+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Corrosion in classic inspiration wiring loom

RBW Member Divejunkie is an unknown quantity at this point Divejunkie's Avatar

Corrosion in classic inspiration wiring loom

Hi

Anyone experienced corrosion of the wiring loom in a 4yr + classic inspiration wiring loom?

I've just sent the head back for a service after buying second hand. The handsets were giving spurious cell errors. Diagnosis is a cracked handset and corroded wiring £350 +

Also, I've just found out the history of the unit from AP and had I known this it may have affected my decision to buy this particular unit.

Its seems that when someone says honest guv I wouldn't sell you a duff unit they not be entirely telling you the truth!

Should they come with a service history?

Team Kinky Juz has a spectacular aura about Juz has a spectacular aura about Juz has a spectacular aura about Juz has a spectacular aura about Juz has a spectacular aura about Juz has a spectacular aura about Juz's Avatar

Re: Corrosion in classic inspiration wiring loom

You can just phone up APD with the serial number and they will tell if and when they have had it back.

Juz

Bubbless Box of Death Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis is a splendid one to behold Genesis's Avatar

Uh, one question....

Is APD using 100% tinned wiring in there? If not, they're not following good marine practice for something that is used AROUND (not even under!) water and should IMHO be flogged.

Shon Roberts Shon Roberts is an unknown quantity at this point Shon Roberts's Avatar

Hi.
    Yes you can get corrosion in the wiring loom. I had the same when I bought mine 2nd hand. Costs about £160 to replace the wiring loom.
    APD recommend that you send the headunit back annualy to be checked and serviced but this does not always happen. My unit was nearly three years old and had never been returned to APD.
    I would recommend anybody buying a second hand unit to get the serial number and phone APD to see if he head unit/electronics have been back for a check up or service and if not to ask the person who is selling their unit to do so before you purchase it as you can find yourself with a large repair bill, to the point where you may have been just as well to buy a brand new unit. Corroded wiring and cracked handsets are not uncommon on second hand units that have never been back to APD.

Shon Roberts.

RBW Member risototh is an unknown quantity at this point risototh's Avatar
    (KT)BOD+AV1c+own computer

YBOD, Ray, rEvo II eCCR

Jesus Christ, i replaced one damaged SMB connector from previous unit holder... The wires are all black! Nightmare! I think that i will have to send it to AP for rewiring... All is working, but the cables have their sunny days already passed... I think, that these cables were not tinted. Why they are using the creepy crimped SMB connectors, where there is no seal, instead of the "assembled" ones, which have some gasket and the solder point on the center point can be also potted to obtain "sealed" transition from connector to cable? Arghhhh...

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Given the number of anecdotal reports of classic handsets that have come back from a service visit to AP cracked or that crack shortly afterwards, plus all the BS that will come from my not having all AP cells in there, I'd be rewiring the thing myself.

RBW Member risototh is an unknown quantity at this point risototh's Avatar
    (KT)BOD+AV1c+own computer

YBOD, Ray, rEvo II eCCR

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Starfish  View Original Post
    Given the number of anecdotal reports of classic handsets that have come back from a service visit to AP cracked or that crack shortly afterwards, plus all the BS that will come from my not having all AP cells in there, I'd be rewiring the thing myself.
    Good to know... I'm electrical engineer, so better take a care about it in-house

RBW Member ddwils is an unknown quantity at this point ddwils's Avatar
    Insp Vision

Inspo classic

Quote Originally Posted by Divejunkie  View Original Post
    Hi

Anyone experienced corrosion of the wiring loom in a 4yr + classic inspiration wiring loom?

I've just sent the head back for a service after buying second hand. The handsets were giving spurious cell errors. Diagnosis is a cracked handset and corroded wiring £350 +

Also, I've just found out the history of the unit from AP and had I known this it may have affected my decision to buy this particular unit.

Its seems that when someone says honest guv I wouldn't sell you a duff unit they not be entirely telling you the truth!

Should they come with a service history?
    this has happened to me before, along with corrosion in the solenoid. Common issues with the classic, especially if you get a cracked handset. Not always detectable until too late.

SBOD Pilot Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish is a glorious beacon of light Captain Starfish's Avatar
    AP Classic SBOD v. AV1c

Quote Originally Posted by risototh  View Original Post
    Good to know... I'm electrical engineer, so better take a care about it in-house
    Same. The biggest factor, of course, is being unable to dive for 3 weeks or more whilst my head takes a holiday.

+ Reply to Thread