+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: rb,wreck,stages,deco

New Member s75952004 is an unknown quantity at this point s75952004's Avatar

rb,wreck,stages,deco

hi all
    I got a few ? about a dive in the future, my flame suit is on .
    the wreck I want to dive with a rb is "saskatchewan" which sits in 120' fsw .
    on a rb ,I would drop down on the stern of the ship deck sits at 90' ,drop over the side and enter the ship (which is set up as diver friendly)swim the entire lenght of the ship spending about 30-40mins.then from the bow back to the stern again spending 20-30 mins.
    what would the deco be for this dive asuming you can dive this profile.
    as a rb diver what stages would a diver carry for bail out .
    since I am not good with metric ,please use cubic feet .
    thanks for any help

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

Re: rb,wreck,stages,deco

I don't mean to be pessimistic, but if your asking such questions you are not ready to do this dive. To vaguely answer I do similar dives to those depths in BC on a weekly basis, its a very plausible dive. Again I don't wish to harp on anybody's diving activities as I am guilty of being a bit reckless in past dives, but in this province last year there has already been six diving fatalities. So I guess you can see my point.

Scott

ANDI IT #47 andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk will become famous soon enough andibk's Avatar
    Hammerhead, Optima and Nautilu

Hammerhead, Inspiration, Kiss

I would have to agree with sensor330. These are basic questions that anybody who is RB, technical and technical wreck qualified. Those are the prerequisites any diver would need to be able to do such a dive. If you do not have those qualifications I would first do the training. There is a gentlemen by the name of Harry Wenngatz in Nanaimo that actually taught me my Technical and technical wreck Instructor courses. Harry is a great guy, very patient and has alot of experience. Harry is a Training Director of ANDI. Remember once you enter a overhead environment the risk factors drastically increase.

andibk

RBW Founder schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford's Avatar

Great Wreck,

I can see why you ask the question as you would like to work out how much kit you would have to carry to do those type of dives which would help you to work out if RB is the way to go for you.

I do agree with the guys though before you do this dive get the training in and the experience levels up....but for now here goes...

BTW I dived this wreck with Leon, Bruce P, Dave(wedivebc) and Ron Micjan its great ;)

OK I work in Metric so will walk through it as such but then convert bail out to cubic feet at the end...

I am working this out as spending 30 mins at 40m then 20 mins at 30m and doing the dive on air as a diluent rather than trimix.

So staying on the RB I will incur 15 mins of deco using RGBM on +1 conservatism.

In terms of bailout I would carry two of my standard mixes which would probably be 32% to use as my bottom mix (If I bailed at 40m this would give me a 1.6 PPo2 - I am happy with this but an individual might want to drop this down) and for my rich mix on the right I would carry 50%.

This config would give me a deco obligation of 17mins(using RGBM +1) if I bailed at the end of the dive. In terms of gas usage I would carry 2 by 7ls which gives as ample reserve. Using Alu cylinders I would carry 2 by 40 cubic feet which again would give an ample reserve.

So for the this dive I would carry my Rebreather and a left slung 60 Cu Feet with 32% and right slung 40 cubic foot with 50%

Actually the above is one way - I just re looked at the numbers and I am so used to carrying at least 2 stages I over egged this.

You could carry just one 40 cubic footbailout stage of 32% slung on your left and that would give you a deco obligation of 24 mins and still plenty of gas.

So that is probably what I would do.

Stuart
    Last edited by schford; 26th October 2005 at 09:53.

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Stuart,

I am very impressed by your level of detail in your dive planning.
    Must confess, I would just load up with gas, jump in and enjoy (with obscene DIL/bailout tanks) until it gets boring. Your planning on this sort of dive puts me to shame.

Looks like the original question is from someone just joining the sport, so best advice is come to "sunny" Scotland. This sort of profile is done every day of the week in Scapa Flow or most other places around Scotland, and the course on deco diving or just experience could be done at the same time. Water is similar to Canada but does not freeze (just feels like it).

Thanks also for a tip on another interesting Canadian wreck. Now that Zoom take RBs without charge, I would love to hear of others (I know, Empress of Ireland ...), but some lesser known would be good.
    Cheers
    Alex

hi stuart
    thank you .
    I should haved explained my self futher ,so he goes. I started diving 2 years ago ,fell in love with the caverns in flordia.last fall I dove the sask, and got my ssi wreck card .I was talking to a tdi instructor about doing that dive on twin 100cubic and what tdi wreck course.twins was the way I was heading,since my buddy has gone to evolution rb ,I have been gathing info on them .since I live in canada the cost of training and rb is real close to $15,000 which I do not have laying around . I will dive and get trained hopefully next year .as for the type of person I am very safety person both in my job as well with diving, always checking my kit as you brits say.

ad_ward9
    when you come to dive the saskatchewan ,right next to it is the "cape breten" it bottom's out at 140' and is a larger ship than the sask.

Banned - Threat of Litigation AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9 has a reputation beyond repute AD_ward9's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by s75952004
    ad_ward9
    when you come to dive the saskatchewan ,right next to it is the "cape breten" it bottom's out at 140' and is a larger ship than the sask.
    Thanks. Come Spring, will be there. When does it thaw? Does it even freeze above the wreck?

PS: How close is "right next to"?
    Alex
    Last edited by AD_ward9; 26th October 2005 at 15:21.

RBW Member sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330 is a glorious beacon of light sensor330's Avatar
    Who cares

A few

I am going away till June but if you are looking for a RB partner on Vancouver Island I will take you out in my boat as I am always looking for RB partners.

Scott

CEO-Shearwater
    bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri has a brilliant future bgpartri's Avatar
    rEvo, JJ

Meg,CCR2000,KISS,Inspo,Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by AD_ward9

Water is similar to Canada but does not freeze (just feels like it).
    Actually, Nanaimo is about 6 degrees south of Glasgow. The water doesn't freeze. Even snow is quite unusual.
    The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is the illusion of knowledge.
    http://www.shearwater.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast