+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: New cave and deep cave exploration Thailand

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

New cave and deep cave exploration Thailand

Hi guys,

What better way to spend christmas day than on a deep cave dive!. Kinda weird being in the head pool surrounded by elephants though!:D

I have been fortunate to link up with Andibk and Cedric for a 2 week trip to search for and explore some new caves in a remote part of Thailand as well as to dive a known deep cave.

We hit pay dirt on our first attempt and found a really beautiful virgin cave with lovely formations. We managed to lay quite a bit of line. The area we were searching has heaps of potential for other caves and we certainly will be coming back to explore some more. I think Thailand has great potential for caves.

Today was our first set up dive on the deep cave. We staged tanks at 6, 21, 40 and 80m and just got a general feel for the cave. Tomorrow we aim to reach 120m and the next day push beyond.

We are using Meg, an Evolution and a MK15.5 - so far all without a hitch. Andibk has done a great job of organising the logistics and gear for this expedition I must say.

Attached some nice pics of the new cave plus one of the elephants that was around the headpool today.

I hope to take some more pics - but I erm, well, kinda forgot to bring my camera back out of the cave from where I had staged it....I hope it will be ok overnight - I guess nobody is going to be stealing it at least:D

Happy christmas and new year to all.

Mike

S21 M.I.B. cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier is just really nice cedricverdier's Avatar

Re: New cave and deep cave exploration Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike
    We are using Meg, an Evolution and a MK15.5 - so far all without a hitch.
    Mike
    No Hitch!!!

You forget to say that an elephant tried to stepped on my Meg...

Cheers

New Member Andre is an unknown quantity at this point Andre's Avatar

Hi Mike
    In which area of Thailand did you do the cave diving? Secret?

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

GO Guys GO !!!!!

All my best

Jerome

PS Don't worry Mike, I left my camera many times in a pool of a cave overnight and the fishes never found out how to use it :)
    Last edited by DrJM; 25th December 2005 at 18:13.

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

The caves are in southern Thailand, some of the sites I could not get back to myself if it wasn't for a GPS. The first cave we explored we had to take a long tail boat for a hour ride of nothing but walls and cliffs all around. Once we got out we stayed at a place that had floating rafts for us to sleep. They prepared 3 square meals a day for us plus whatever else we needed. Actually the majority of Thailands southern and western side is made up of alot of limestone. I have found numerous caverns/cave just north of Bangkok also. Possible later this year we will be heading way up north Thailand to a place called Mae Hong Son(near Chang Mai). I have been in Thailand for 11 years and never even been there myself. I have talked to some expats that live up there and says there is great potential for some caves.

andibk

New Member Andre is an unknown quantity at this point Andre's Avatar

I would like to do some cave diving one day. Is there a way to join someone?

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

You can catch us here on this site just about everyday. We can run just about all levels of technical, RB and cave courses. When ever you get the time just drop us a line, would be glad to have you join us.

andibk

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Little update,

We extended the line down to 127m today and the cave just keeps on going.

Only small misshap was I ran out of inflation gas :o Interesting to see my VR3s still showing an hour of deco left to do when we cleared VPMB schedule

Tomorrow we are planning to push to 150m as long as we dont run out of cave :D

Cheers
    Mike

Deep Cave Explorer DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM is a glorious beacon of light DrJM's Avatar

Only small misshap was I ran out of inflation gas
    A good friend of mine who is on this list, ran out of a 3 lit at -163m, thanks god he had the scooter to tow him up :p

Did happen many times to me also passed -130m with a 3 lit even at 300b, using nowadays a 7 lit 240b when deeper than -120m ;)

Interesting to see my VR3s still showing an hour of deco left to do when we cleared VPMB schedule
    C'mon be conservative follow your VR3 !!! you're playing in the unknown of hyperbaric medecin :p

Tomorrow we are planning to push to 150m as long as we dont run out of cave :D
    May the force be with you guys and keep us posted !!!

Regards

Jerome

PS what's the temp of the water ?

Pushed to -145m today and the cave just keeps on going down:D The water is Gin clear sub 90m - at least it is infront of me :D

Water is about 26 deg C. Started shivering at 48m.
    Last edited by Drmike; 27th December 2005 at 11:39.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast