+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 11 Pounds of Stainless

San Diego rEvo Mafia "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon"'s Avatar
    rEvo II

11 Pounds of Stainless

Can't remember why I thought I would try this project, but this is what 11 pounds of 304 looks like. The head weight will not look like this when it is done of course. I have a few more hours of grinding to do.

There are 4, 3/8 plates 4"x6" each. When I am done grinding/shaping/coating them, 2 will go under the scrubber guard and 2 on top. Should be pretty low profile. They will be removable so I can switch to lead for travel.

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

Re: 11 Pounds of Stainless

Ok a serious question - why didn't you just go with sheet lead? Denser and easier to work with.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

San Diego rEvo Mafia "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon" has a spectacular aura about "The Brandon"'s Avatar
    rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    Ok a serious question - why didn't you just go with sheet lead? Denser and easier to work with.
    That would have been too easy. And didn't know lead came in sheets. Isn't SS much prettier anyway?

So professor............Why didn't you mention that when we were figuring out the specific gravity of SS vs. lead?

So Cal Tech Diver aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie has a reputation beyond repute aainslie's Avatar
    Meg

Inspo (when it works)

...So I could bust your balls AFTER you'd used SS?

:)

Lead's pretty easy to mold if you're not too worried about the fumes or are good at holding your breath near the heat source, so it's pretty easy to make sheets any thickness. Shove it in a big-assed old thick pot on the BBQ, keep your distance, and switch off when molten (holding your breath). Wait for it to cool. Also if you have access to industrial supplies you can get it in sheets.

Still, it'll look pretty this way.
    Andrew Ainslie

Buhlmann = Bend and Mend
    VPM/RGBM = Mend and Bend
    GF 35-50/70-85 = Mend and Mend

rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by aainslie  View Original Post
    ...So I could bust your balls AFTER you'd used SS?

:)

Still, it'll look pretty this way.
    Remember I made lead head weights for the CK and sold like 40 of them on RBW. I am very familiar with the smelting of the lead.

I just wanted to try something different. Maybe I'll have it powdercoated pink? Or Line-X'd.

rEvo Shearwater tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13 has a spectacular aura about tony13's Avatar
    rEvo

Brandon I took an old weight belt weight and tywrapped it to the underside of the scrubber guard. Nice and low profile, can't even tell it's there. I've been meaning to change out the tywraps and thru-bolt it, but haven't got to it yet.

rEvo II

Quote Originally Posted by tony13  View Original Post
    Brandon I took an old weight belt weight and tywrapped it to the underside of the scrubber guard. Nice and low profile, can't even tell it's there. I've been meaning to change out the tywraps and thru-bolt it, but haven't got to it yet.
    Fits nicely in there.
    I had 2 small weight pockets with 5lb soft lead each in them on top of the scrubber guard, as I think most people do. It all works. I was just looking to make something that looks like factory work. Kinda like the result of the KISS weight.

There is no way to ever sell these. About $60 in SS and 4 hours of work. Not cool.

RBW Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

it would be nice if you sd guys could post the stock number of the deep outdoors pocket you are using. i want to get one or two. easier when traveling to use a pocket system.

RBW Member escafandro is an unknown quantity at this point escafandro's Avatar
    rEvo

Hi Al,
    What most of us are using is the Deep Outdoors Mini Ballast weight pocket, item number 02094.
    Each one is good for up to 5-6 pounds.
    Give a call to Robin or Tyler and I'm sure that they will help you.
    Safe dives!
    Marco

Ops, sorry Brandon for hijack your thread!
    And I'm sure that your SS weights will looks very cool!
    I hope that you have it instaled on your unit during my next trip.
    C ya in 4 weeks bro.
    Last edited by escafandro; 12th February 2009 at 23:40.

RBW Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

thanks marco, hey brandon sorry about the hijack too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast