+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Scapa Flow CCR Diving

RBW Member Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545 is a splendid one to behold Lancer4545's Avatar
    Meg/Shearwater Pathfinder

Scapa Flow CCR Diving

Hi Guys,

It has always been a dream of mine to dive the wrecks of Scapa Flow and I have been thinking of going over next year.

That was until I spoke with a fellow diver and he seemed to think the diving was more of "Mythological Value" rather than actually being great wreck dives. If that's the case then I will look at other alternatives.

So my question is, is the diving there really all that great and are there any good CCR friendly operators running live aboard trips there.....Depths and the best time of the year to go.....Weather and temperature being amongst the considerations.

Thanks.

Lance

Banned Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn has much to be proud of Brad_Horn's Avatar
    Apoc

Drager

Re: Scapa Flow CCR Diving

Lance,

Havn't yet been there, like you it is on the list of to do's.

For operators, have only heard good things about John Thorton & MV Karin.
    Scapa Flow Diving, Orkney & John's Charters - Scuba Diving

A good drysuit is a given.

The shallower wrecks inside Scapa have apparently deteriotated however the deeper wrecks outside are still pristine from all the info I have seen.

A good book on the wrecks inside Scapa is "Dive Scapa Flow: By Ron Macdonald ISBN: 1 85158 5311"

Video Footage of the wrecks Scapa Flow Rebreather Diving, videosu, video, videolarý, izle, seyret else heaps "Scapa Flow Rebreather Diving" google.

Enjoy

regards
    Brad
    Last edited by Brad_Horn; 6th April 2008 at 09:21. Reason: Added link for video footage of wrecks

"Two Sheds" Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos has a reputation beyond repute Janos's Avatar
    JJ Rebreather

Classic Kiss

Quote Originally Posted by Lancer4545  View Original Post
    Hi Guys,

It has always been a dream of mine to dive the wrecks of Scapa Flow and I have been thinking of going over next year.

That was until I spoke with a fellow diver and he seemed to think the diving was more of "Mythological Value" rather than actually being great wreck dives. If that's the case then I will look at other alternatives.

So my question is, is the diving there really all that great and are there any good CCR friendly operators running live aboard trips there.....Depths and the best time of the year to go.....Weather and temperature being amongst the considerations.
    I went to Scapa for the first time last year in May and I'm going back this August. I think the wrecks are fantastic, but everyone has their own definitions of "fantastic". They are starting to break up, and I imagine there are many wrecks in better condition around the world.

However they are still very much 'shipshaped' and you really get a feel for the ship. I know that some people have booked week-long charters to just go and dive one wreck.

Depths vary between 30m (the crusiers) and 40m (the battleships), but whereas the crusiers are on their sides or upright-ish, the battleships are upside down because the heavy gun turrets made them turn turtle.

I went with Hazel and Helen on LINK: The Valkyrie which was superb and I'd throughly recommend it. I brought my own lime, but I'm sure they could arrange something for you.

However, it's a long way to come from Oz. When t'missus and I went to Australia, we spent three weeks there, the middle week being a week diving. I'd perhaps consider something similar.

Janos
    Last edited by Janos; 6th April 2008 at 08:16.

RBW Member xpabu is an unknown quantity at this point xpabu's Avatar
    Classic KISS

Sport KISS

I'd agree with Janos entirely. The big ships are excellent and the shallower blockships are fantastic as well, there's also plenty of alternatives. I'm looking forward to going back again this year for the first time on CCR.

The Karin, is a very, very good setup for technical diving--though it is very rough and ready... it's not the sort of place to take the missus. There's a heap of boats up there and it's also possible to use a day boat and stay on land.

Steve C UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve is a splendid one to behold UKSteve's Avatar

Scapa Flow is not for the faint hearted or the inexperienced .... wrecks are deep and dark..

Sadly having just read this thread I came across the following news story on another forum:

MARITIME AND COASTGUARD AGENCY News Release 5 April 2008 15:42

Shetland Coastguard is coordinating a search for a missing diver from a wreck site in Scapa Flow.

Shetland Coastguard was contacted at 10.50am by the dive boat Karen, reporting that a diver had not surfaced after a dive on the 40 metre depth Markgraf wreck site in Scapa Flow. Two divers had been diving when one of them got into difficulty and only one of the divers resurfaced.
    Shetland Coastguard scrambled the Coastguard Rescue Helicopter and requested the launch of Stromness and Longhope RNLI lifeboats. Coastguard Rescue Teams from Stromness and Hoy have joined the search.

The missing male diver is from Northampton.

Ends

From the Press Association at 02:47 on 06 April...

HOPES FADE FOR MISSING DIVER

The search resumed today for a diver feared dead after he went missing in the North Sea. The rescue operation was called off at 8.30pm yesterday after rescuers failed to find the man who had been missing for nine and a half hours. The alarm was raised at around 10.50am yesterday after the man failed to resurface from exploring a wreck.

Rescuers said there was little chance he was alive as survival time in the water would be only about three hours.

The 38-year-old, from the Cheshire area, was with another diver swimming above the 40m-deep vessel Markgraf in Scapa Flow off the Orkney Islands. He got into difficulties and failed to resurface. Emergency services were called and a major search was launched, co-ordinated by Shetland Coastguard.

A coastguard helicopter and Stromness and Longhope RNLI lifeboats searched the water, battling force 6-7 winds. Coastguard rescue teams from Hoy and Stromness were also involved in the operation. Rescuers found no trace of him. Shetland Coastguard said it had now handed the matter over to police.

end

RBW Member Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson is on a distinguished road Rob Dobson's Avatar
    JJ-CCR

MEG (COPIS II)

Yes a diver was lost yesterday and thoughts with the friends and family involved.

I spend several weeks a year up in Scapa. Scootering around battleships is about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. I due up there next in May I think where I will be on CCR for the 1st time. I'll be taking about 80Kg of Sorb up with me but I'm pretty sure Scapa Scuba will sell it.

I dive off of the MV Valkyrie which can boost gas for CCR divers and the boat has a lift on it which makes getting back onboard with multiple stages much easier. She's big, comfortable and fitted out to a very high standard.

Other boats are starting to get lifts on them but it is worth checking before you book.

Scapa consists of more than just the German fleet (the battleships and cruisers), there are numerous additional wrecks in and around the flow in depths ranging from 10-120m. It is a wreck diving paradise with something for everyone - it does not have to be deep dark and scary but that is of course optional.

When choosing a boat up in SCapa think whether or not you want a liveaboard or a day boat. Liveaboards are much easier IMO and the skipper can start heading out to the site whilst you are still in bed which means you usually get on the wrecks you want whilst the day boats have to fit in around the liveaboard boats.

Scapa is superb and if you have never been then do make the effort, it is worth it.

Born Again Diver! Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w has a spectacular aura about Dave1w's Avatar
    Kiss, JJ

Ray, APOC, rEvo

Hi Lance,
    I did Scapa about 8 years ago with Sunrise charters who were pretty good.
    If you are going that far, then you should make a trip of it and do the sound of Mull and the Clyde on the way back. ScotSac used to reckon Scapa was just a warm up for the Clyde.

I am starting to think about flying back home just to do them again.

Dave

Evolving 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB is just really nice 01RMB's Avatar
    Evolution

Sad to hear about the lost diver. Always a sad day when you hear about this sort of thing.

John Thornton from MV Karin (Scapa Flow Diving, Orkney & John's Charters - Scuba Diving) is an absolute champion. I spent a couple of weeks diving with him in the Java Sea. He is a great diver and very experienced. Lots of great stories and a lot of fun to do a dive trip with. I wouldn't hesitate to do a trip with him. Give him a call or send him an email and he will fill you in on the diving around Scapa Flow.

RBW Member Nemo1957 is an unknown quantity at this point Nemo1957's Avatar
    Optima

I have been to scapa Flow 3 times since 2000 and the diving is excellent. The wrecks while they are breaking up are still worth the trip, the big guns on the Markgraf are a site to see but you have to be under the wreck to see them. The photos are the tip of the stern gun on the Coln and the bow of the blockship Doyle.

Add really friendly locals, great pubs, and a historic landscape what more could you ask for.
    Attached Images

RBW Member Jean-Luc is an unknown quantity at this point Jean-Luc's Avatar

Some more videos of Scapaflow wrecks:
    Browse Movies

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast