+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is GAP DEAD?

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Re: Is GAP DEAD?

Quote Originally Posted by jradomski  View Original Post
    Thats the X1 version of GAP it, a release version is expected shortly.. Kees refused to release the product as there were issues with the base code supplied by liquivision that he was unhappy with, and he has been writing substituies for alot of the factory supplied code.. He also was forced to take some time off to deal with some personal issues..

as to the PC version, there will be a new release, GAP has been undergoing a major rewrite (it was put aside for a while to concentrate on the X1 version) and no releases will be made until its complete and tested..
    Maybe the issue is a lack of communication.

Can you or Kees outline the changes that are being made to the PC version and an anticipated release date?

Thanks, John

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    Maybe the issue is a lack of communication.

Can you or Kees outline the changes that are being made to the PC version and an anticipated release date?

Thanks, John

there is no anticipated release date.. the "decompression" core rewrite is complete as far as I know, the next step was the user interface.. there are additions that will be made but the core layout will remain as most people have had positive comments about it..

alot of the strange glitches are due to all the variations in versions of windows out there, the more interactive graphics you try and use the more potential you have for wierdness.. I run gap on 3 PCs, 2 xp (1 sp2 , 1 sp3)machines and 1 vista machine and I have no issues with any of these, but I also know of people that have some graphics glitches as well (one person we cured by dumping the oem supplied windows and installing a full windows xp)...
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    So how do you bypass the high tech security system. Don't you have to set your system date back to last century or something to make it work?
    iv not used dr X for a good few year its on a old computer still runnig dos ,
    but i could dig it out and i think it would get a dive table off it ,,

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

I plan with both VPlanner and GAP and compare the tables. I must say if I am looking for a quick answer for some preliminary planning I run it on VPlanner as it is so much quicker.

GAP is a lot more setup intensive but once that's done I like it a lot and it has some really good features not found on some of the other programs.

Any improvement work done to the user interface has to be a welcome improvement and I am now really eager to get a hold of it.

Regards,

Lance

Classic KISS No. 226 RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark is a name known to all RichClark's Avatar
    Classic KISS w. Shearwater GF

I like the V-Planner interface but still put my faith in GFs, so for the time being I'm still using GAP. FWIW, I've never had any problems with GAP or with Kees, and only ever contact to have new license keys generated when I get a new laptop.

Cheers

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wedivebc  View Original Post
    So how do you bypass the high tech security system. Don't you have to set your system date back to last century or something to make it work?
    The version I have got has a batch file which does everything. You run the batch file and it does the date, you just need to reset it to the current date when you're finished.

I was trying to trace who owns the copyright these days but never had much success. I wanted to create a download page so that Dr X wouldn't be forgotten, in its day it helped a lot of people. I might just stick it up anyway, there's no money to be made on it and it's a real piece of history, it would be really sad if DrX just became a memory.

Cheers,

Stuart

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post
    The version I have got has a batch file which does everything. You run the batch file and it does the date, you just need to reset it to the current date when you're finished.

I was trying to trace who owns the copyright these days but never had much success. I wanted to create a download page so that Dr X wouldn't be forgotten, in its day it helped a lot of people. I might just stick it up anyway, there's no money to be made on it and it's a real piece of history, it would be really sad if DrX just became a memory.

Cheers,

Stuart
    I agree it is a significant piece of diving history. Even though Sheck was long gone by the time I did my trimix training it was the software we used for all our dives. I nuked my copy by trying to run it without changing the system date. It seems to have damaged a file or something.
    Care to share?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

Quote Originally Posted by lizardland  View Original Post

Cheers,

Stuart
    i cant remember how i did the date thing but it could be changed in one of the files as you say ,, ill have a look see if i cant get it going again ,,
    computer it,s on ant in the best of health but ill have a look and if i can get in going ill be happy to pass a copy on ,

yes it a piece of diving history ,, stu your program was good to,
    i spent a lot of time playing with your planner ,, did like the feet per min travel thing ,, for cave diving ,,

your smarter than you look m8 lol :)

RBW Member tbaldi is an unknown quantity at this point tbaldi's Avatar

I have an old copy of Dr. X somewhere at home. Prior to running Dr. X there was another program called "Date Faker" that needed to be run. It made the program think your PC clock reset so the program wouldn't time out.

Dr. X was a great piece of software for its time. Impressive and easy to use.

TB

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    i cant remember how i did the date thing but it could be changed in one of the files as you say ,, ill have a look see if i cant get it going again ,,
    computer it,s on ant in the best of health but ill have a look and if i can get in going ill be happy to pass a copy on ,

yes it a piece of diving history ,, stu your program was good to,
    i spent a lot of time playing with your planner ,, did like the feet per min travel thing ,, for cave diving ,,

your smarter than you look m8 lol :)

RBW Member Kees Hofwegen is an unknown quantity at this point Kees Hofwegen's Avatar

No still alive and kicking.

As Joe mentioned, I had some problems with personal life and decisions to make about the future of my life. Well thatís sorted out, decision made! full fletched ahead with only GAP-Software, my own company.

So first on the agenda was the gap-x1 software which is sorted out now and will be released on 1-aug-2009. The full XLINK support after that.

GAP desktop software needs a update, cave support, new decompression model and individual leg support (OC and CCR), plus bug fixes. Iím nor happy with the reports and the paper generation. So expect changes in that area too.

Then GAP-Lite support for mobile 5 and 6 and perhaps a IPhone RGBM version of the gap-lite software.

So no, we are not dead

Greetings Kees

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast