+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Eyes

ccr apprentice Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN is a glorious beacon of light Philippe GERIN's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Meg 2.7/SW, Copis Meg, SK

Eyes

Hi guys,
    Day before yesterday I went for a small dive in the morning: 40m and 35mn.
    In the afternoon I had an apointment at the eye doctor, so I went. She found that the eye blood pressure was a little high. I know nothing about that as it is the first time I had that kind of check up. Nonetheless, I told her about my diving high FO2 in the morning (I didn't mention ccr and po2 as she knows nothing about it) so she gave me another apointment.
    I didn't dive yesterday before the test and my eye blood pressure was fine. She said that the higher measure of the previous day was probably due to my diving but didn't know for sure.
    BTW nothing to do with enduced myopia, or is there?
    Anyone could shed some light?
    Best
    Philippe

RBW Member Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68's Avatar

Re: Eyes

Very little that relates to what you are talking about.

The most interesting eye-dive related thing I know of is "de-pigmentation of the retna" which "may" be caused by microbubble happens in proportion to the amount of diving and seems to be harmless.

Contacts and diving seems to have a variety of posiable negative effects.

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

As I understand it quite a lot of off-gassing takes place through the eyes, I used to use contact lenses (gas permiable ones) and just after surfacing from a deco dive my vision would be come blurry to a point where I couldnt see to drive the boat back. I assumed at first that this was due to the conact lenses so took them out but the blurriness remained. This condition would return to normal after a couple of hours.

My optician who was also a diver was very interested and looked carefully at my eyes and my lenses. He said he could see no damage to my eyes but the contact lens under a microscope looked like a honey combe, the gas that was escaping through my eyes and the gas surronding the leneses was forming bubbles that were getting trapped in the lens and indenting my eye causing tempory vision problems. The gas was also breaking down the walls of the honey coombe structure... my lenses were slowly disintigrating

I have lenses in my mask now!!

Not really the same as your problem Phillipe but I bet its linked to offgassing

HTH

Dave

RBW Member Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem has a spectacular aura about Guilhem's Avatar

I've been diving with contact lenses for the last 6 years and have never encountered anything like that, even when subjected to a significant saturation.

RBW Member Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68 has a spectacular aura about Gary68's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guilhem  View Original Post
    I've been diving with contact lenses for the last 6 years and have never encountered anything like that, even when subjected to a significant saturation.
    Contact lenses can cause a variety of problems like buildup of bioorganisms, etc - which everyone knows about already.

The depigmentation is not known to many - that's all I was saying. Depigmentation is a seperate issue for all divers and is not noticable with out getting eyes dialated and a flashlight shown into the back of the eyeball. It's unrelated to contacts and has no negative effects that I've ever heard of.

Train Wrecked Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive has a spectacular aura about Canadian Tekdive's Avatar
    rEvo hccr

KISS CLASSIC

My wife has worked in an eye doctors office for 13 years now as their right hand person and often does some of the low end testing like visual fields and air blast test on the eye... stupid machine, she loves shooting me in the eye with that every year. with machines and the doctors test for the pressures.

A good exam will ALWAYS include this. I am amazed every day I hear my wife telling me about how the Eye doctors found out someone has Cancer, or Diabetes or etc etc. From looking in your eyes. IT is amazing how much your eyes can tell a Dr.

But I am sure the increased pressures were from offgasing. Having a virus and being sick is enough for your imune system to cause an increase in eye pressure.

if you want more details I am not at work next week I could stop by the office and see if the one dr would be willing to answer any more specifics you might have...

I am not a Dr. But I tell the women to trust me....lol.... seriously I have learned so much about eyes in 12-13 years. TAKE CARE OF THEM... you only have two and they can often tell a tale long before a normal Dr. will find things out for you.

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

It is widely known in the commercial diving industry especially with SAT divers that the eyes take a beating when diving. Their is no consistency between people and is not something that is easily tracked thus it has not been studied very much just accepted that their is a chance of permanent eye damage. I do not know how many of you notice that when you go deep 200+ your eyes will go out round and it can become hard to focus on anything but what is strait ahead in your field of vision. I notice this I have a hard time reading my computer display unless it is right in front of me. If I am glancing at if from anything but direct it is blurry and the deeper i go the worse that gets. In some of the early test diving days that I was involved in we did visual testing with grids, fonts, and the hidden image pictures. It was interesting to see how depth as well as on and off gassing changed things and what you saw to what was actually there.

Phillippe you are right, in most people the blood pressure will go up in your eyes as well as the fluid density. Putting pressure on the eyes takes it out of shape and they get aggravated. You also have aggravation caused by the offgassing that Dave mentioned as well. Next time you are in ask your eye Doc if I get hit in the eye or get something in it will the pressure go up in it. I think they will say "yes".

Now that Decompression Therapy is becoming common place maybe in a few years we will have better answers to this and many other pressure related items. But for now there is very little on the subject. Most of what is published about it today was done back in the late 80's and early 90's. There are some little tidbits that come out every now and then, but these are not fully published papers and are not recognized medically for the most part. However they can give insight to things, whether it is fact or not? There have been great lengthy debates on subjects over tidbit papers.
    Last edited by Loanwolf; 8th May 2009 at 17:02.

RBW Member jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat's Avatar
    rEvo 3 MICRO FT

rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01

Question --- after lasik surgery 10 years ago, should I worry about this increase in pressure -- specifically how it relates to the scar tissue from the laser correction, and the "flap" area that is cut and peeled back???

BTW -- my deepest depth so far is ~ 60m / 180 feet and I have had no problems to speak of..

John

Dive Deep and Dive Long Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf is a jewel in the rough Loanwolf's Avatar
    rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by gato2  View Original Post
    Question --- after lasik surgery 10 years ago, should I worry about this increase in pressure -- specifically how it relates to the scar tissue from the laser correction, and the "flap" area that is cut and peeled back???

BTW -- my deepest depth so far is ~ 60m / 180 feet and I have had no problems to speak of..

John
    That is a question that needs to be asked of your surgeon. But I would be willing to say that he or she would say they do not know. Lasik surgery is too new. Their are enough problems with the early procedures as they get older, they still do not know the long term outcome of just the surgeries let alone diving as well. Who knows what is going to happen. Only time and data collection will tell, if someone attempts to collect and study the data.

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Just for general reference, my optometrist, after hearing that my eyes go blurry at depth recommended lowering the target po2 range. Since doing this, I get less blurry. with high po2 of 1.3 or higher, and with any mask squeeze at all, below 80 FSW, I can't read the computer screen barely at all and end up trying to hold my wrist as far away as possible, like I need reading glasses.

My optometrist let me know that high po2 in the mask meant high o2 directly in the eye fluid and this was something to be cautios of as I may not be tollerant of this and that it could possibly be hard on my eyes in the long run... but he had little to point to objectively. I do know that some spots in my vision that were barely perceptible are now visible against a white background... mybe i'm just getting old!

g

Gill Envy

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast