+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Sea Sickness

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Sea Sickness

Hi guys,

wondered if any one had any suggestions with regards to sea sickness medicines that 1 - work and 2 don't increase risk of O2 hits or DCI...not that there will have been any research done with any where near enough a large sample to say definitively...

Stuart

Custom Title Allowed! Jamie B is on a distinguished road Jamie B is on a distinguished road Jamie B's Avatar

Re: Sea Sickness

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Hi guys,

wondered if any one had any suggestions with regards to sea sickness medicines that 1 - work and 2 don't increase risk of O2 hits or DCI...not that there will have been any research done with any where near enough a large sample to say definitively...

Stuart
    I can only speak from personal experience.

I have found that having enough sleep (ie no 3am starts! helps enormously), as does a FULL stomach. That normally means a greasy fry up.

If its looking grumpy I then used to take Kwells, but they are just about impossible to get these days (as an aside, if anyone knows where you can still get them, PM me!). Nowadays I use stugeron. I do not find they make me drowsy though some do.

On the boat I carry a pack of extra strong mints. I pop one of these if I start to feel a bit queasy, and it usually sets me right again.

HTH

Jamie

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

Quote Originally Posted by schford
    Hi guys,

Stuart
    In my days of yachtmaster apprentice, the old skipper began always to drink a glas wine at around 9 am saying that if you're drunk you don't care about sea conditions, you're already dancing!:D
    Ehm...but it doesn't match too much for diving.

Seriously I never had that problem but I read somewhere something recently about it:usually there's not problems but I don't remember the details. I'll try to search for the discussion then I'll post them.

Nad

ZeroEmissions Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad is a glorious beacon of light Nad's Avatar
    Sentinel/Boris/Evo/Liberty

HomeBuild, AP Classic, Path

It is not what I was speaking about but on the jhaaja's thread "O2 convultion" there is something.

Nad

i am very prone to seasickness and have tried every tabon the market bands ginger and everything i have to say that they all only work up to a point when it gets rough the only thing that you can do to avoid it completly is stay off the boat,

even if i havent had tablets sea sickness makes me drowsy and if i have tablets and still feel ill i just sit the dive out these things are too unpredicatble for me

i even feel sick on deco when theres a large lazy swell and feeling too warm or cold makes matters worse, in short i find everyone has there own thing that works yuo just need to keep trying stuff and eventually you will find what works although when i was diving every weekend i found the effectiveness wore off rapidly so it was best to alternate brands and types of meds if you use them often

Such is my point of view 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned is just really nice 2stoned's Avatar

Instead of using drugs,
    You could try some of the alternatives:

http://www.reliefband.com
    Looks like a watch, works by sending small electric jolts ( feels like a gentle tickle) to your brain.
    Works by stopping the vomiting reflex.
    Only wear on boat, not watertight.
    Supposed to be very effective. Works nearly instantly, also if you already feel sick.

http://www.sea-band.com/
    Elastic band
    Operates by applying pressure on the Nei Kuan acupressure point on each wrist by means of a plastic stud.

Drink ginger ale.
    Ginger has been known for centuries to help versus motion sickness.

Magnets?
    Do not believe in them.

He He :D

Just found a site that concurs,
    Promotes all three of my proposed solutions.
    http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csaseasick.htm

Hope that you may find relieve and comfort.
    Last edited by 2stoned; 4th November 2005 at 12:12.

CK #146 and Shearwater prharris is on a distinguished road prharris is on a distinguished road prharris's Avatar

Nelson's Travella, from Boots is homeopathic.
    Works for me, I put the lack of side effects down to the fact that the active ingredient is extremely diluted.

This does not bear scrutiny, so I try not to think about it, but I've not been sick whenever I've taken it :)

Custom Title Allowed! HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM is just really nice HelenM's Avatar

My preferred candidate for the position of "first up against the wall when the revolution comes" is the man who once told me that sea sickness was all in the mind.

I agree that having had enough sleep can help, but a fry up is guaranteed to finish me off if there is a swell. And for the avoidance of doubt, there are few things worse than the taste of "pre-loved" bacon off the back of a boat... I find it helps to eat a very very small amount things which taste similar in both directions, such as chocolate. I'm sorry, is this too much information? :D

Ginger helps me more than anything. I have dabbled with stugeron, but find that sometimes it makes me intensely tired. But then again, so does sea sickness itself...

I have to say I also thoroughly dislike it if I have been feeling desperately seasick on the boat and then jump in (which is normally a relief) to find either strong surge or swaying kelp. I've not been sick underwater yet, but am reasonably sure it's only a matter of time. I did a dive last month with a bailout reg perpetually clutched in my hot little hand having had a very very rough ride out. As it turned out I was OK underwater, but as soon as I was back on the boat I felt like I'd descended to the rather hot bit of hell reserved for Very Naughty Girls.

If it's really rough there is nothing, but nothing, but nothing that is going to stop me being sick. If anyone has a miracle cure I'd dearly love to know about it.

RBW Member The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist has a spectacular aura about The Purist's Avatar

I've been using Stugeron for a couple of years with good results so far (fingers crossed) - take 2 just before I crash out the night before the dive then another one in the morning, so the potential for drowsiness works in my favour.

Years ago I did a 14 day liveaboard trip to the Galapagos and took something called 'Phenergan' (promethazine hydroxide) - it's an antihistamine with some sedative effects but i took one each night and felt no extra drowsiness during the day. It seemed to take a day or 2 to become fully effective too but then I was bulletproof Apparently it suppresses the vomiting reflex..

Google found this and this. No idea of O2 impact of this though.

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

My worst experience was in a force 6 on a cat, sitting fully kitted waiting to get in with 2 stages clipped on and pre breathing....with the boat going up and down and side to side...

I had to spit out my DSV and puked over my legs and fins, screw this I thought pushed to the front of the aue and jumped in.

Was great on the bottom and fortunatly did not go into deco as it was such crap weather we got blown out from the dep dive and ended up doing a 25ish m wreck that was pants.

Well on the 6m stop up and down up and down thought I was going to puke so blew off the safety stop got onto the boat and puked again.

Spent the entire journey back laying down on the deck.

Stuart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast