+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is GAP DEAD?

RBW Member Paua is an unknown quantity at this point Paua's Avatar

Cool Re: Is GAP DEAD?

I downloaded GAP when it was a FREE Beta program years ago. (7 or 8 years ago?)

It ran fine on my laptop until my laptop finally died. I have the original 4 floppy discs I originally downloaded it onto and tried to reinstall it on my new laptop. No way? Even this old edition has a bug that means you cannot reload it without registering... and of course paying!

Got V Planner when it was free too. Still works. All only on laptop though.

Not a problem, who needs an underwater dive computer anyway?

For years as an instructor I always drilled into my students the only two things you really have to remember.

1 Plan your dive then dive your plan

2 Breath out when you go up

Easy really,

Cheers,

Paua

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: Is GAP DEAD?

It's now more than 3 months later and I have still not received the bug fix that the developer said in a earlier post had be given to others a long time ago.

Still no response from the developer on any of the bugs.

This is just information for those that might be considering purchasing GAP Software. You might get the same lack of support for the highest priced package so buyer beware. I am certainly dissappointed.

I wonder if the new update we were promised several months ago will be coming anytime soon. Expecially since according to the release note on the developers website there has not been a update for over 2 years.

John

RBW Member Khun Mat is an unknown quantity at this point Khun Mat's Avatar
    Hammerhead Classic

It certainly sounds (reads) like one to avoid.

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    It's now more than 3 months later and I have still not received the bug fix that the developer said in a earlier post had be given to others a long time ago.

Still no response from the developer on any of the bugs.

This is just information for those that might be considering purchasing GAP Software. You might get the same lack of support for the highest priced package so buyer beware. I am certainly dissappointed.

I wonder if the new update we were promised several months ago will be coming anytime soon. Expecially since according to the release note on the developers website there has not been a update for over 2 years.

John

A totally reworked version is undergoing testing and is expected to be released by the end of the year.. This is a 100% rewrite (in fact in anther language). I have been testing it for 2 weeks so far without a single crash on a vista 32 sytem.. I am setting up a windows 7 box this week to test it on that.. windows 98 is not officially supported but it may run...

supported oses are xp through windows 7, it should work on a fuly updated win 2k (not tested)

The report and some drawing bugs were due to a 3rd party product to interface to various ouputs.. That company went out of business and bugs on some systems could not be solved without an update from that product (the bugs ony appeared on certain systems..) "cave" profiles are now easily supported and the system will create stops where needed.. alternating between oc and ccr legs are now very easy..

There are a few small features that need to be added before its released, but the wait should not be that long..

The new version will need a new license number and a system is being written to make the upgrade easy and fast for the end user.. also a full bug tracking system is being put in place so that users can report bugs and track the status..

the software wll be made available once everything is in place..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Joe

I hope everything you listed is indeed completed in a timely manner. It would go along way to allowing me to use the software for its intended purpose and get the value that I paid to have. Additionally, it would go a long way restoring my confidence that the developer is in business to support and improve his package over the long term.

John

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Joe

I hope everything you listed is indeed completed in a timely manner. It would go along way to allowing me to use the software for its intended purpose and get the value that I paid to have. Additionally, it would go a long way restoring my confidence that the developer is in business to support and improve his package over the long term.

John
    Kees has been putting in alot of hours on the rewrite, It retains the ease of a graphical entry but has text edit/entry as well... If it doesnt make it by years end don't worry its definately comming and once its thorougly tested and the support system is in place the software will be posted.. There are so many licenses out here that an automated license upgrade system is needed beofre the software is released..
    Joe Radomski

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    The new version will need a new license number and a system is being written to make the upgrade easy and fast for the end user.. also a full bug tracking system is being put in place so that users can report bugs and track the status..

the software wll be made available once everything is in place..
    Does this mean it will be necessary to purchase the new licence or will it be a free update?? The program was VERY expensive when I bought it and never ever got a single update nor were any of the bugs ever fixed and it crashed nearly every time I ever opened it.

Regards,

Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Does this mean it will be necessary to purchase the new licence or will it be a free update?? The program was VERY expensive when I bought it and never ever got a single update nor were any of the bugs ever fixed and it crashed nearly every time I ever opened it.

Regards,

Lance
    I know the ANDI version will be a free update, and I belive the same is true for the standard version..

I don't know when you purchased your software, but Gap rgbm was released in 2003 and regular updates continued until sept 2007.. Crashes on open usually meant that a shared dll was replaced by another piece of software (or a printer driver was not installed), the last version moved most of the shared resources to the gap folder to prevent this from happening.. Some of m$ofts updated dlls were not compatible with older versions (which gap used due to specific components and dev tools).. there was a problem with an earlier version that centered on the "country/locality" settngs that caused crashes but that was fixed along time ago..
    Joe Radomski

RBW Member luish.felice is an unknown quantity at this point luish.felice's Avatar
    Hollis Prism2

DR O2ptimaFX, Hollis Explorer

Hi,

It is going to have a version for Macintosh?

Quote Originally Posted by luish.felice  View Original Post
    Hi,

It is going to have a version for Macintosh?
    right now you will have to run it in a virtual windows enviroment, however, the rewrite that has been done will allow a mac native version to be done should there be enough demand for it. I think there is more demand for a linux version at this time.
    Joe Radomski

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast