+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Weird comment from a scuba doc

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Weird comment from a scuba doc

I want to ask opinions from our forums medical experts. I heard a really odd statement from a scuba doc.

This is how the story goes. My wife got a minor dcs hit with some skin symptoms and minor balance problems in some tests. She took on Navy 6 table run in the chamber and all symptoms resolved. The doc banned diving for one month and wanted to do a check-up medical after one month.

OK, she went to the check-up and the doc found that everything was normal. Then he started the weird part. He banned all gas changes (like EAN --> O2). The reason was that when you are switching regs you kinda like rise 5m in the water column (or go to an altitude of 5000m) And this happens during the few seconds when you donīt have any reg in your mouth during the gas switch... The doc also tried to bann diving on EANx which my wife opposed :)

She told me about this and I thought it was weird. Can anyone understand anything about this? To me it seems full of BS...

JH

Submerge Productions PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver is a splendid one to behold PCDiver's Avatar

Re: Weird comment from a scuba doc

Quote Originally Posted by jhaaja  View Original Post
    I want to ask opinions from our forums medical experts. I heard a really odd statement from a scuba doc.

This is how the story goes. My wife got a minor dcs hit with some skin symptoms and minor balance problems in some tests. She took on Navy 6 table run in the chamber and all symptoms resolved. The doc banned diving for one month and wanted to do a check-up medical after one month.

OK, she went to the check-up and the doc found that everything was normal. Then he started the weird part. He banned all gas changes (like EAN --> O2). The reason was that when you are switching regs you kinda like rise 5m in the water column (or go to an altitude of 5000m) And this happens during the few seconds when you donīt have any reg in your mouth during the gas switch... The doc also tried to bann diving on EANx which my wife opposed :)

She told me about this and I thought it was weird. Can anyone understand anything about this? To me it seems full of BS...

JH
    Sounds very strange. Was your wife tested for a PFO?

Jani Haaja jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja is just really nice jhaaja's Avatar
    JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

No PFO testing. Only typical balance test, reflexes etc.

JH

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

time to get a new doctor....

rachel

JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Quote Originally Posted by bendomatic  View Original Post
    time to get a new doctor....

rachel
    He is supposed to be one of the leading two in Finland... That is what concerns me. I know that he is not a diver and might not have much knoledge of technical diving, gas switches etc.

JH

Banned Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del is a name known to all Andy Del's Avatar
    JJ, it rocks!

Sports KISS

My wife got a minor dcs hit with some skin symptoms and minor balance problems in some tests.
    Just to change gears a little, but don't balance problems indicate some inner ear or other neurological involvement? I wouldn't think of that as 'minor'...

The thing about EAN etc is just another doc who has no clue. My ex-GP told me flat out the pressure from scubadiving wold crush me 'flat as a pancake' and I would not survive past a few metres. He then admitted he knew nothing about diving. What an .

RBW Member SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ is a jewel in the rough SteveJ's Avatar

JH
    I'm pleased to hear your wife has made a full recovery. You might wish to have another consultation with the doctor as it may be there was some form of missunderstanding in the advice. Certainly, it would be wrong for any of Docs on the forum to criticise the advice given as we are not in a position to know all the facts, examine the patient etc.

I would make the following general comments though:

1. a DCS involving balance is not a minor hit as it assumes a neurological or vestibular problem.

2. I wonder if the advice wasn't somehow related to avoiding isobaric counter diffusion, i.e going from a He to a nitrox mix and the risk of vertigo etc ...

You don't mention the type of diving, the profile, any gas switches etc. so any further comment is futile.

I think, to be honest, a further chat and clarification between your wife and the doc is the best advice.

Hope she's back diving soon.

Steve

JJ-CCR, Inspo Classic

HH Inspo

Thanks for the comments so far. I also think that the doc has somehow mixed up isobaric counter diffusion into this. He used as an example a switch from EAN to O2, where this perceived pressure drop will happen. I have no clue about anything like that and never heard anything even close.

But could be that the doc tried to apply isobaric counter diffusion into the equation.

The dive that resulted to DCS was OC nitrox dive without gas switches. Bottom depth aroun 20-24m for 35-40mins on EAN32.

She is diving now and we do it even more conservative and also use O2 from 6m up if the dive was even near decodive.

JH

TITAN-ITE grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52 will become famous soon enough grandizer52's Avatar
    pearl city hawaii EARTH moving to Iscandar

Your Docs playing it safe in a world of sue crazy people...in Hyperbaric treatment your suppose to BIB in 02.there's a link on the navy dive manual for that. I'll try and PDF link it for you.

RBW Member aleksi is on a distinguished road aleksi is on a distinguished road aleksi's Avatar

JH,

for what it's worth, (probably) the same doctor gave the same recommendation of not switching gasses to a friend of mine after dcs.

He also got severe balance symptoms after a no-stop oc nitrox dive. His symptoms resolved totally with several chamber rides. The recommendation sounded very odd to me too.

-Aleksi Ilmonen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast