+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where to stay near Lake City, Florida (Cave Country)?

RBW Member tumbler is an unknown quantity at this point tumbler's Avatar

Where to stay near Lake City, Florida (Cave Country)?

I'm taking a CCR cave class in Florida next month, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a hotel in Lake City that is clean and comfortable, but won't cost a fortune? Thanks.

Tim Owens netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage has much to be proud of netmage's Avatar

Re: Where to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler  View Original Post
    I'm taking a CCR cave class in Florida next month, and I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a hotel in Lake City that is clean and comfortable, but won't cost a fortune? Thanks.

Lake City - that means Optima w/ John Jones...?

Ummm., wait a few minutes for Howard to see this thread, he just did ITC w/ John...

I stayed in High Springs at the Cadillac..., it's a little 'spartan', but it was a big room and cheap...
    Last edited by netmage; 26th February 2008 at 19:35.

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Lake City motels are going through a state of transition. Many are getting so run down that the owners are finally dealing with the need to do some fixing. This is also driven by the fact that more "upscale" (a relative term given the area) places are now competing for business though at a higher price.

I used to stay at the Motel 6. However, if a cold front comes through, they have central air conditioning, and they shut it down. I can't stand sleeping in the heat. So, I have discontinued staying there.

On my last two trips, I have been staying at the Jasmine Garden Inn. This place is also in a state of transition. The old owner let the place run down, and the new owner is remodeling rooms. It is not what I would call upscale, but it is affordable and clean (especially in the remodeled rooms). They also have weekly rates, which is good if you are staying for more than about four or five days.

Jimmy is the onsite manager; let him know that the guy with the rebreather sent you, and ask for one of the remodeled rooms on the first floor. He is good about getting back to you if you send email and a phone number.

BTW, "remodeled" does not mean everything in the room is new. The furniture is old and hurting. I think they are working on improvements in phases.

If you need clothing hangers, bring your own. Also, the bathing towels are small.

Actually, the class is with Tom Mount. He suggested staying in Lake City or High Springs as an alternate.

I was getting the impression that there were some pretty sketchy places in Lake City, which is why I asked the group. A few of the places I called seemed OK, but a few wanted as much a $150 a night! I read a few reviews of the less costly places, but they were called "Bedbug Palace" as often as not. I'm happy to skip the amenities, but I don't want to be eaten alive while sleeping either :D.

Thanks for pointing me to the Jasmine Garden Inn. Their weekly rate is $170, which is much better than I've found anywhere. I'll certainly ask about the remodeled room and tell him "the guy with the rebreather" sent me... Thanks for the pointer!

Dalış Bahane Alem Şahane teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali is just really nice teomannaskali's Avatar

You could have named the thread where to stay in florida. So when someone searches for it, it doesnt take forever to find it.

Thought about that right after hitting the button... Sadly I can't change the thread name after the fact. Hopefully vbulletin's search is robust enough to lead people here despite the oversight.

Got one of the remodeled rooms a Jasmine Garden for the weekly special. Thanks again for the pointer. He's a really nice guy!

RBW Member billyf is an unknown quantity at this point billyf's Avatar

I always stay in one of Billís Trailers.
    http://www.caveexcursions.com/t-rentalhomes.aspx
    $55 a night for a double wide trailer thatís less than 10 minutes from most of the caves in the area, you just canít beat it.
    Also check out Richís website has a lot of info.
    http://caveandtechnicaltraining.com/TheCaveDivingPage.htm

RBW Member mriopel is an unknown quantity at this point mriopel's Avatar

Days Inn was a good place to stay when I was doing my class there.

Mike

RBW Member ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl is on a distinguished road ScubaAl's Avatar
    Inspiration, rEvo micro

As I'm typing this I'm sitting in my room at the "High Springs country Inn" in of course High Springs. The motel is older but very well taken care of and clean. My room was $40.00per night.
    Week and a half ago stayed at the "Cadillac Motel". In my opinion its a no brainer, stay at the Country Inn.
    Came down for Mod1 Feb. 17-20 then down to Pompano Beach to start trimix training. After 3 dives in Pompano just bumming around. Dove at Ginnie yesterday OC and might go to Blue Grotto today to practice on the Inspiration. Then time to head back north to Minnesota.
    Good Luck, Al

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teomannaskali  View Original Post
    You could have named the thread where to stay in florida. So when someone searches for it, it doesnt take forever to find it.
    Done.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast