+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diving the Chester Poling on my rebreather

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Diving the Chester Poling on my rebreather

In our quest to put more hours on our rebreathers, my dive buddy and I dove the stern of the Chester Poling yesterday, a classic new england dive. It was my first good pair of dives on the wreck. The first one was spent trying to figure out my respiratory rate on doubles trying to 'move the boat' (Deco class) and the second attempt was aborted because of electronics failure on my rebreather.

Yesterday everything was great, viz was over 35 feet, the water was at 45F, current was moderate and the weather was gorgeous. Dave & Heather's boat, the Gauntlet is a great vessel to dive from and a great crew.

Here is a yet unedited movie of the dive:

It was by no means a challenging wreck dive but a good solid dive for us to get better on our rebreathers. The dive parameters were:
    1) 96ft, 49mins, 44.6deg F
    2) 96ft, 46mins, 46.0def F

I dove it at a PPO2 of 1.2 which never really brought us into deco. However my VR3 shit the bed again, figuring out I had a missed stop between putting a new battery in it in the morning and driving to the boat. Thus it never gave me any deco information. Awesome.

I was thinking of my dad throughout, he's the reason I started diving since he had shot so many underwater documentaries in the 60s. He turned 90 yesterday and he's coming to visit me this week !

Last edited by edasque; 10th June 2008 at 17:24. Reason: spelling

Richie Burr diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb has much to be proud of diverreb's Avatar
    O2ptima FX

Re: Diving the Chester Poling on my rebreather

Looked like a nice dive.... So where are all the Lobsters? :)

Who did you Dad work with back then? Some of the early U/W documentaries were the best ones produced.... They seemed to have more heart & soul to them and inspired more awe & wonder than today's Hi Tech productions.

Richie

Supporting Member edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque is a splendid one to behold edasque's Avatar
    rEvo III mini

Unfortunately we didn't see any lobsters on the wreck. We saw a couple flounders and a lot of the small redish fish (perch ?).

Other divers saw a wolf eel but they knew where to look. I am very jealous as a wolf eel is on my list of things to see, with a Mola.

I did see a gigantic lumpfish last week though.

My dad directed a series called "Le Monde Sous Le Masque" back in the 60s. It's 'out of print' but I think we have some of the films :)

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Too bad Adrian wasn't there to capture the moment. :D

Banned jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson is a jewel in the rough jiseson's Avatar

I dove the wreck back in Feb! water 36 deg!!!! boy were my fingers in pain! must be a bathtub now! lol nice shots. Gauntlet is a great boat-they always get out!

rEvo III mini

Heh Howard. Adrian in 40F green water ? He would think his camera is broken.

RBW Member rickm is on a distinguished road rickm is on a distinguished road rickm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diverreb  View Original Post
    Looked like a nice dive.... So where are all the Lobsters? :)

Richie
    Richie,

We keep the lobster locations a secret, just like Ted does.

Hope all is well with you. I'll be diving with Ted next week.

Rick
    Attached Images

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by ScubaDadMiami  View Original Post
    Too bad Adrian wasn't there to capture the moment.:D
    It's good to know you guys appreciate and look forward to the pictures I post of our trips!

And Howard, Erik posted video, which is far superior than pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing Erik's video, once I get home, because my company blocked it!

Quote Originally Posted by edasque  View Original Post
    Heh Howard. Adrian in 40F green water ? He would think his camera is broken.
    You got that right Erik - Me and real cold water do not mix!! However, the guys have been convincing me to go dry this winter, so you never know!!:o

Underwater Paparazzi sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver has much to be proud of sfldiver's Avatar
    Dive Rite Optima

Quote Originally Posted by rickm  View Original Post
    Richie,

We keep the lobster locations a secret, just like Ted does.

Hope all is well with you. I'll be diving with Ted next week.

Rick
    Careful Rick, Richie has a reputation for being a lobster junkie and is capable of anything in his quest to get his fix!

And BTW, very nice bugs you got there!!!!!:D If only Florida would allow us rb divers to harvest bugs! Damn!!

Adrian

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Nice video Eric. With the exception of the water temp, made me wish that I was there.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast