+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jim Atria Trip report with Parrot Island 3-1-09

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Jim Atria Trip report with Parrot Island 3-1-09

So the SCRUBS and the E-divers merged forces to take over Parrot Island's boat Fish Food for a trip to the Jim Atria sunday afternoon. In attendance from the SCRUBS were Dsix36, SWAdiver, DiverLee, Netmage, and myself.

The forecast called for 2-4, and didn't lie as even though the winds were southwest, the seas were a choppy 2 feet or so.

Upon arrival, we geared up. Dsix36 and myself were the first to splash. We descended down the line and found a knot or so of current - enough to be annoying, but the vis was ok, at about 40' or so. The Atria is a really nice wreck for those of you who have not dove it, and sits in about 132' of water.

Dsix and myself had both agreed on a maximum of 10 minutes of deco. After a very short bottom time, my Shearwater Pursuit set to 30/85, showed a TTS of 14 minutes, with a 4 minute stop at 40 feet. I signaled to Dsix to thumb the dive. Don at the time, questioned my decision to end the dive early (his Pursuit showed nowhere near the deco mine did) but the good buddy he is, he followed me to the anchor line without question. I heard some hollering, and we both looked to Swadiver, who was gesticulating wildly and hollering through his mouthpiece, wondering why we were leaving so early.

So Dsix and I start ascending. My deco seems to be increasing, even though I am ascending, and at 80 feet, I noticed my TTS had increased to 17 minutes. So long story short, it turns out I am a dumbass, and somehow my Pursuit was set to an O/C dive on air, instead of the CC 21/35 I was actually using. Oh well.

We surfaced to find the same "sporty" seas. We climbed out of our gear, and one OC diver decided to get sick, and blew chunks in the water right next to Don and my rEvo's. A bit of spray hit our units, and DiverLee, who had sat out the dive, was kind enough to rinse them off for us.

After a bit of a surface interval, we geared up again for generic Ft Lauderdale reef. I had with me a Canon Rebel XTI 450D and Sea & Sea housing to try out. Mr and Mrs Swadiver, Netmage and myself splashed. (Dsix had a mouthpiece issue and would join us shortly.) We manage a nice drift along the boring reef. Jeff posed for me while I shot pictures. Netmage, who would later tell me that he had worried with me following with a camera in tow - thinking any imperfection in his diving would result in some sort of RBW scandal, maintained a perfect cave trim the entire time. Tim did find one rather large octopus for So Fla, and the creature was kind enough to pose for one shot for me.

So we ascend without incident, and the usual post-dive BS ensued while we motored in. As we came into the Hillsboro Inlet, we all felt Jerry the boat captain, throttle down hard. I looked, and floating in the middle of the very narrow and very dangerous inlet, was some douchebag floating on what appeared to be 2 seat cushions. I'm still not sure what he was doing there, or why, but it he evidentially jumped or fell of a nearby anchored boat. The boat, incidentally was anchored almost dead center of the nasty inlet as well. We picked up the refugee and dropped him off at his boat, who began pulling up anchor. What was hilarious, was the boat anchor came up with a rusted lawn chair attached.

Our post dive debriefing took place at the Bru's Room, with Swadiviver getting drunk and telling all sorts of inappropriate off-color jokes, and DiverLee made me spoon feed her like a 3 year old.

Another great day!

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Re: Jim Atria Trip report with Parrot Island 3-1-09

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Great report. For those not from FL, how far is the wreck from Pompano, where did you have to drive to ?

I think I dove Generic South Florida reef before. Is it the one with the corals and the fishes ?

Erik

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Nice job with the pics Tony!!

I'm bummed about having to miss the dive, but I'm glad you guys had a nice time.

BTW, inquiring minds want to know...what's the story with Don sporting the Michael Jackson look and only wearing one glove???

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Great report. For those not from FL, how far is the wreck from Pompano, where did you have to drive to ?

I think I dove Generic South Florida reef before. Is it the one with the corals and the fishes ?

Erik
    Parrot Island (the dive op) is right inside the Hillsboro inlet bridge in Pompano... It's the set of 2 dive boats you would pass if diving w/ Oliver as you round the bend out the inlet...

The Atria is one of the furthest south wrecks we dive (other than say Tenneco, which we'd use a different op closer...).

Scubatyme has a nice map showing where the recreational wrecks are in relation to land....
    .:: SCUBATYME ::.

RBW Member Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee is just really nice Diverlee's Avatar
    OPTIMA

Nice trip report Tony. I thought the seas were alot more than 2-4. Thats just my opinion. Great pictures. I am curious about the one that looks like Jeff is riding you, whats up with that one?
    You know you enjoyed spoon feeding me.;)

KISS

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Nice job with the pics Tony!!
    BTW, inquiring minds want to know...what's the story with Don sporting the Michael Jackson look and only wearing one glove???]
    Good eye Adrian. I asked him the same thing, and he said he was trying to start a new diving trend.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverlee  View Original Post
    I am curious about the one that looks like Jeff is riding you, whats up with that one?
    Not quite sure myself. I felt someone on my back and turned the camera to catch the person in the act. Jeff was clearly up to no good on that dive. The second to last shot is one of Jeff trying to shut off Danielle's gas supply in a clear attempt to kill her. Good thing I saw this, and intervened.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    BTW, inquiring minds want to know...what's the story with Don sporting the Michael Jackson look and only wearing one glove???
    Being the great diver and all around good friend, I was just trying to take some of the heat off of Hello Kitty. It didn't work. Tim is branded for life.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Mostly cold ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown's Avatar
    Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel

rEvo II & III Minis & Micros

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    it turns out I am a dumbass, and somehow my Pursuit was set to an O/C dive on air, instead of the CC 21/35 I was actually using. Oh well.
    LOL! Of course I have NEVER done that

Allegedly it can be even more amusing / scary / bizarre when all your OC gasses are rich and you also get the high PP02 warning on the SW when all your dreams and huds are within range. Or so Im told...

+ Reply to Thread