+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diving with the Pelagian RB

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

Diving with the Pelagian RB

After teaching some cavern courses I got the chance to spend 3 days diving with Andy Fritz the owner and designer of the Pelagian rebreather. After diving with the Inspiration I could not believe how light the Pelagian felt on shore and in the water. The trim was awesome and super easy maintaining a Po2. If you get the chance to take a try dive it is definetly worth it.

andibk

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

Re: Diving with the Pelagian RB

andi, thanks for the report... were you adjusting the needle valve "on the fly" or did you have the flow rate set at a constant throughout the dive? how deep did you go? Did you notice much change with flow rate at depth? for those of us who have not had a chance to dive the Pelagian, the question often comes down to the "mystery" of the needle valve. For some reason the needle valve brings up aprehensions for many, though every time I hear a report from people diving the Pelagian, it sounds like a non-issue, much like the apprehensions around mCCR diving in general. One would think that for all the hemming and hawing that goes on around the "depth limited" design of MFO mCCR's, that folks would be embracing the needle valve with enthusiasm as it seems a nice balance between the limits of constant IP and the dreaded solenoid/set point controller of the eCCR.

any reflections on this would be appreciated.

g

Gill Envy

RBW Member jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold is a jewel in the rough jlovold's Avatar
    rEvo III Micro FT

Pelagian DCCCR

I dive the Pelagian myself, and I adjust the needle-valve on the fly...

You adjust the needle-valve, and watch your PO2 stabilize, and then you may not need to adjust it for several minutes (My personal "best" is not to touch it in about 10mins), but you still need to keep an eye on your PO2!

You should be getting 1% of increased flow for every meter you descend, but in practice, you close, or reduce the flow during your descent, and adjust it when you are on your target depth... If you need to increase your PO2 a bit, you can also push the O2-add button.

I find the needle-valve very simple and intuitive to use

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar

IF you have a good ideal of what your metabolism rate is makes it much easier. Once you know that you can use a flow meter to see how many turns it takes to get that proper flow. During the dive if you notice that you are working harder you can very easily adjust the valve or you can hit a button to add a bit of 02 into the system. After a couple of dives this was a very and simple thing to do. The dives we did were in the 30-35 meter range. The needle valve is in between two hoses which helps to protect the valve from accidently being turned on, This helped from making to big of adjustments also. If I made 3 rolls would be about one full turn.
    The unit I had a nice BOV that worked real easy and did not seem to be big, heavy and bulky like some of the others I have used in the past. The counterlungs were nice and streamlined and the front area was much more open then on over the shoulder counter lungs that I have used before.The unit has been tested down to 180 meter without any issues which was a big seller for me.

andibk

for a world of water OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity is a splendid one to behold OceanOpportunity's Avatar
    homebuild/custom

we dont hear much about the pelagian on RBW..thanks for sharing.

Couple questions if you care to elaborate?:

1. how is it diving with 2 cells? any initial discomforting thoughts, or does it all make good sense (as it does to me)

2. were any plans revealed for a back mounted counter lung version? this is my hangup with buying any unit these days...I just dont like OTS.

The unit I dove with had a small easy to read counsel that showed two displays. I had a Shearwater hooked up for the third cell and giving me all the real life deco display. We had talked about the back mounted counter lungs the other day. I am at his factory today here in Koh Samui Thailand and will speak to him again. The counter lungs the way he has it designed leaves alot of the front area open not like other units I have seen and dove with in the past.

andibk

Shearwater Copis Diver Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy has a reputation beyond repute Gill Envy's Avatar
    Copis Meg and rEvo III

Evolution

andibk,
    thanks for being so forthcoming. if you could, ask also if there is a way to plumb a HUD, like the shearwater HUD... as in, are there enough additional ports in the head for that.

Gill Envy

The head is nice and compact. I will ask him when I seem him in a few hours to see you could plum a HUD into the system and get back to you. Inside the head it used the 9 volt batteries. One thing I noticed is that there was very little condensation in the head at least compared to the Inspiration.

andibk

I was able to get a few questions answered over breakfast. Yes a HUD display can be hooked up into the unit. Reguarding the question on back mounted counterlungs they are not developed as of yet. Compared to other units you actually only have about 50% of the clutter in front of you. The counterlungs actually wrap around you back to your hip. This actually helps bring some air and lift near your hips. Andy does have a website that you can click onto on RBW mainpage. It would probable be best to click on his site and email him directly for any of the real technical information.

andibk

Petri Keskitalo P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3 is a jewel in the rough P3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OceanOpportunity  View Original Post
    we dont hear much about the pelagian on RBW..thanks for sharing.

Couple questions if you care to elaborate?:

1. how is it diving with 2 cells? any initial discomforting thoughts, or does it all make good sense (as it does to me)

2. were any plans revealed for a back mounted counter lung version? this is my hangup with buying any unit these days...I just dont like OTS.
    There is no problem diving it with two cells, but everyone i know dives it with three cells. It's a common misconception that you only have two cells, there is three cells in the head.

This is probably the only unit i could dive somewhat comfortably with only one working cell thanks to the instant validation function. When you trigger the ADV it blows across the cell membrane giving you a validation each time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast