+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bloody Eyeballs

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Bloody Eyeballs

I have recently noticed a little issue with my eyes after diving.

on Jan 13th I went diving. 132' max depth for 1hr 38 min. 45 min bottom time the rest was deco.

yesterday i went diving. 173' max depth for 1hr 12min. 32min bottom time the rest deco.

Both dives went great without any issues. I had no niggles or any other problems post dive.

Here is the thing. 1st time, the white in my left eye turned red (left side of eye) 2nd time the white in my right eye turned red (left side of eye).

I don't recall any mask squeeze or equalization problems. The eyeball thing appears the morning after the dive.

Any ideas of what the hell is going on with my eyes. It is kinda freaky.
    Oh yeah, it takes about a week for it to clear up.

I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Re: Bloody Eyeballs

Is it bloody, or just red?

The former is a subconjuctival hemmorhage, which results from a burst blood vessel in a layer of the eye. They look really bad, but are not clinically important and resolve on their own. These could be a result of a pressure difference like a mask squeeze.

The later is non-specific, but is usually a result of some sort of irritation. Maybe your mask defogger? or just the saltwater?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    I have recently noticed a little issue with my eyes after diving.

on Jan 13th I went diving. 132' max depth for 1hr 38 min. 45 min bottom time the rest was deco.

yesterday i went diving. 173' max depth for 1hr 12min. 32min bottom time the rest deco.

Both dives went great without any issues. I had no niggles or any other problems post dive.

Here is the thing. 1st time, the white in my left eye turned red (left side of eye) 2nd time the white in my right eye turned red (left side of eye).

I don't recall any mask squeeze or equalization problems. The eyeball thing appears the morning after the dive.

Any ideas of what the hell is going on with my eyes. It is kinda freaky.
    Oh yeah, it takes about a week for it to clear up.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

It is definitely bloody!

The last time it cleared up by itself in about a week.

I am more concerned with preventing it from happening every time I dive. There is also the issue of - should I dive with my eye f**ked?
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Randy Thornton Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict has much to be proud of Mixaddict's Avatar
    Hammerhead Sentinel Evolution

Optima Inspiration Prism 2

I'm not a doc, but I have seen this happen quite a bit with rebreather divers. I tend to think that it is caused by mask squeeze. Due to the fact that CCR divers concentrate on "not breathing out through their noses" I think that we tend to ignore or not notice mask squeeze as easily as when we were diving OC and didn't have to worry about nose breathing. In our OC days, we breathed a little bit out through our nose, and the mask equalization took care of itself. Now on CCR, we have to think about equalizing the mask! Just one more little issue with CCR! (Like we don't have enough to worry about already!)

Hope it resolves itself soon!

Regards,
    Randy

I like diving chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter has much to be proud of chunter's Avatar
    Mk15.5, Mk15

Inpisspiration, KISS

You may also consider getting checked for a PFO. A buddy of mine was getting spots in the whites of his eyes and it turned out to be from a PFO.

Does this only happen on deep dives?

Aloha,
    Charlie

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by chunter  View Original Post
    You may also consider getting checked for a PFO. A buddy of mine was getting spots in the whites of his eyes and it turned out to be from a PFO.

Does this only happen on deep dives?

Aloha,
    Charlie

define deep?

only happened 2 times.
    132' and 173' dives.

I am leaning towards mask squeeze. I have been to 130'-140' on several occassions and this never happened before. I do descend alot faster than I used to though. I drop at about 40-60 feet per minute. It took me 4 min to get to 173'

New Member duffmiver is an unknown quantity at this point duffmiver's Avatar

I had the same thing happen to me, was a fairly shallow dive(80 ft), but I'll bet it happened somewhere in the first 20ft. I had just switched to a very low volume mask and was diving a new rebreather for the first time as well. I don't remember ever getting much mask squeeze, but I think I was just a little late equalizing the mask on the way down, thinking about the new rig a little too much and forgot the obvious. I don't think it takes much with a low volume mask, I'd never had it happen before, and it hasn't happened since.

Bubble free by choice steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss is a jewel in the rough steveharriss's Avatar
    rEvo

Meg

I sneezed last week and was horrified to find the white of my left eye was covered in blood when I looked in a mirror 15 minutes later. One trip to the Doctors later I was reassured to find that it's a fairly common occurrence and nothing to worry about. I asked about diving but was told there was no reason why I couldn't continue to dive as it was just like a bruise and would disappear over the next 14 days or so.

Quite dramatic looking though!

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

It must have been mask squeeze. On my last dive, I descended slower and made sure to equalize the mask too. No bloody eyeballs:D

Alias - Ray Mansell kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver will become famous soon enough kiwi_diver's Avatar
    AKA-60 Orca SCR

So it wasn't a 40 oz of bourbon you'd hammered the night before then? :D I'll bet that's a huge relief!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast