, having a reaction to the Rely On, or maybe this is just unrelated to any of this.

Symptoms: Fever, hot flashes (like a 47yr old woman), little on the weak side. Unproductive cough, not very often...few times a day.

Doctor looked at my throat, glands, etc and told me I do have an infection.

and ofcourse....I did 3 CCR dives today.
    rely on is the human approved version or virkon.. the recommended concentration is between 1% and 2% soultion.. 1% is used for genral use and 2% is used when a surface comes in contact with body fluids.. the NECESSARY contact time is 10 minutes.. This is by far the strongest agent available for disenfecting.. The only other product I would recomend is microban.

the tablets are 5 grams so about 1/2 liter of water is needed for a 1% solution.. This should NOT be diluted and used as is.. if you need to soak items (which is the proper way) you need to make up considerably more soultion,, I find it takes about 4liters of solution to properly clean a ccr.. remember the volume in the cls are at least 6l! SPray bottles should only be used for wipedown of insignificant surfaces..

You need about 8 tablets per cleaning solution to do it right (or clean everything 1 piece at a time).. (if kept out of th sun the cleaner is good for about a week, the liquid changes color when it goes bad)

SOAKING the hoses and other parts is the proper method, spraying them doenst work that well (there are ways to do it by spraying but you then need a much stronger solution and have to add water to splash around as well, with relyn/virkon the strongest solution you can make is 4%) since its really impossible to guarantee you hit all the surfaces and that they have contact for 10 minutes... This should have been covered...

Also make sure you flush it well with fresh water, it is important to get ris of all residue as it could be an irritant..

p.s.

Have you been checked for Dengue Fever, its incubation time is usualy around 10 days..

you didnt list all the symptoms but here are some

Symptoms of dengue include:
    • fever
    • severe headache
    • pain behind the eyes
    • joint and muscle pain
    • rash
    • nausea/vomiting
    • hemorrhagic (bleeding) manifestations
    Last edited by jradomski; 10th May 2009 at 03:50.
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by jepuskar  View Original Post
    hot flashes (like a 47yr old woman)
    Huh, all this time I thought you WERE a 47 year old woman.

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post

Have you been checked for Dengue Fever, its incubation time is usualy around 10 days..

you didnt list all the symptoms but here are some

Symptoms of dengue include:
    • fever
    • severe headache
    • pain behind the eyes
    • joint and muscle pain
    • rash
    • nausea/vomiting
    • hemorrhagic (bleeding) manifestations
    Having suffered Dengue fever after a trip to the DR a little over two years ago, I can say first hand that you would not be able to have gone diving today if you actually had a case of it. It's nick named "bone breaker fever" and it absolutely feels like every bone in your body is broken. I feel pretty confident that you would not have physically managed to dive while under the effects of Dengue fever. While I was in the worst of it, I thought several times that I would probably be better off dead, and a couple of times thought that I might be pretty close to being there!

As Joe already mentioned, make sure that you have rinsed the disinfectant off thoroughly as it can be a real irritant to your lungs otherwise.

Hope you are feeling better.

Regards,
    Randy

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mixaddict  View Original Post
    Having suffered Dengue fever after a trip to the DR a little over two years ago, I can say first hand that you would not be able to have gone diving today if you actually had a case of it. It's nick named "bone breaker fever" and it absolutely feels like every bone in your body is broken. I feel pretty confident that you would not have physically managed to dive while under the effects of Dengue fever. While I was in the worst of it, I thought several times that I would probably be better off dead, and a couple of times thought that I might be pretty close to being there!

As Joe already mentioned, make sure that you have rinsed the disinfectant off thoroughly as it can be a real irritant to your lungs otherwise.

Hope you are feeling better.

Regards,
    Randy
    I though his symptoms and incubation period were closer to malaria, but checking with the CDC there have been no reported cases there and he hasnt reported cycles f feeli better then worse..
    Joe Radomski

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

The Sunday Dive Club jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara will become famous soon enough jcassara's Avatar
    Hammerhead Inspiration Classic

Inspiration Classic

The Dr looked at your throat and said you have an infection. Did he do a culture and sensitivity test? Was Levaquin the best of the tested antibiotics? CBC and White count? Empiric prescribing is fine for getting a quick start on an A/B but once the C&S is back the A/B should be changed if the C&S provided for a better agent. True sinus infections or infections involving the lymph can require treatment regimens of 3+ weeks. A treatment of steriods such as Medrol or prednisone can also be used to reduce imflamation and improve the overall out come. Steroid nasal sprays such as Flonase or Nasonex are also helpful. Do not use Afrin or similar OTC nasal decongestant sprays. If you do and they offer some relief talk to you Dr. about the Flonase or Nasonex!

As for cleaning the Inspiration I use good old fasion hydrogen peroxide, (H2O2). Allow the H-peroxide to sit in contact as long as is reasonable when cleaning the loop components.

1) I pull all the loop hoses and rinse them with fresh running water. Flush with H-peroxide then fresh water. Hang to drip dry.

2) I pull the MAV from each lung and flush them with fresh water from the T-piece. Replace the MAV pour a pint of H-peroxide into each lung and top off with fresh water. I let this sit.

3) Dump the scrubber and rinse all parts with fresh water (not the head!) then H-peroxide and rinse again. Wipe dry. Leave the head open to the air till dry.

4) Drain the lungs and flush with fresh water. Leave the MAV off and allow the lungs to drip dry.

5) Double check everything was rinsed and flushed and drained!

6) Flush the wing with fresh water and drain.

6) When completely dry reassemble the unit and store with the lungs partly inflated and the mouthpiece closed.

No its always that colour the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler has much to be proud of the diving tiler's Avatar

Can ye lads not get buddy clean ?

Quote Originally Posted by the diving tiler  View Original Post
    Can ye lads not get buddy clean ?

Buddy clean is not worth the money you pay.. its basically trigene I (unless its changed recently but APD doesnt specifiy what the cleaner actually is).. and the way it is sold it can't even be used at the recommened dosage levels.. unless you use the whole bottle at once.. BC has never been approved by the FDA for import into the US..

read the report done by the DDRC back in 2002.. it says it all

the latest version on trigene is called TriGene ADVANCE and it still has to be used in at least a 1% solution.. its usually sold in 500ml bottles that are a 1:10 solution..
    Last edited by jradomski; 10th May 2009 at 15:36.
    Joe Radomski

Mr Fox Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox is a name known to all Soggyfox's Avatar
    Sentinel

KISS

i use Miltons Baby Sterilsing fluid, done me ok for the last 4 years....

also most tap water has a fair percentage of chlorine put in it specifically to kill bugs, you can get fish tank chlorine test kits to find out how much, between dives if its only over night i give my lungs and hoses a swill out with tap water.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast