+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rebreathers in Fiji?

Rebreathers in Fiji?

I am looking into taking a trip to Fiji. Probably Beqa Lagoon, Has anyone been there diving an Evo? What is available there for support? O2? Any information would be very helpful as I have not yet traveled with my Evo and I am new to Rebreathers. Thanks!:)

Moderator jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski has a reputation beyond repute jradomski's Avatar
    Hammehead & rEvo & Custom

KISS,Optima,Inspiration,Meg

Re: Rebreathers in Fiji?

Quote Originally Posted by Live2Dive  View Original Post
    I am looking into taking a trip to Fiji. Probably Beqa Lagoon, Has anyone been there diving an Evo? What is available there for support? O2? Any information would be very helpful as I have not yet traveled with my Evo and I am new to Rebreathers. Thanks!:)
    I would contact Rusty Berry at scuba schools of america in California. he has run rebreather trips to fiji and has some already planned for the future (christmas week this year and next)..

rusty@scubaschoolsofamerica.com
    Joe Radomski
    CCR Trimix Instructor Trainer
    ANDI Instructor Trainer Director #10

All posts are personal opinions and DO NOT reflect any affiliated agency unless specifically stated.

New Member Hodge Podge will become famous soon enough Hodge Podge will become famous soon enough Hodge Podge will become famous soon enough Hodge Podge's Avatar

Been to BLR twice in the last year and No O2 on the island, Suva, or Nadi.

The owner has talked about nitrox in the future but no plans as of yet.
    As I understand there is no O2 for diving and it is in short supply for medical uses.

RBW Member voodoogas is an unknown quantity at this point voodoogas's Avatar

Plenty of O2 in Suva.....we use Aquatrek....talk to Brandon for ordering O2. You can preship absorbant if you want....or contact me directly for more specifics.

Just got back from Fiji and did a total of 12 rebreather dives. Myself and a guy (who will forever be known as ScubaGuyver) hooked up the O2 fills.

Rented tanks from N'aia divers and bought scrubber from them as well. The resort gave us O2 in the form of a 7600 liter medical O2 cylinder. Not exactly what I was expecting. Naturally the pressure in the rebreather tank could only be as high as the pressure from the big tank. And each subsequent refill with less air. Hence only 12 dives. By the end of the refills we were getting about 1000psi.

We also had to hook up a nifty contraption to fit a yoke valve to a din hookup on the Diluent tanks. I will never travel without teflon tape again. (or O2 lube, cresent wrench, hex keys, leatherman...)

Bottom line: if you are diving rebreathers in Fiji N'aia divers is the only place to go. My only bitch with N'aia was they sent scrubber that was set to expire in one month. Thanks to the great gnu for the temp stick on the inspiration. I don't see how you other guys do this without a temp stick. Big fan of the temp stick.

I hope I never have to dive like that again.

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

Got back from Beqa lagoon in fiji in september. They supplied O2, we shipped our sorb ahead and brought a booster. Dove all we wanted.

Needed an bullnose adapter, which we had to find somewhere, so a selection of adapters would be a good idea

Mature mouth breather silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running has a reputation beyond repute silent running's Avatar
    Prism

Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by SFoster  View Original Post
    Just got back from Fiji and did a total of 12 rebreather dives. Myself and a guy (who will forever be known as ScubaGuyver) hooked up the O2 fills.

Rented tanks from N'aia divers and bought scrubber from them as well. The resort gave us O2 in the form of a 7600 liter medical O2 cylinder. Not exactly what I was expecting. Naturally the pressure in the rebreather tank could only be as high as the pressure from the big tank. And each subsequent refill with less air. Hence only 12 dives. By the end of the refills we were getting about 1000psi.

We also had to hook up a nifty contraption to fit a yoke valve to a din hookup on the Diluent tanks. I will never travel without teflon tape again. (or O2 lube, cresent wrench, hex keys, leatherman...)

Bottom line: if you are diving rebreathers in Fiji N'aia divers is the only place to go. My only bitch with N'aia was they sent scrubber that was set to expire in one month. Thanks to the great gnu for the temp stick on the inspiration. I don't see how you other guys do this without a temp stick. Big fan of the temp stick.

I hope I never have to dive like that again.

Hello SFoster, thanks for the info.

I have been on many CCR trips to the Pacific and the Caribbean and rule number 1 is: Bring your own sorb. It's the only way you can know for sure that it's not out of date and that it hasn't been handled/stored badly. I have only had one trip that turned out badly and that was because I relied on the operator to supply sorb.

Rule number 2: Get pictures of the O2 tank valves to make sure you have the right fittings/adapters before you get on the plane. Digital photos and the internet are your friend, use them and prevent desparate scrambling around for adapters and have to use a leaky, canabalized and potentially unsafe whip.

Rule number 3: If you don't have a booster, only dive a unit with at least 3ltrs/20cuft. Otherwise you will have to fill your O2 tank more than once a day.

Rule number 4: Always order more O2/multiple cylinders than you think you will need. That way, you can hold a higher pressure tank in reserve to top off the low pressure fills that happen as you get down to 1000psi in the others.

I have never had a problem getting O2 even in the farthest parts of Indonesia, anywhwere there is a hospital, there is an O2 source and regular shipments of it. Just have the dive op contact them and add to their order. If they are uncooperative, have the operator try the nearest welding supplier. -Andy

New Rebreather Diver RoyJN is an unknown quantity at this point RoyJN's Avatar
    Inspiration vision

Hi, I'm sorry to resurrect a thread, but have anybody dove on the NAIA and brought their rebreater along?

+ Reply to Thread