+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed nose/sinuses after rebreatherdiving

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: Stuffed nose/sinuses after rebreatherdiving

my 2 cents, for what it's worth: try flying a little positive... don't take minimum loop volume too literally. OC gives you slightly positive to neutral gas, I've noticed CCR leaves me chronically slightly negative... makes it real easy to screw up my ears and can cause my sinuses to swell, not snot, more like edema of the tissues. Try laying face down for a while with your head lower than the rest of the body and see if you get the same effect... that's your sinuse tissues swelling up with fluid, not your nose filling up with snot, stand up and voilla, the pressure drains... accept with diving it's much more prolonged.

g

Quote Originally Posted by Rubis  View Original Post
    Hi,

I am using Vikron as desinfectant.

I don't think the mask squeeze is the issue. I get a stuffed nose but without snot. The good news is I have no problems equalizing the ears, it's just difficult to talk or sleep at night.

Gill Envy

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Envy  View Original Post
    my 2 cents, for what it's worth: try flying a little positive... don't take minimum loop volume too literally. OC gives you slightly positive to neutral gas, I've noticed CCR leaves me chronically slightly negative... makes it real easy to screw up my ears and can cause my sinuses to swell, not snot, more like edema of the tissues. Try laying face down for a while with your head lower than the rest of the body and see if you get the same effect... that's your sinuse tissues swelling up with fluid, not your nose filling up with snot, stand up and voilla, the pressure drains... accept with diving it's much more prolonged.

g
    That is why we have added a manual diluent valve, but O2 deco really causes stuffiness in me. Oh, and stay away from me when I suface, at least until I clear tubes.

Dale

RBW Member Rubis is an unknown quantity at this point Rubis's Avatar

Hi,

Thank you all for your replies.

I still cannot make sense out of this though. I don't get snot, it's more like having swelled tissue. I have not had the issue on Open circuit (but I have not dived OC for a while), at least it does not last for so long. I dived saturday and it's still there today.

The type of symptoms are close to an allergic rhinitis, however when I dive in caves I am usually using antiallergic medications due to the high presence of furry pets with our friends ... :D
    For the same reason I use to irrigate the nose cavities with saline water before and after, as it usually helps with stuffed nose.

I also tend to be a little bit above minimum loop volume for better WOB and to avoid ear equalization issues (negative pressure).

Now that I think about it ... I am wondering if I need to change my mask. As I might have contact of water with nasal cavities and spring water is full of bacteria and probably cause limited infections (although that would not explain the sweling )
    In salt water that would not be an issue, actually probably that would help keep the nose cavities clean.

I will try another mask next week-end and I'll see how that goes

RBW Member cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3 will become famous soon enough cadblaster3's Avatar
    Inspiration, Micro rEvo

Any chance of reactions to sorb dust ? You mentioned taking antiallergic medications. Perhaps try different brand sorb..........

RBW Member Jasper180 is an unknown quantity at this point Jasper180's Avatar
    Pelagian

Bringing this thread alive instead of starting a new one.

I am have sinus issue after diving on rebreather that I do not have on OC. I have a lot of "snot" during the dive, the problem startes later when my nose plugs solid and the entire next day have sinus cold symptons, runny nose and congestion. The last four weeks I have dove OC two weekends and CCR two weekends, the OC weekends no issues CCR weekends same as past CCR dives.

I intitially was thinking allergic reaction to disifectic or sorb

Thanks
    Erik

RBW Member GeorgiaWrecker will become famous soon enough GeorgiaWrecker will become famous soon enough GeorgiaWrecker will become famous soon enough GeorgiaWrecker will become famous soon enough GeorgiaWrecker's Avatar

This happens to me, too, in freshwater more than in salt, and more when using Sofnolime than when using Draeger Dive Sorb. I'd appreciate any insight.
    Last edited by GeorgiaWrecker; 18th October 2009 at 23:45. Reason: correct typo

RBW Member Jasper180 is an unknown quantity at this point Jasper180's Avatar
    Pelagian

additional info: have only been on rebreather in freshwater so can't compare to saltwater also have only used sofnolime

Erik

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

I have noticed my sinuses get so blocked I can hardly breathe through the nose when I am on deep/long dives also. I use a FFM and add and vent the loop through the nose so it is more noticeable for me.

I also find a good blow out produces copious quantities of gooey mucus once back on the boat and then I am ok.......

I remember reading somewhere someone saying about snorting some water into your nose the clear it out and I have to admit I thought what a terrible remedy. But after trying it....WOW it works a treat!!

Just sniff in a small quantity in each nostril and then blow to clear it out. Clear as a whistle and it's no where near as bad as I had though to do it.

Anyone else tried it??

Regards,

Lance

Another Dilligaf Diver nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer is a glorious beacon of light nicothesailer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    I have noticed my sinuses get so blocked I can hardly breathe through the nose when I am on deep/long dives also. I use a FFM and add and vent the loop through the nose so it is more noticeable for me.

I also find a good blow out produces copious quantities of gooey mucus once back on the boat and then I am ok.......

I remember reading somewhere someone saying about snorting some water into your nose the clear it out and I have to admit I thought what a terrible remedy. But after trying it....WOW it works a treat!!

Just sniff in a small quantity in each nostril and then blow to clear it out. Clear as a whistle and it's no where near as bad as I had though to do it.

Anyone else tried it??

Regards,

Lance

Every day in the shower after work, only way I know to keep it clean!

Regards...Paul

Too ugly to get laid bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman is a jewel in the rough bherman's Avatar
    Hammerhead Classic

Only found it to work when using salt-water. Snort in 'till it gets all the way through the nose. When trying that with fresh-water there's either no change or a worsening.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast