+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Class report: CCR Cave with Jill Heinerth

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Class report: CCR Cave with Jill Heinerth

So Dsix and I somehow managed to successfully pass our CCR cave class with Jill Heinerth.

We did 14 dives over 7 days, running from cavern up through full cave, hitting a total of 4 different sites.

Jill is a very thorough and competent instructor, and I would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone. One of the things I liked about her from the beginning, is that she is very down to earth, and brings so much real-world experience to the table. Her lunchtime stories are always funny, informative, and hammer home a point.

Her teaching style is relaxed. She offers advice on your rig, and you can either listen to her or not. In the end, as she says “ the cave will let you know,” and it does. Instead of making you feel stupid, like some instructors, she uses the tactic like your mom would – she doesn’t seem to get mad, just disappointed. Don and I recognized most of our mistakes immediately, and were harder on ourselves than she could be. Many lessons were learned.

Taking a full cave class over a 7 day period is tiring, and if I had to do it over again, I would probably break it down into two parts. We are beat up, tired, and need a break, but overall it was a great experience.
    Last edited by Tienuts; 5th July 2008 at 22:16.

jeff addis swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver has a brilliant future swadiver's Avatar
    Revo

Optima

Re: Class report: CCR Cave with Jill Heinerth

congrats you guys ! the cave envirorment will never be the same again

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Come on Tony, you got to do better than this. Tell us more !

What was the progression, how did the days divide up. What were the dives ? Dill Jill use her O2ptima ? How is cave diving different than ocean diving when it comes to your rig ? What did you change ? What did you have difficulties with ?

Erik

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Come on Tony, you got to do better than this. Tell us more !

What was the progression, how did the days divide up. What were the dives ? Dill Jill use her O2ptima ? How is cave diving different than ocean diving when it comes to your rig ? What did you change ? What did you have difficulties with ?

Erik
    Jill was using her Meg (don't tell mempilot or netmage). We had an OC diver (James) with us for the first 3 days. Our setups did not change very much, Jill trys to let us figure it out for ourselves (with a little help and advice along the way). Her motto is "the cave will tell you". It really does too. I was able to remove 6lb of weight with no other changes. I still need some work on my frog kicking and bouyancy/trim.

Here is what I was able to get recorded:

CAVE CLASS DIVE LOG

Friday June 27, 2008
    Day 1
    Ginnie Springs
    Dive 1
    Ballroom
    Dive 2
    Ballroom
    Lost line drills.
    Saturday June 28, 2008
    Day 2
    Peacock
    1 2 and 3 are all at different locations(stairs)
    Dive 1
    Peacock 1
    Dive 2
    Peacock 2
    Sunday June 29, 2008
    Day 3
    Madison Blue
    Wooden platforms at 20' for deco.
    Dive 1
    Dive 2
    Monday June 30, 2008
    Day 4
    Ginnie Springs
    long swim through a "path" to get to the opening of Devils Ear with a big log in opening at 20' for deco.
    Dive 1
    Devils Eye
    Dive 2
    Devils Ear
    This dive was just to set the reel for the next dive and to experience to outflow and control our ascents for deco.
    Dive 3
    Devil Ear
    Tuesday July 1, 2008
    Day 5
    Little River
    Small parking lot without any shelters or picnic tables. Suiting up is a pain in the ass. Jiffy johns only, no bathrooms. Long staircase to traverse.
    Dive 1
    Jill lead the way. Tony was second and ran the line. We ran a primary line to the main line and then followed until the first set of double arrows and then did a jump to the left. We followed this line til the first set of double arrows and did a jump to the right. We followed this line (same as the first primary line) an little further when Jill turned the dive. I did not see Jill turn the dive, I thought Tony turned it.
    We turned and began the return. We did the entire exit on backup lights (I need to reconfigure my backup lights, it was a bitch to get one out) I stopped after each jump and waited for Tony to gather up the reels. At on point, I had to plaster myself to the ceiling to avoid the flow. We also did a tank swap during the exit (not pretty, but it was done).
    We were suppposed to do a line cut/repair drill at the turn point, but we forgot and just exited.
    Just before the primary tieoff, Tony signaled me, Jill was missing. We turned to go find her. She was not very far behind and We found her quickly. We both assumed that she was just watching us fumble along, but it turns out that we just left her at the turn point. We felt like idiots for leaving a team member in the cave.
    Dive 2
    I lead the way. Tony was #2 and Jill was #3. I ran the primary line to the main line and we followed that the entire dive. At the "T" we went right. Tony stopped to catch his breath. Later, I stopped to catch my breath, at this point the dive was turned. On the way out, we did a line cut/repair drill. After the drill our exit order was changed, Tony led the way, I was #2 and Jill was #3. I looked back many times and made visual references to her lights during the entire exit. After untieing from the main line and starting up to do our deco, I signaled Jill to go in front of me as I reeled in.
    Wednesday July 2, 2008
    Day 6
    Peacock 2
    This is the furthest back one. The entrance is directly under the steps and is deep enough for a giant stride from the steps.
    Dive 1
    Peacock 2
    This dive was to set up for our first circuit. We did not run a primary, but used the existing temporary one. Tony led the group, I was second and Jill was last. I felt like I was working way too hard, right from the beginning, in an attempt to keep up with Tony. We followed the main line to the right side. I had to stop and catch my breath on the main line. We did a jump to the tunnel on the left at about 1000'. We traveled about 200' to the end of the line and jumped to the other main line. We turned the dive and began the exit. I stopped to catch my breath, but was not having any luck. I was ready to BO to OC when Jill gave me the "out of air" sign. Not a problem, I wanted OC anyway. I was not catching my breath and was really hating the feeling of doom and dispair that was creeping up on me. I grabbed a rock and halted for awhile. I had all kinds of unpleasant thoughts running through my head. In all reality, I have never been so scared underwater in my life. The one thing that (in my mind) kept me from lossing it was the conscience effort that I was putting forward to breathe long deep breaths and relax. I knew that I had to get my breathing under more control. I let go of the rock and continued to exit, but my breathing was still not completely normal. I was exiting slow and careful so as to breathe as easy as possible. When I sucked my BO tank dry and switched to my second tank, I picked up the pace greatly, because I was now concerned with having enough gas to make the exit. Turns out that I still had plenty. I went back on the loop at the safety stop.
    Dive 2
    Peacock 2
    This dive was to complete the circuit. I was a little nervous about diving after my last experience, but needed to "get back on the horse". I geared up very slowly and really did an overkill of tests in the water while prebreathing at the surface. When I was finally relaxed enough, the dive was on. I led, Tony was second and Jill followed. We took the mainline to the left this time. In the beginning I was still "face planted" but later in the dive was hovering above the line. This works much better. I set the pace much slower and at the 1000' or so I found the reel that Tony had left earlier in the day. I followed the jump and Tony collected the reel. Same at the next jump. On our way out Jill had Tony do a mask off drill. I offered assistance by guiding him along the route.
    Thursday July 3, 2008
    Day 7
    Ginnie Springs
    Dive 1
    Devils Ear
    I noticed that my dump valve string was missing on the swim to the ear and we returned so that I could make repairs. The plan was to BO, switch regs and swap tanks with buddy. I lead and ran the primary line to the main line. Tony was #2 and Jill was #3. I started out low and tried to go high to get out of the current. I went to OC and took the planned 10 breaths, then switched to my 2nd tank for 10 more breaths. I was already working too hard and getting out of breathe again. I grabbed the wall and signaled "hold". I went back on the loop here. Jill was writing on her wetnotes when I saw Tony "thumb" and saw 2 regs in his hand. Jill showed me the notes and I signaled NO with a shake of my head and signaled "thumb" and pointed to Tony. I began to go toward Tony and motioned for Jill to follow me (there was NO way that I was going to leave my instructor in the cave again). During the exit I made sure that Jill was following. I left the line for the next dive. We did a very short stop and ascended. Tony went to repair his regs
    Dive 2
    Devils Ear
    We had a similar plan, but this time it would be done on the way out instead during entry. At the entrance we met a solo diver who signaled me with a signal that I didn't understand (flat palm pointing away from him). We went past the lips when Jill thumbed and we began the exit. Just when the cave opened (lips) we began the drills. We deployed a regulator, stowed the reg, and then swapped tanks. It was not very pretty, but we got it done. My big concern was to stay off the floor (i did it too). We got to the reel and I waited till jill was on the exit side to reel up. We stopped at the log and Tony played batman again.
    Last edited by Dsix36; 5th July 2008 at 03:06.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

RBW Member Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro has a spectacular aura about Padipro's Avatar
    None

Megalodon

Ok Guys, I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing sometime in October, if Jill's available so what I'd like to know is this. How would you brake the class up into 2 sections? Would you brake it in half with cavern and into in the first half, then apprentice and full in second half or some other way? Were there any costs that you forgot to figure into the total that I should think about? Any other equipment that is say not required but you found out is nice to have? And of course anything else you can think of that you would like to share.

I have a few months to put this thing together and would like to start working on it.

Thanks guys and hopefully I'll be joing you in cave counrty soon.

Monkey Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts has a reputation beyond repute Tienuts's Avatar
    KISS

Optima, Megalodon, KISS, rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Padipro  View Original Post
    Ok Guys, I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing sometime in October, if Jill's available so what I'd like to know is this. How would you brake the class up into 2 sections? Would you brake it in half with cavern and into in the first half, then apprentice and full in second half or some other way? Were there any costs that you forgot to figure into the total that I should think about? Any other equipment that is say not required but you found out is nice to have? And of course anything else you can think of that you would like to share.

I have a few months to put this thing together and would like to start working on it.

Thanks guys and hopefully I'll be joing you in cave counrty soon.
    I liked the idea initially of getting the whole class done in one shot. If I had to do it over again, I would probably schedule a day off in the middle of class, just to veg out and do nothing.

As far as class costs, we were pretty much right on, and spent almost exactly what we figured. We brought with us, 2 sets of Dil and O2 bottles each. We almost made the entire week without a fill - using the X5-30 bottles. For bailout, we each brought 2 AL-40's, which we needed to top up several times, but I think our gas bill for the week came to around $30 pp. Ginnie Springs and Cave Excursions were nice enough to let us rack up tabs, which made things easier.

We also brought all our absorbent, (way too much as it turns out) and any spare part we could think of. I think the only thing we purchased up there was a set of 1 lb trim weights for Don. The only failures we had was a dead handset battery, 2 bum o2 sensors, a bad o-ring on a 2nd stage, and somehow Don lost the string on his rear pull-dump.

Park entrance fees were around $100 for the week, per person. As far as fuel, we the total trip was around 900 miles, which included the drive up and back, and driving to all the sites. We took my VW to save on fuel costs over Don's truck.

The motel was the High Springs Country Inn, which was nice, and included a small fridge, and microwave. We only ate out for lunch, and one night we were there. The only real unexpected expense we had was at the laundrymat - we had to wash our drysuit undergarments out a few times.
    Last edited by Tienuts; 5th July 2008 at 21:28.

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by Tienuts  View Original Post
    I liked the idea initially of getting the whole class done in one shot. If I had to do it over again, I would probably schedule a day off in the middle of class, just to veg out and do nothing.

As far as class costs, we were pretty much right on, and spent almost exactly what we figured. We brought with us, 2 sets of Dil and O2 bottles each. We almost made the entire week without a fill - using the X5-30 bottles. For bailout, we each brought 2 AL-40's, which we needed to top up several times, but I think our gas bill for the week came to around $30 pp. Ginnie Springs and Cave Excursions were nice enough to let us rack up tabs, which made things easier.

We also brought all our absorbent, (way too much as it turns out) and any spare part we could think of. I think the only thing we purchased up there was a set of 1 lb trim weights for Don. The only failures we had was a dead handset battery, 2 bum o2 sensors, a bad o-ring on a 2nd stage, and somehow Don lost the string on his rear pull-dump.

Park entrance fees were around $100 for the week, per person. As far as fuel, we the total trip was around 900 miles, which included the drive up and back, and driving to all the sites. We took my VW to save on fuel costs over Don's truck.

The motel was the High Springs Country Inn, which was nice, and included a small fridge, and microwave. We only ate out for lunch, and one night we were there. The only real unexpected expense we had was at the laundrymat - we had to wash our drysuit undergarments out a few times.
    Tony, since you're adding up the total cost for the trip, what dollar amount did you assign to the cost of pain and and suffering attributed to sore muscles and raw fingertips, after frog-kicking and pulling your way through the flow for a week staight?

RBW Member jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk has a reputation beyond repute jkaterenchuk's Avatar
    HammerMeg

Kiss Classic, Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by sfldiver  View Original Post
    Tony, since you're adding up the total cost for the trip, what dollar amount did you assign to the cost of pain and and suffering attributed to sore muscles and raw fingertips, after frog-kicking and pulling your way through the flow for a week staight?

***PRICELESS***

RBW Member c5vette13 is on a distinguished road c5vette13 is on a distinguished road c5vette13's Avatar

Congratulations on the class. Shoot me a pm next time your up if want a buddy.

Nick

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Congrats guys!

Don,

Great write up.

Tony,

You can put arrows on stuff for me anytime. :D

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast