+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Good Enough Springs, Del Rio Texas

Surface Interval Clothing Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez will become famous soon enough Pipnaintez's Avatar

Good Enough Springs, Del Rio Texas

Has anyone heard anything about this cave system in Texas? Looks interesting.

Goodenough Springs Exploration Project

~~~~~ #417 ~~~~~ PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer's Avatar

Re: Good Enough Springs, Del Rio Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Pipnaintez  View Original Post
    Has anyone heard anything about this cave system in Texas? Looks interesting.

Goodenough Springs Exploration Project
    Yes. Heard of it. It's actively being worked. It has promise to be at least the deepest cave in North America. Who knows; maybe more? Keep your eyes opened for it.

RBW Member jstovall is on a distinguished road jstovall is on a distinguished road jstovall's Avatar

Hey Guys, Havn't been because of work, but there was a few guys from the LDS that went down on a scouting dive to see if they could find the cave. This was back in January. There is a bouy next to the opening, If I remeber, its about 60 ft from opening. Boil on the sufraceof lake that shows flow is pretty high. Opening was at 165 ft as i recall from the report. They also reported there was a tight restriction that they could not get through a short distance in. One diver on Meg, two others on OC. I will try to find their report and post it. I think if you google "good enough spings" there are sites that will give you the exact coordinates. Just a bit of what i know.

James

~~~~~ #417 ~~~~~ PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer is a jewel in the rough PacketSniffer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jstovall  View Original Post
    They also reported there was a tight restriction that they could not get through a short distance in.
    Yes. I believe the details were the restriction is sidemount. Moreover, that is supposed to be the least of the worries. The flow is extremely strong through this restriction. Chuck Noe had told me that it's so difficult to go through in a dry suit that they only dive it in a wet suit. They also use a chain to pull themselves through. The water is unusually warm in this particular cave though. Deco in the lake is another story.

RBW Member Caves&Bunnies is an unknown quantity at this point Caves&Bunnies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PacketSniffer  View Original Post
    It has promise to be at least the deepest cave in North America.
    Seems to be a tossup between GES and Devil's hole. Although diving in devil's is prohibited due to the pupfish. IIRC, they lost a diver there in the 70's or 80's and his body was never recovered. The search team went to 200+ and they arrived at a deep vertical shaft. Who knows how deep it goes.

Safe Diving

RBW Member RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati will become famous soon enough RedDucati's Avatar

I read they have explored down to 515 ft depth and about 400 ft linear now as of last July. The outflow sounds pretty extreme.

Tyler

Not that it will help, but I had to share that I was at these springs before they were under Lake Amistad. Summer of '67 (I think) I had a summer job as an engineering aid for the Boundary and Water Commission. We were doing ground water studies on both sides of the border to determine the impact of the rising lake levels as they started to impound water. Goodenough Springs was I believe the 3rd largest (or 4th) spring in Texas. There was controversy between the US and Mexico as to what would happen to the spring flows when the springs were covered in water. I spent three days camped out there making short movies and still photos every hour as the level came up. The springs had a hell of a flow. The channel from the springs to the Rio Grand was about 12 feet wide, about 1 mile to the river, and flowed faster than you could walk. We measured the flow, but I no longer remember it. It was in the middle of a private ranch.

+ Reply to Thread