+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Is GAP DEAD?

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Is GAP DEAD?

Maybe this should be a memorial thread for the GAP decompression program.

With each new release of V Planner Live I continue to get a stronger and stronger feeling that I made the wrong decision to invest in the GAP software and once again have been shammed by another garage shop supplier that are all too common in the CCR business.

Two years ago I was convinced to buy the full featured GAP program and since that time the honeymoon was rocky and the marriage is now on life support.

From the first date the graphics have never really displayed correctly on any PC. Not a big problem but an annoyance. I can not say that I have seen the software download any updates in that time even though it checks everytime I start the program. When I got Cave certified I discovered it does not meet the needs of planning a cave dive and now I see new release after new release of V-Planner Live and looking at the GAP website it appears the version of GAP for the X1 is still in Beta. It feels like the knife is being twisted in my back everytime I see a new post by Ross about the nice stuff in V-Planner Live.

Seems to me that GAP is no longer supported and is slowly and quietly fading away into non-existence leaving all those that paid for the software holding the bag.....that old saying comes to mind.....buyer beware.

How do the other GAP users feel?

john

New Member henckell will become famous soon enough henckell will become famous soon enough henckell will become famous soon enough henckell's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Classic KISS

Megalodon, Poseidon Mk VI

Re: Is GAP DEAD?

Hi John,

have you tried the latest version? It contains supports for the X-Link and I know work is ongoing on the current consumption fix that will increase battery life by a factor of up to 4!

Release GAP-X1 software | Bugstracker

Regards,
    Henrik

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by henckell  View Original Post
    Hi John,

have you tried the latest version? It contains supports for the X-Link and I know work is ongoing on the current consumption fix that will increase battery life by a factor of up to 4!

Release GAP-X1 software | Bugstracker

Regards,
    Henrik
    No I have not tried it. I would be concerned that it says on the GAP website that it is in Beta. Not sure how I feel about paying to be a Beta tester.

From the GAP website...
    Enter the Beta test program

€ 80,00 (final version € 120,00)

John
    Last edited by jkaterenchuk; 19th April 2009 at 13:59.

Hammermeg, Copis2, Kiss divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe is just really nice divingabe's Avatar
    Meg 2.7, Hammermeg, copis meg

Kiss Sport, Draeger dolphin

(How do the other GAP users feel?)

I also purchased Gap from Andi several years ago, and not being very computer savvy I found it to be difficult to use for planning. It served its purpose for OC wreck dives but was useless for planning cave dives. I purchased a copy of V-Planner about six months after Gap, and I have been very happy with its ease of use. I am disappointed with the Gap purchase for the price at the time $180. it should have been much more adaptable and as you have mentioned updated to be so. I purchased V-Planner for $70 app. and it has fullfilled my needs and is quite user friendly.
    Especially for cave planning on gas consumption in case of bail out situations. I still have Gap but have not even accessed it in a couple of years.
    Of course this is my personal choice and comfort zone.
    I never recommend it to anyone asking for a deco program.
    Gabe

RBW Member pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476 has a spectacular aura about pwl4476's Avatar
    Meg

Good morning John,

I don't know much about GAP, but I have an X1 and so check the X1 forum set up by Liquivision every few days. I thinks it's an owner's only forum and you need a serial number to join.

In any case there is a software section that has a separate folder for Vplanner live (which I run) and another for GAP. I've seen very little activity on the GAP folder in the past few months and there has been an unanswered question at the GAP folder since 2-23. The last post that I saw by the GAP developers (September 2008) indicated that there would be a new release in December 2008. On 2-23 a GAP user asked about the release, which apparently didn't happen. No answer that I can find.

GAP's lack of involvement and response isn't a good sign.

Paul

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

When the new GAP came out I downloaded the trial version and during my trial I found several bugs. I notified Joe Radomski who was working with Kees in some capacity since the fixes were made and posted within hours of them being reported. I chose not to buy a copy because like yourself I didn't feel the graphics were being handled well and it always felt a little buggy.
    That was 4 years ago now. ANDI made this software a requirement for all trimix instructors to teach during an ANDI course but I never purchased it. I just had students download the trial copy.
    I don't know what to say except maybe you should find a different software that is being supported.
    I once purchased Abyssal Deco software at great expenses but never trusted that buggy program enough to do a single dive with it. What a huge waste of money that was.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

RBW Member Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1 has a reputation beyond repute Gobfish1's Avatar
    ybod

would not say its dead

i remember my first deco program £120 proplanner was the dogs
    but now its not ,, thats the way of things

i have a few planners and i can make them all come out with what ever numbers / runtimes i like ,, i like z plan my self or dd plan put even with all the new tables out there .. i alway seem to give them a comp with me old proplanned see how they pan out ,, not cos its better ,, just cos iv dived pro planned and z plan and ddplan and did not get bent ,, there my bench mark

so i would think gap will be the benchmark for same guys for a time ,
    just as proplanner was /is for me
    it will never die ,, put it may get hard to flog it ,, lol

i still got a doctox X some place .. and it can still put out a table that i could use to day ,, toss in a few deep stop s and it come in with numbers much like all the rest ,,
    Last edited by Gobfish1; 19th April 2009 at 17:30.

RBW Member Alan is an unknown quantity at this point Alan's Avatar
    SF2

Ouroboros, Draeger

I can't speak for the owners of GAP as to why you may be having support issues but I've personally been completely satisfied with the software. Switched to GAP many years ago for the RGBM due to unrealistic deco times offered by popular trimix capable computers and other table software (not just a few minutes but a 3 hr difference for a 35 min. at 380' profile!) Never use the multi-level steps in software; simply dive a Uwatec BT/TEC2G/Galileo instrument with active average depth and utilize the appropriate table & standard gases. Have hundreds of OC wreck, cave and deep gas dives without decompression issues. Went closed-circuit in 2006 with a Boros, cut CCR tables, again without issue. Recommend the program for my students and have found bailout calcs to be realistic when a true SAC has been used.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Gobfish1  View Original Post
    i still got a doctox X some place .. and it can still put out a table that i could use to day ,, toss in a few deep stop s and it come in with numbers much like all the rest ,,
    So how do you bypass the high tech security system. Don't you have to set your system date back to last century or something to make it work?
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Quote Originally Posted by jkaterenchuk  View Original Post
    No I have not tried it. I would be concerned that it says on the GAP website that it is in Beta. Not sure how I feel about paying to be a Beta tester.

From the GAP website...
    Enter the Beta test program

€ 80,00 (final version € 120,00)

John

Thats the X1 version of GAP it, a release version is expected shortly.. Kees refused to release the product as there were issues with the base code supplied by liquivision that he was unhappy with, and he has been writing substituies for alot of the factory supplied code.. He also was forced to take some time off to deal with some personal issues..

as to the PC version, there will be a new release, GAP has been undergoing a major rewrite (it was put aside for a while to concentrate on the X1 version) and no releases will be made until its complete and tested..
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast