+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Well done Eurotek

RBW Member duc996bp is an unknown quantity at this point duc996bp's Avatar

Well done Eurotek

Well done Eurotek

Just wanted to thank the organizers and everyone who presented at Eurotek.

I was there yesterday, what a great day, relaxing atmosphere, great talks.

John

Cut along dotted line... Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler is just really nice Doppler's Avatar

Re: Well done Eurotek

Quote Originally Posted by duc996bp  View Original Post
    Well done Eurotek

Just wanted to thank the organizers and everyone who presented at Eurotek.

I was there yesterday, what a great day, relaxing atmosphere, great talks.

John

Any specifics about presentations John? What did you listen to, what did you learn... that sort of stuff.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Doppler  View Original Post
    Any specifics about presentations John? What did you listen to, what did you learn... that sort of stuff.

Dr Mitchell taught us how not to use a gas powered spear gun :D

Its was a great event I had a fantastic time and hope they do it again. Simon's talks were the highlight for me. He is a very good speaker and managed to get across some fairly complex issues in a way that was both captivating and understandable even by a thicko like me.

His talk on C02 and the mechanics of how work of breathing an gas density affects your breathing was an eye opener. Especially with the video clips of Dave Shaw's tragic dive backing up the science.

The second talk on avoidance of DCI was equally good and brought to the for some recent research on hydration, thermal effects, exercise and drugs and their effects on diving.

AD Ward was there with his re breather explaining how it all worked and beating the crap out of any one who couldn't get it through his head that the case was a pre production unit (Not really :D)

I had a fascinating chat with Kevin Gurr about his VRX computer. This seems to be a massive departure from the VR3 and will offer for the first time some way of personalizing decompression. At £1200 with full three cell monitoring it could be the new must have dive computer.

Narked at 90 was there with his range of CCR products and Mark Powell was launching his new book on Decompression for Divers which is so well put together it will surely become the bible for deco divers who are wanting to gain a better understanding of the subject. It should come free with every deco procedures course.

And there was loads more. I hadn't expected so many exhibitors. Rob Dobson was there with the latest X scooters which looked perfect for wreck diving. (so small and light) The new C02 monitor was on display and I got to play with APDs BOV for the first time in its production guise.

All in all a wonderful day and I wish i could have gone today as well.

ATB

Mark
    at 1200

RBW Member dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t has much to be proud of dave t's Avatar

couldnt agree morer absolutly excellent day

Dr Simon Mitchel was the highlight of the day for me, talking to him after his co2 presentation gave the suggestion that back mounted counterlungs might not be so good if you plan deep hard working dives. My chat to him was very brief but it seem that some amont of positive lung loading can help if you get some co2 build up. Of course most BMCL' will give some degree of negative lung loading.

But dont take this as gospel I may have misunderstood him

pity I couldnt get there today as well but well done Lee and the rest of your team

Dave

Life starts at 100 rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Classic KISS, Megalodon

Yes, a big thanks is in order!
    It was well worth traveling to the dive show from Sweden!
    I met some old friends and made a bunch of new ones.
    Me and a buddy went to see the speech by Jeff Cornish among others on the Carpathia expedition. (The ship that rescued hundreds of people from Titanic) RMS Carpathia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    The ship later sank during WW1 and now rest on the sea bed of the Atlantic in 158m of water.
    Funniest moment during the weekend?
    This morning Jarrod Jablonski and the GUE team were doing a talk on Gavin scooters and Halcyon CCR!!!! Wow this could be interesting....

Unfortunatly it turned out to be a typo when the talk started and a couple of CCR divers took off in a flash...(I was one of them)

Sorry Jarrod... :o

Big thanks to everyone that made it happen!
    Ill be back in 2010....

Roger Ingebo
    Last edited by rogeringebo; 16th November 2008 at 18:58.

not RBW staff. EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sports kiss, dolphin

Yep, I too thought simon's presentations were the highlight. The WKPP Q tunnel discussion was good/open too. I wont even mention Rick stantons session, people either shuddered or laughed ;)

But lets not forget the highlight, seeing shorty in a penguin suit!

Old news to many Im sure, but seeing the sentinel and poring over it was very interesting. Its an extremely well thought out unit (yes, Im sad enough to be impressed by the water trap/dump), albeit a bit chunky for those of us with a rock obsession.

Rebreather numpty aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord has a spectacular aura about aplord's Avatar
    APD Evo+

As an OC diver looking seriously for the first time at going CCR, this conference was just what I needed:
    • Lots of informative talks, with a number pitched towards "getting started" which suits me (though I think there were many others pitched at those with lots of knowledge looking for more). Neil Plant and Paul Mee did a great job of explaining expidition diving to newbies, and then Kevin Gurr waxed lyrical (and as impartially as he could!) about things one ought to think about when buying a CCR.
    • Some interesting stuff on human factors and the applicability of aviation psychology to diving by Fabio Manganelli - really a small taster of a very big subject. I was particularly interested in what he had to say about "situational awareness" and the signs that one is losing it.
    • Phil Short did a great job of introducing rebreather safety, but then provided ample evidence in his next session that he is a complete nutter with his tales of Russian cave diving. His "second worst diving moment" was inevitably followed in the Q&A by his "worst diving moment" and had hardened teks hiding under their seats. I'm going to ask him nicely if he will train me...
    • Simon Mitchell's "prevention of DCS" talk, which as others have said was interesting, informative and amusing in equal measures.
    • The opportunity to talk to countless instructors about training, CCR selection, life the universe and everything. This was really really useful for me - I learned a big heap of stuff, and got to size up a load of great instructors.
    • Another chance to sniff and stroke all the lovely things on show and sale!
    Hurrah for EuroTek 08!! I hope the organiser folk made sufficient squid out of it to do it all again next year! Thanks you guys! :)

Decodiver

Quote Originally Posted by EBT  View Original Post
    Old news to many Im sure, but seeing the sentinel and poring over it was very interesting. Its an extremely well thought out unit (yes, Im sad enough to be i
    The crossover's free whenever you're ready buddy.

RBW Member Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M is just really nice Steve-M's Avatar

yes ... it was an excellent weekend. Well worth the effort of travelling down to Birmingham, especially in the light of the miserable (and typical!) English weather for this time of year.

Highlights for me were:

Simon Mitchell's first talk on carbon dioxide buildup on very deep diving. The message I took away from this was that you can get into a situation where carbon dioxide is building up faster than you can get rid of it. The increase makes you breathe faster but breathing faster doesn't help. You become locked into a spiral we're breathing faster does not get rid of CO2 ... you just generate more. He showed the footage from Dave Shaw's video camera, but without the annoying voice-over that you get on the YouTube version. From the audio, Simon was interpreting what was happening right up until the end. Very illuminating. A very serious talk with none of the usual lightheartedness that Simon delivered in his other talks ... for obvious reasons in the light of the topic.

Simon Mitchell second talk was on factors relating to decompression ... but not discussing the decompression model which you may be following. We have always thought that being fit will help the diver in avoiding getting bent. A couch potato is more likely to get hit than a gym fanatic. Some interesting research presented on rats. Some rats had six weeks of daily fitness training. A second group had two weeks of training. A third group had no training except one session of exercising, just 20 hours before diving. The final group was the control (the "couch potato" rats!). All four groups of rats were then given a very aggressive dive and decompression. The unfit rats did much worse than the other three groups. There was no difference in the other three groups! Interesting. From this I concluded that if you work out in the gym the day before you go diving then you are much less likely to get bent. Working out daily for six weeks provides no extra benefit. Even more interesting was that another group of rats had six weeks of fitness training but then no training for 48 hours before diving. These rats were almost as bad as the unfit rats. A heavy workout the day before diving ... I think he was talking about 40 minutes of 80% VO2-max provides definite benefits for reduction in bend risk.

The same lecture discussed exercise and temperature during the dive. Heavy exercise at depth makes you more likely to get bent. Exercise during the deco stop makes you less likely to get bent. Being warm at depth makes you more likely to get bent. Being warm on the deco stop makes them less likely to get bent.

Also interesting was the influence of exercise after diving. Any heavy exercise especially heavy lifting in the first two hours after diving is provocative. Especially so after 30 minutes from leaving the water. Simon said that if you're going to lift your heavy kit up the beach (better to ask someone else to do it!) then do it immediately. Don't put it down on the beach and have a rest for 30 minutes and then do it. Better to do it immediately and then have a rest.

He also mentioned drugs. His opinion was that aspirin confers no benefits. The jury was out on Ibuprofen.

This is all an oversimplification of what he said ... I'm sure. However it is the general message I took away from this talk.

The best bit was some very funny slide and jokes about Aussies versus Kiwis... that had the audience in fits of laughter. I couldn't repeat them here for fear of offending the Australians on the List!:)

Simon's other two lectures were on:

[/LIST]Inner ear decompression sickness.
    [/LIST]PFOs

Both lectures equally informative as the first two. I'm sure someone else has got time to give a synopsis.

Some other excellent presentations on exploitative technical diving and diving equipment ... scooters, boosters etc. A superb weekend. Well done to Carl and Leigh and all the others who helped make it happen. Looking forward to Eurotek 2010.:)

ST]

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-M  View Original Post
    yes ... it was an excellent weekend. Well worth the effort of traveling down to Birmingham, especially in the light of the miserable (and typical!) English weather for this time of year.

Highlights for me were:

Simon Mitchell's first talk on carbon dioxide buildup on very deep diving. The message I took away from this was that you can get into a situation where carbon dioxide is building up faster than you can get rid of it. The increase makes you breathe faster but breathing faster doesn't help. You become locked into a spiral we're breathing faster does not get rid of CO2 ... you just generate more. He showed the footage from Dave Shaw's video camera, but without the annoying voice-over that you get on the YouTube version. From the audio, Simon was interpreting what was happening right up until the end. Very illuminating. A very serious talk with none of the usual lightheartedness that Simon delivered in his other talks ... for obvious reasons in the light of the topic.

Simon Mitchell second talk was on factors relating to decompression ... but not discussing the decompression model which you may be following. We have always thought that being fit will help the diver in avoiding getting bent. A couch potato is more likely to get hit than a gym fanatic. Some interesting research presented on rats. Some rats had six weeks of daily fitness training. A second group had two weeks of training. A third group had no training except one session of exercising, just 20 hours before diving. The final group was the control (the "couch potato" rats!). All four groups of rats were then given a very aggressive dive and decompression. The unfit rats did much worse than the other three groups. There was no difference in the other three groups! Interesting. From this I concluded that if you work out in the gym the day before you go diving then you are much less likely to get bent. Working out daily for six weeks provides no extra benefit. Even more interesting was that another group of rats had six weeks of fitness training but then no training for 48 hours before diving. These rats were almost as bad as the unfit rats. A heavy workout the day before diving ... I think he was talking about 40 minutes of 80% VO2-max provides definite benefits for reduction in bend risk.

The same lecture discussed exercise and temperature during the dive. Heavy exercise at depth makes you more likely to get bent. Exercise during the deco stop makes you less likely to get bent. Being warm at depth makes you more likely to get bent. Being warm on the deco stop makes them less likely to get bent.

Also interesting was the influence of exercise after diving. Any heavy exercise especially heavy lifting in the first two hours after diving is provocative. Especially so after 30 minutes from leaving the water. Simon said that if you're going to lift your heavy kit up the beach (better to ask someone else to do it!) then do it immediately. Don't put it down on the beach and have a rest for 30 minutes and then do it. Better to do it immediately and then have a rest.

He also mentioned drugs. His opinion was that aspirin confers no benefits. The jury was out on Ibuprofen.
    This is all an oversimplification of what he said ... I'm sure. However it is the general message I took away from this talk.

The best bit was some very funny slide and jokes about Aussies versus Kiwis... that had the audience in fits of laughter. I couldn't repeat them here for fear of offending the Australians on the List!:)

Simon's other two lectures were on:

[/LIST]Inner ear decompression sickness.
    [/LIST]PFOs

Both lectures equally informative as the first two. I'm sure someone else has got time to give a synopsis.

Some other excellent presentations on exploitative technical diving and diving equipment ... scooters, boosters etc. A superb weekend. Well done to Carl and Leigh and all the others who helped make it happen. Looking forward to Eurotek 2010.:)

ST]

I believe it was said that the benefits of Aspirin had to be seen in balance with the fact it encouraged bleeds from the spinal column. It was not known if these bleeds were harmful or not but in the absence of more detailed research it can not be recommended.

Ibuprofen only had 25% of the benefit offered by Aspirin but it had didn't suffer the side effects of Aspirin and so this represented a reduced risk.

Read this for some useful background information on why anti inflammatorys were considered useful:

articles.rethinking1

ATB

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Chase; 16th November 2008 at 22:17.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast