Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Rebreather Accident Research Project

RBW Member SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ's Avatar

Rebreather Accident Research Project

For some time, I and others, have been developing a plan to look at non-fatal rebreather accidents and incident.

The project is aimed more at looking at the human factors and health issues relating to accidents and is not intended to become 'unit bashing' exercise.

For instance, it would be productive to look at general health/fitness/medication/alcohol of the diver together with equipment preparation/modification/maintenance and diver training/attitude/experience.

The proposal is as follows and I am looking to gauge support and opinion from the wider rebreather community.

The proposal:

1. Gather a 'panel' of non-biased, open minded rebreather divers with expertise in training, dive medicine and statistics.

2. Produce an internet based questionnaire for divers who have had a recent accident or incident to submit data (similar to Dr Harry's DIMS but more rebreather focused).

3. Diver contacted by dive doctor from panel who conducts phone based interview about symptoms on dive and relevant health history (with full medical confidentiality assured).

4. Diver contacted by trainer from panel who conducts phone based interview about dive, equipment preparation etc.

5. Doctor and trainer produce anonymised summary to panel and feedback to diver.

6. Panel produce reports on trends to manufacturers, training organisations and wider rebreather community.

The obvious issues for me are:

1. Expertise, getting the right people (I have expressions of interest from a number of people with appropriate expertise).

2. Trust from divers and manufacturers (sensitive data).

3. Independence from industry yet able to have meaningful dialogue with industry.

4. Non adversarial. The goal is understanding accidents/incidents and learning from them rather than apportioning blame.

About me... I'm no guru but am a rebreather diving UK GP with experience in dive medicine and a willingness to coerce and cajole better brains than mine into helping this project.

Please add your comments (gently :))

Best Wishes

Steve

Dr Steve Johnson
    North Yorkshire
    UK.
    Last edited by SteveJ; 25th November 2008 at 19:47. Reason: Saved too early...

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: Rebreather Accident Research Project

Steve,

This looks like admirable goal. One question I had was the remit for the panel, would it be geographically limited?

I think for the UK you could do a lot worse than contact the BDSG, to see if you can leverage anything they have/sit under their umbrella.

I'd offer to help, but Im afraid Im just another diver :)

/Zak

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

I'm a cardioloigist and CCR instructor (Kiss) in Florida. I'd be happy to help in any way possible. Just let me know what I can do. I think it's a great idea. As always, however, "the devil is in the details".

Doug

RBW Member SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Steve,

This looks like admirable goal. One question I had was the remit for the panel, would it be geographically limited?

I think for the UK you could do a lot worse than contact the BDSG, to see if you can leverage anything they have/sit under their umbrella.

I'd offer to help, but Im afraid Im just another diver :)

/Zak
    Hoping to cover Europe US and Australasia (much like RBW). Have interest from well qualified individuals in these locations.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by debersole  View Original Post
    I'm a cardioloigist and CCR instructor (Kiss) in Florida. I'd be happy to help in any way possible. Just let me know what I can do. I think it's a great idea. As always, however, "the devil is in the details".

Doug
    Hi Doug, thanks for support, PM sent.

Steve

It's Hammertime! Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski is a name known to all Pawel Szopinski's Avatar
    Hammerhead

Megalodon, Inspiration

PM sent.
    Hammerhead CCR Instructor
    Hammerhead Repair Facility
    Golem Gear Dealer
    www.silentthrill.com

RBW Member gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas is a glorious beacon of light gtzavelas's Avatar
    Megalodon

RB80 Clone, CastoroC96, RGU

Are you also planning to include DCS accidents?

Quote Originally Posted by gtzavelas  View Original Post
    Are you also planning to include DCS accidents?
    Yes but for analysis after the event, not to get involved in the initial management/treatment.

Steve

RBW Key Holder
    Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen's Avatar
    KISS CLASSIC

Megalodon, Kiss Sport

I like the idea

Maybe there can be some type of data entry section here that can be filled out and click submitted.

Then the stats recorded can be viewed as a searchable data record?

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Bowen  View Original Post
    I like the idea

Maybe there can be some type of data entry section here that can be filled out and click submitted.

Then the stats recorded can be viewed as a searchable data record?
    Thanks Curt.

I'm hoping to have a data entry form on a standalone website but with links to it from RBW, Decostop, NBD etc.

The data has to be as secure and also trusted to be secure otherwise people will not entrust contact details and medical history etc.

Support from RBW will be crucial. Both to encourage divers to submit accidents but also as a forum for feeding back information into the rebreather community.

Could the mods make this thread sticky?

Steve

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast