+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hazard, Crushed Sodalime Packed In Plastic Bags

RBW Member Cate Jenkins, Ph.D. is an unknown quantity at this point Cate Jenkins, Ph.D.'s Avatar

Hazard, Crushed Sodalime Packed In Plastic Bags

I am concerned over blogs in RebreatherWorld where divers describe packing fresh unused soda lime-type carbon dioxide absorbents in unprotected loose plastic bags in their luggage. Soda lime-type granules can be crushed into fine dust and inhaled. At a minimum, use rigid containers.

Soda lime-type absorbents are highly corrosive. UN standards and treaties state that any substance with a pH of 11.5 and higher is presumed to be corrosive enough to cause permanent tissue damage. A change of one pH unit corresponds to a ten-fold change in the acid or base level.

One manufacturer reported the pH of their soda lime absorbent as having a pH of 14, the same pH of concentrated sodium hydroxide pellets (also known as lye, or concentrated drain cleaner pellets). This is about as high a pH as possible. But another manufacturer of a similar product stated they did not even know the pH of their soda lime-type absorbent on their MSDS.

Accurate tests for pH can be performed using a pH meter such as found in high school chemistry labs. Generally consistent and valid tests for pH also can be made using common paper pH test strips, costing about $8 from internet suppliers. Just moisten the soda lime (1:1 with water), wait a few minutes, and press the pH paper to the surface. You will see a dramatic difference between the pH of fresh unspent vs. spent soda lime and soda lime exposed to the air for long periods.

OSHA states that inhaling corrosive alkaline materials does not necessary result in a physical sensation of burning even when tissue damage is occurring. That means you can’t depend on your lungs or throat to warn you of a harmful exposure.

In my 10/13/08 report to the FBI, I included excerpts from RebreatherWorld blogs describing packing soda lime in plastic bags. My 10/13/08 report primarily concerned the falsification of pH tests for World Trade Centerjenkins.cate@epa.gov if you would like a copy. At this time I am not expanding on any statements I made therein or making any further recommendations.

Cate Jenkins, Ph.D.
    Hazardous Waste Identification Division, OSWER, EPA
    Last edited by Cate Jenkins, Ph.D.; 8th January 2009 at 17:56.

A Prismer in Megland Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear has a spectacular aura about Underwaterbear's Avatar

Re: Hazard, Crushed Sodalime Packed In Plastic Bags

Quote Originally Posted by Cate Jenkins, Ph.D.  View Original Post
    I am concerned over blogs in RebreatherWorld where divers describe packing fresh unused soda lime-type carbon dioxide absorbents in unprotected loose plastic bags in their luggage. Soda lime-type granules can be crushed into fine dust and inhaled. At a minimum, use rigid containers.

...snip....

:p>:p>
    Cate Jenkins, Ph.D.
    Hazardous Waste Identification Division, OSWER, EPA

Since most divers would be careful to avoid filling the can with overly dusty sorb I assume you are mainly concerned for the health of the baggage handlers that go through our luggage looking for things to steal.

Glad to know you are reading this dross for your reports.

rEvo CCR Driver silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba is just really nice silentscuba's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, rEvo

One of the procedures taught in CCR class is to not pack soda lime dust into your scrubber by using various techniques to remove as much dust as possible.

When soda lime is transported in any fashion, it will create dust and transporting it in plastic bags in luggage is no different, the dust just needs to be removed before use. The more dust the less usable soda lime there is which is the consequences of rough handling.

On the fence hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound has a spectacular aura about hound's Avatar
    KISS / Meg

Remember, big brother is always watching.

Dave Tomblin wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc's Avatar
    Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon

CCR Instructor Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Cate Jenkins, Ph.D.  View Original Post
    In my 10/13/08 report to the FBI, I included excerpts from RebreatherWorld blogs describing packing soda lime in plastic bags.
    I am not exactly sure of the relevance of this statement, but my name is Dave Tomblin and I will be traveling to Cancun via US Airways in a weeks time. I plan to carry sofnolime in plastic bags. Feel free to let the FBI know as I am sure they want to keep accurate records of such things.
    Cheers,

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com

Banned jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson's Avatar

benefit of an ExtenAir

Unbanned cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn has a reputation beyond repute cramerdn's Avatar

Welcome to RBW now go away.

Anybody checked the conntact information to see if its AM?

Casual Sport Kiss Pilot RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut is a jewel in the rough RebreatherNut's Avatar
    Sport Kiss

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

She is a major league player, I think she is asking us to find a better way to transport material which has not been classified on the DOT banned list due to its inherent dangers when the particle size becomes small enough to get down to the alveoli and become an irritant.

What I hope is not the case is that she is trying to ban sofnolime, and/or categorize those who knowingly transport this material into someone who 'knowingly maims'. I would really hope that she is not attempting to classify those who transport sorb as one of the brutal dictators that she alludes to in this article from her.

Please read the whole article and see if you get the same ominous feeling I got, and can see some synergy between her above comments and her past work.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NEDIVER; 9th January 2009 at 01:16.

RBW Member sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave has a reputation beyond repute sadave's Avatar
    Sports Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by cramerdn  View Original Post
    Anybody checked the conntact information to see if its AM?
    LOL!

Nice theory, but sorry, post is legit. :p