+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: You can drink to much water!

RBW Member jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9 is just really nice jptaylor9's Avatar

You can drink to much water!

A cautionary note to those that like to drink a gazillion litres of water before tech dives...

A mother died after drinking four litres of water in under two hours, an inquest has heard .... Coroner's Court was told she died from brain swelling.

BBC: Woman died from 'too much water'
    Last edited by jptaylor9; 13th December 2008 at 09:18.

Chett Lehrer Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L has much to be proud of Chett.L's Avatar
    rEvo FT / Hollis P-2/ rEvo lll

Prism Topaz-1 / rEvo ll

Re: You can drink to much water!

I was told that drinking a lot of water before and in between dives is a good measure to stay hydrated. How much water is too much? Inquiring minds want to know.

Best regards,
    Chett. L

RBW Member stfr is an unknown quantity at this point stfr's Avatar

Re: You can drink to much water! -> hypoatremia

Hypoatremia - a disturbance of the salt balance in the blood, caused sometimes by excessively drinking water. Not sure if this applies anywhere close to staying hydrated before and during a dive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

I guess as with many other thing, moderation is the key

We all need water, oxygen, beer and hamburger to survive but in excess it kills us ...

Dalış Bahane Alem Şahane teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali's Avatar

I remember in the news some person drank 14 liters during one day and then he died. Because the balance of his blood went odd...

I can drink about 5-8 liters of water during a day. Having a 1.5 liter water glass helps. Can get 2 down before i need to urinate... I am not suggesting it is healty....

Also some one mentionned that if you drink too much you put your kidneys in to overdrive and can loose some vital minerals etc from your body.

I also remember in the news about 20 years ago that there was a boy living only on water. but that can be bogus...

If you drink too much you may risk of actually dhydrating yourself because your body's reaction overshoots. (or so i was told)

Teoman

Todd Janquart vtach67 is an unknown quantity at this point vtach67's Avatar
    rEvo III hybrid mini, Sentinel

You can definitely drink too much water but you would have to drink a pretty large amount in a short period of time. In other words, you would really have to work at it. I also think that people shooting for "pre dive" hydration are missing the boat. I don't think slugging down 1-2 liters of water before jumping in adequately addresses the hydration issue in decompression diving. You should be hydrated well in advance of a big dive. I prefer to keep an eye on urinary output and "clarity". If you wake up in the morning after 8+ hours of sleep and don't have to urinate, chances are your urinary output is low and you need to get some fluids back in. Same goes for the urine quality. If your urine is relatively clear with a tinge of yellow, then your body is removing excess water. If your urine is dark yellow or almost gold, your body is conserving water and just removing the nasties.

RBW Member RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan has a reputation beyond repute RonMicjan's Avatar
    Meg

CCR Dolphin

I got this email from my dad

ABOUT DRINKING WATER !

The following will probably amaze and startle you!!!

One glass of water shuts down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University study.

Lack of water is the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen.

Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

Are you drinking the amount of water you should every day?

(No kidding, all of the above is true...)

Of course, too much water may have strange side effects.

so drink lots of water....but BE CAREFUL!

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Re: You can drink to much water! -> hypoatremia

Quote Originally Posted by stfr  View Original Post
    We all need water, oxygen, beer and hamburger to survive but in excess it kills us ...
    Hey what's about sex?! It won't kill us if it is too much... and anyway it's never too much!:D:D:D

Sic Semper Tyrannis NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER is a splendid one to behold NEDIVER's Avatar

The danger is depletion of electrolytes.
    Make sure if you are having to drink an excessive amount of water to add in some; salt, gatorade, pediolyte, or if you are really in a pinch, you urine has plenty of salts and you can drink it up to three passes worth before it is toxic

RBW Member single tank numpty is on a distinguished road single tank numpty is on a distinguished road single tank numpty's Avatar
    None

I read about this a few years ago. Anthony Andrews the British actor nearly died due to it.

I regularly drink 4.5 to 6 liters per day, through out the day. I'm still here, so I'm guessing that it has to be much more than this.

I echo the fact that for deco diving it needs to be a little and often, not 2 liters immediately before a dive. I also stop drinking alcohol 12 hours before a big dive

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

if you read about this woman, she drank 4 litres in 2 hours, rather than over a full day as recommended for her diet. so as one of the other posters said, it doesn't have to be an extreme amount it just has to be in a short period of time, for it to be a problem. a little at regular intervals over the day is sufficient for most peoples needs.
    rachel

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast