+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cable management options

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Cable management options

Hi all
    I am looking to see how everybody manages all of their cables going to the handsets/computers and any of the other crap we strap to ourselves.
    i have been using loops of bungee halfway up the cable and I slip my arm thru the loop to keep the cable nice and neat, but sometimes i am all kitted up and forget to put my arm thru the loop so I am thinking of gluing some Velcro straps to my suit so I could just fold it over the cable.
    Ant ideas?
    thanks again
    Kevin

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Re: Cable management options

Hey man, you tryin to steal my velcro idea? Just kiddin. I had the same idea and a couple of my buddies don't see anything wrong with it. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I was planning to tie off any extra cable in a coil (close to the rig) and use the velcro in the vicinity of my elbow.

Great minds and such!!!
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Supporting Member kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone is just really nice kevin stone's Avatar
    Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Hey man, you tryin to steal my velcro idea? Just kiddin. I had the same idea and a couple of my buddies don't see anything wrong with it. I just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

I was planning to tie off any extra cable in a coil (close to the rig) and use the velcro in the vicinity of my elbow.

Great minds and such!!!
    Hi Don I figured you would have made one out of Aluminum by now.

Reads fine print (mostly) Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather has a brilliant future Skipbreather's Avatar
    MEGALODON MK15.5

BMR500 IDA71 IDA64 RGUFM AKA60

There are various lengths of Velcro tie wraps sold to manage electrical cords- some easily long enough to wrap around a drysuited arm. I use them quite a bit. They even come in a variety of colors so that I can use green for items velcroed to inhale hose (HUD & BOV hose) and red on the exhale side ( ADV hose). Keeps stuff nice & tidy, avoiding the 'danglies'. I've never once had one come loose.

There's another type of Velcro band sold at farm stores called "Flagging Bands" intended for going around the ankle of livestock. They come in a wide variety of colors & are VERY sturdy. They're around 12 ~ 14 inches long and about 1.5 ~ 2 inches wide. If you're really, really cheap like me :D you can even cut them into 2 or 3 strips; I used wide bands for heavier stuff, strips for everything else.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by kevin stone  View Original Post
    Hi Don I figured you would have made one out of Aluminum by now.
    The aluminum kept poking holes in my drysuit whenever I bent my arms. I had to s**t can that idea.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

How about changing the length of the cables so that they are correct just for you. Run them from the head thru the inside panel of the wing so they come out on the side of your backplate and then route them inside your arm. If they are the correct length for this routing then you can still move your arms unrestricted and there is no extra cable hanging out to get snagged. You can try this routing before having the cable lengths changed by rolling up and securing the excess cable somewhere behind the wing between the tanks, cannister and wing.

John

Classic Kiss Hammerhead

Sport Kiss Hammerhead

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    How about changing the length of the cables so that they are correct just for you. Run them from the head thru the inside panel of the wing so they come out on the side of your backplate and then route them inside your arm. If they are the correct length for this routing then you can still move your arms unrestricted and there is no extra cable hanging out to get snagged. You can try this routing before having the cable lengths changed by rolling up and securing the excess cable somewhere behind the wing between the tanks, cannister and wing.

John
    I have been wrapping up the spare cable I still get some loops sometime when I bend my arm, the cable loop tangles in the stage rigging I am thinking a little velcro will be helpful.

RBW Member vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore will become famous soon enough vincnt moore's Avatar
    HAMMERHEAD

Use a safety pin LOL>>>>to your drysuit..

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by kevin stone  View Original Post
    I have been wrapping up the spare cable I still get some loops sometime when I bend my arm, the cable loop tangles in the stage rigging I am thinking a little velcro will be helpful.
    Let me know how you make out with it. I've got to say I am not a big fan of adding one more thing to do at the critical gear up time. For me I think it would be another thing thats sometimes forgotten, a pain to do correctly when you have all the gear on and difficult to do with restricted movement and poor dexterity with cold water gloves.

As I think about it I wonder if doing it might create a possibly more serious issue should you have the cables velcro'd down and you still at some point get part of the cable caught on something. Now you have less leverage and a stronger connection that might not be able to be broken or cut. Not saying its highly probable but might be worth thinking about what might get caught when doing a valve shutdown.....it would be a PIA finishing a deco dive as a one armed diver.

John

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

I would think that 1) the velcro cable would help prevent such occurrences, 2) that if you did get a velcro cable stuck, that pulling the velcro connection apart would be trivial, (it is just velcro) and 3) who cares about valve shutdown? Piss the gas into the wind, cut the handset cable if it came to that and bail out. You do carry enough bailout hopefully....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast