+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bug factories

New Member Pressure Seeker is an unknown quantity at this point Pressure Seeker's Avatar

Bug factories

Hello all,

Posting this here as I dive a CK but I guess its relevant to any RB.. a day or so after my last dive I was struck down with a pestilence or really bad man-flu to be precise. And it got me wondering… as we dive with what’s basically a cosy warm bacteria factory and as I must have had the virus before diving. I got to wondering if a virus such as the good olde common cold could survive in a rebreather..and if so for how long and do the usual disinfectants kill it..?

Dept. of Redundancy Dept. Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E has a spectacular aura about Celia_E's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on 'til morning...
    Megalodon

Re: Bug factories

Hibiclens (tradename) or Chlorhexidine gluconate is one of the common disinfectants for the loop, it lists Avian flu as one of the bugs it is effective against, avian flu is a bird mutated virus. I am guessing that if it is effective against that virus it is likely effective against the common cold virus as well.

Virkon is also effective against viruses (see the link for the brochure) and it is available for the disinfection of your loop as well.

http://www.alliedmedical.com/docs/Virkonbrochure.pdf

Virkon has been rebranded by DuPont as Rely-On but it is the same product if you do a search.

Hope this is helpful.

Dive safe,

Celia
    Last edited by Celia_E; 25th August 2008 at 23:26.

+ Reply to Thread