+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oxygen cleaning

Oxygen cleaning

Wonder if any of you Uk divers can clarify a rumour. I keep hearing that moves are afoot to lengthen the time for 02 cleaning of cylinders from 12 to 18 months. I have not seen anything in any of the diving comics.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Re: Oxygen cleaning

Already in place as a SITA recommendation. Of course, theres no actual law around this, its just a guideline so different places are treating it how they feel.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Already in place as a SITA recommendation. Of course, theres no actual law around this, its just a guideline so different places are treating it how they feel.
    Local tech shop recommends when hydro is performed. Some I've heard yearly during VIP

I suppose it all comes down to comfort based on how often your tanks are sleeping around w/ other fill stations.... :)

Duvet Diver Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A is a glorious beacon of light Simon A's Avatar

It's definitely in the SITA regs now, although some Test stations have a big pile of 12 month stickers they are using up.
    I've had a couple of cylinders hydro'd in Sept. by Safety Air Services and they came back wit a 15 month O2 clean sticker.

HTH
    Simon A

RBW Member Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe is a glorious beacon of light Joe's Avatar
    Megaladon

I agree. If it is a dedicated O2 tank there is no reason to clean it until or unless it is contaminated ie: hydro.

AFAIK, commercial O2 cylinders are never cleaned or in any way tampered with until they are due for hydro.

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    Local tech shop recommends when hydro is performed. Some I've heard yearly during VIP

I suppose it all comes down to comfort based on how often your tanks are sleeping around w/ other fill stations.... :)

In search of Law breaking Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw is a glorious beacon of light Outlaw's Avatar
    Meggy Meg...

Got the best one from day 1...

i agree with the rest.

especially if you fill you own cylinders at home, and it usually done via your own booster and big Oxygen J cylinder. so, where is the contamination in that?

Spyros

An independent diver. bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso is just really nice bletso's Avatar
    MCCR Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by Joe  View Original Post
    I agree. If it is a dedicated O2 tank there is no reason to clean it until or unless it is contaminated ie: hydro.

AFAIK, commercial O2 cylinders are never cleaned or in any way tampered with until they are due for hydro.
    Even at hydro, they are not cleaned. I (we) test many thousands of cylinders a year. Just keep hydrocarbons away from the system. Oil and grease do not with O2 mix.

Dale

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

all very interesting guys, but he didnt ask you to teach him to suck eggs, he asked about the uk "regulations".

Choose Freedom - UKIP Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby is a jewel in the rough Scubascooby's Avatar

I was in conversation with BSAC about this several years ago and they various bodies where trying to come to a concensus on changing the O2 interval to 2.5 years to match the other regulations.

It sounds like they have come to a compromise.

If the cost of servicing keeps going up it might not be worth getting tanks cleaned, just get new ones. :)

My argument was that a longer interval would make it more cost effective and encourage more to start using nitrox. There are still some who don't use it.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scubascooby  View Original Post
    I was in conversation with BSAC about this several years ago and they various bodies where trying to come to a concensus on changing the O2 interval to 2.5 years to match the other regulations.

It sounds like they have come to a compromise.

If the cost of servicing keeps going up it might not be worth getting tanks cleaned, just get new ones. :)

My argument was that a longer interval would make it more cost effective and encourage more to start using nitrox. There are still some who don't use it.
    Well, we have a lot of scuba industry conspiracy theories here in the states, and some of these so called 'regulations' and 'policies' are simply seen as revenue generators to force people back into the shop...

So, since the topic is O2 cleaning, this begs the question.... Why are we not advocating a better way...? Partial pressure blending is antiquated, dangerous, and time consuming. Membranes and Sticks are more than adequate to deliver sport blends and in the case of a Stick, fairly affordable for just about any shop to implement and have premixed Nitrox available on the spot for recreational blends..... Or would you rather have all your customers spend $60-80 every 1/2/5 years for each cylinder for cleaning...?

Obviously > 40%, old rules still apply...

-Tim

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast