+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: InnerSpace 2008

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

InnerSpace 2008

I spent a week on grand Cayman diving with divetech and staying at cobalt coast resort. Though folks might like to hear about it.

i had a really great time, the whole idea is to get you and your rb in one spot and keep you there. The beach, boats, diveshop,pool,restruant and rooms are all in about a 50 meter radius. literally its like a liveaboard boat on land. they have a full service dive shop, basically what ever you asked for they just said 'no worries'. I probably should have made some obscene requests just to see what would have happened.

There was a mix of rb divers, some mod1 guys like myself and two bunches of trimix divers, normoxic and scary deep guys. There were a few classes going as well, some new rb guys, a sentinel class and an expeditition trimix class run by Tom Mount himself.

The diving was really good, almost every morning i dove the house reef at around nine am (which had a deep wall if you wanted it, probably could have shore dove there all week and been happy) then a 1pm boat wall dive with usually a 2.5 hr run time. get back clean up dinner at six then a presentation or two from seven to nine.

We saw spotted eagle rays on almost every dive, lots of fish and turtles. Vis was about 150 ft on average,except for one dive with some nasty upwellings and lots of sand being blown around.

Overall it wasnt too expensive, would have been cheaper if i was diving mix tho i think. The only down points for me was it was tough to get in a night dive because the afternoon boat made fills tricky, i got a cold at the end of the week and i had to leave.
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Never E nuff Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo is a jewel in the rough Mike Costanzo's Avatar
    KISS Classic

Re: InnerSpace 2008

Marv, good report. Sounds like you got some good dives in and added to your experience on your rebreather. Hope the food and the cold beverages were as good.

Closed Account Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg will become famous soon enough Art Greenberg's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Quote Originally Posted by kybrt  View Original Post
    The only down points for me was it was tough to get in a night dive because the afternoon boat made fills tricky, i got a cold at the end of the week and i had to leave.
    Yeah, having to leave was the real downer for Tina and me when we were there last month for our class. Within a few days of getting home we were in drysuits in the "lake", 45F and 30 feet viz at best. Not quite the same ...

Did you take sorb with?

--
    Art

Supporting Member Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli is a glorious beacon of light Al Marvelli's Avatar
    rEvoMicro w.hybrid&dsix stand

rEvoII fullsize

Art,

Innerspace was one price inclusive, food gas sorb boat tshirt. They had a bunch of kegs there and you just took what you needed. i did rent onboard bottles, offboard/bailout was in the deal. it was still cheap, $$40 bucks for 3l inspo bottles for the week.

I was diving with a KISS guy named bruce levinson most of the week, he dives out of scuba connection, maybe you know him.
    Marv

fidelis Ad Mortem

Silent Lucidity mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver is just really nice mountain diver's Avatar
    Megalodon

Nice report, thanks for sharing.
    I will have to make time to get down there.

all the best.

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Marv,

Thanks for the report. I wish I could have gone. I'm going to try for next year. Too many projects in the fires this year. Just for curiosity sake, how deep is the ledge off of the house reef? Do they have scooters available?

Thanks,

Eric

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

What was the 'planned activity' for the morning...?

All that for 5 x 2.5 hour single drop boat ride seems quite a bit of $$$... not exactly what I consider dive yer ass off.....

I mean, if you went off and did a long shore dive in the morning, how set were you for the afternoon? Did you need fills, would they have been able to turn them around within reason...?

-Tim

LEARNING CONTINUALLY rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver is a jewel in the rough rigdiver's Avatar
    Inspo Vision

Classic YBOD

Quote Originally Posted by netmage  View Original Post
    What was the 'planned activity' for the morning...?

All that for 5 x 2.5 hour single drop boat ride seems quite a bit of $$$... not exactly what I consider dive yer ass off.....

I mean, if you went off and did a long shore dive in the morning, how set were you for the afternoon? Did you need fills, would they have been able to turn them around within reason...?

-Tim
    Just back late last night. It was 6 days of boat diving for the deep/hypoxic mix divers leaving in the morning. The normoxic/air dil folks had a boat in the afternoon. All on-board gas as well as sorb and stages were included. You had to rent on-board cylinders or bring your own like I did. You could go off the beach as much as you wanted as long as you had a buddy. Run times on the boat were 2 1/2 hourish. It was my 3rd Innerspace and the best one in my opinion.
    The guys at the shop filling gas were on top of things and could get you whatever you were certified for in a reasonable time. Nancy and Jay and the crew @ Divetech run a great operation. We wanted for nothing. Arie that owns Cobalt Coast is very much a hands on proprietor. Always smiling and busy. He likes to ask guests questions about what is right, what's not and what can make it better.
    The lectures after dinner were all by experienced leaders in the industry. IMO it is well worth the money.
    Got to meet and dive with a bunch of really neat, experienced like-minded people.
    The food. Well, I dove my behind off and gained 6 lbs in the week.
    Bill

Sebastian Chander Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg is a jewel in the rough Deep Smeg's Avatar
    Deep Smeg

Megalodon

Quote Originally Posted by mempilot  View Original Post
    Marv,

Thanks for the report. I wish I could have gone. I'm going to try for next year. Too many projects in the fires this year. Just for curiosity sake, how deep is the ledge off of the house reef? Do they have scooters available?

Thanks,

Eric
    Hey Eric

The house reef at Cobalt Coast is divided into two walls with a sand patch between them. The Miniiwall has fingers stretching down to 70' in the sand. The main wall starts at between 60'-70' and falls at a 60 or so degree incline 20 about 160' whereabouts it becomes vertical down to at least a kilometer.

Apollo AV-1's and 2's are available, but to be honest if you can make the 10min gentle surface swim out and drop in on the wall, you can swim back along the mini wall and be looking at reef and fish right up to your 15' stop.

Couldn't make it back this year, will try hard for 2009.

Cheers

Seb

RBW Member mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot has a reputation beyond repute mempilot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pelagian  View Original Post
    Hey Eric

The house reef at Cobalt Coast is divided into two walls with a sand patch between them. The Miniiwall has fingers stretching down to 70' in the sand. The main wall starts at between 60'-70' and falls at a 60 or so degree incline 20 about 160' whereabouts it becomes vertical down to at least a kilometer.

Apollo AV-1's and 2's are available, but to be honest if you can make the 10min gentle surface swim out and drop in on the wall, you can swim back along the mini wall and be looking at reef and fish right up to your 15' stop.

Couldn't make it back this year, will try hard for 2009.

Cheers

Seb
    Seb,

Thanks for the info. I've done Cayman in the past, but only rec OC. I don't suppose they will sell you mix with an OC Full Trimix card? I'm finding the need to sit through yet a 5th mix class at $1500.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast