Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Attention!!! AI O2 Sensor Recall

New Member CCRDVR is an unknown quantity at this point CCRDVR's Avatar

Exclamation Attention!!! AI O2 Sensor Recall

I received an e-mail today from Dive Rite Express notifying me of a recall on some of the Analytical Industries O2 sensor sold by Dive Rite Express and others. This is the e-mail I received: Dear Dive Rite Express or Fill Express customer,

This message is being sent to you because our records indicate you have purchased oxygen sensors. These sensors are manufactured by Analytical Industries for use in diving applications, and sold by several companies including Dive Rite Express under a variety of part numbers. Recently, there are reports of severely shortened life and/or eratic behaviors with some of these oxygen sensors. Upon investigation Analytical Industries determined the cause was a change in their manufacturing process that began in June 2007.

Dive Rite Express would like to offer FREE replacement of the suspect oxygen sensors. They are black in color and may be labeled with the Dive Rite Express name and/or the Analytical Industries name. The sensors have a serial number indicating year and month that begins with the three digits 706, 707, 708, 709, or 710. We recommend discontinuing the use of these sensors.

We expect to begin receiving supplies of corrected sensors from the manufacturer in the next few days. You may send us the serial numbers of any suspect sensors. As appropriate, we will ship replacements to the address you specify along with a pre-paid return envelope for the suspect sensors. You may reply to this e-mail (n2diving@DiveRiteExpress.com) or telephone us at 954-786-0661.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but feel replacement of the sensors is in your best interest.

Sincerely,
    Mark Derrick
    Fill Express, LLC
    Dive Rite Express

Thanks to Dive Rite Express for informing thier customers of a possible problem.
    Last edited by CCRDVR; 17th November 2007 at 02:23. Reason: More info

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Re: Attention!!! O2 Sensor Recall

Quote Originally Posted by CCRDVR  View Original Post
    I received an e-mail today from Dive Rite Express notifying me of a recall on some of the Analytical Industries O2 sensor sold by Dive Rite Express and others. This is the e-mail I received: Dear Dive Rite Express or Fill Express customer,

This message is being sent to you because our records indicate you have purchased oxygen sensors. These sensors are manufactured by Analytical Industries for use in diving applications, and sold by several companies including Dive Rite Express under a variety of part numbers. Recently, there are reports of severely shortened life and/or eratic behaviors with some of these oxygen sensors. Upon investigation Analytical Industries determined the cause was a change in their manufacturing process that began in June 2007.

Dive Rite Express would like to offer FREE replacement of the suspect oxygen sensors. They are black in color and may be labeled with the Dive Rite Express name and/or the Analytical Industries name. The sensors have a serial number indicating year and month that begins with the three digits 706, 707, 708, 709, or 710. We recommend discontinuing the use of these sensors.

We expect to begin receiving supplies of corrected sensors from the manufacturer in the next few days. You may send us the serial numbers of any suspect sensors. As appropriate, we will ship replacements to the address you specify along with a pre-paid return envelope for the suspect sensors. You may reply to this e-mail (n2diving@DiveRiteExpress.com) or telephone us at 954-786-0661.

We apologize for this inconvenience, but feel replacement of the sensors is in your best interest.

Sincerely,
    Mark Derrick
    Fill Express, LLC
    Dive Rite Express

Thanks to Dive Rite Express for informing thier customers of a possible problem.

and we have to find out about this recall 3rd hand from a poster on the forum instead of the manufacturer?

typical f_cked up lack of professional responisibility i come to expect from many suppiers of life support components and systems

Drmike whos 4th new AI sensor on the trot failed 3hrs into last dive

I hope those people (including a certain mnf) who promote people change all 3 cells all at the same time think about the potential consequences after reading about the above batch failure.

Is it true (as Ive just been informed) that the guy who died in Malin was using 3 new AI cells?
    If so do we know if he toxed?
    Last edited by Drmike; 17th November 2007 at 03:11.

RBW Member doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen's Avatar

Re: Attention!!! AI O2 Sensor Recall

From my experience, the sensors will fail in one's or two's.....I've replaced 4 since July, plus my spare....5 sensors....., but at the start of a dive if all three don't read good....I'll dive OC.....

I suppose it is possible for two to fail "during" a dive, but I'd think that would be unlikely....the ones that have failed on me were fine the day of the dive, but failed the next am....and/or prior to the next dive...either one or two at a time....and who would dive with one or two failures prior to a dive?

O2 tox could be a culprit, but, as I've seen thus far....most ccr dive accidents lean towards diver error and not equipment failure.

RBW Member Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by doug allen  View Original Post
    From my experience, the sensors will fail in one's or two's
    you have been diving rebreathers since 2007? :D

I suppose it is possible for two to fail "during" a dive, but I'd think that would be unlikely....the ones that have failed on me were fine the day of the dive, but failed the next am....and/or prior to the next dive...either one or two at a time....and who would dive with one or two failures prior to a dive?

O2 tox could be a culprit, but, as I've seen thus far....most ccr dive accidents lean towards diver error and not equipment failure.
    Ive had 2 cells fail during a dive, Ive had (and a buddy has had) 3 cells fail during a dive (the later had a tox) in both cases cells were new

The point is cells have a known history of BATCH failures so we should never use all 3 cells from same batch - as they could all fail (dropping output) at similar rates and time and the user wouldnt know (see 2 instances above) Cells fail as they age but you are far less likely to get cells failing at same time if you stagger their replacement

why take the risk? Id rather have 2 from one mnf and one from another come to that.

Did you know that one way cells can fail is if the temp compensation isnt linear. That can be a batch fault and theres no way to detect it pre dive OR post dive cells look and behave fine, as the fault manifests itself only as loop warms up. User will never know unless he dil flushes during the dive. (see case above)

I bought 3 AI cells - they all failed after about 6 hours in water. They sent me 3 replacements. I fitted one of the replacements in my BOB and it just failed a few hours into my 1st dive on it.
    Last edited by Drmike; 17th November 2007 at 04:09.

RBW Member doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen is on a distinguished road doug allen's Avatar

No Dr.Mike...I didn't know that.....just offered my experience....I suppose he did die from O2 tox....dang....you really know a bunch.....

Wow.....can I dive with you and be safe? Really Dr.Mike...you are SuperDuper!

These sites are here for knowledge and experience....I just shared my experience and Dr.Mike wants to make fun of the fact that I've been diving CCR just this year....ok...that is fine....but I just offered an opinion about the failures of O2 sensors and my experience......that being that if they are good when you start the dive, with my "limited experience" they didn't fail during the dive.........

anyway...I suppose I'll read and not post anymore....for fear that the almighty Dr.Mike may question something offered.........btw DR.Mike.....take a shot at a rolling doughnut! better yet, go diving with that guy from Mexico that took pics of a hammerhead at 200' on a single 80....

Morgan's Mum bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic is just really nice bendomatic's Avatar
    Classic Kiss

Sport Kiss

Re: Attention!!! O2 Sensor Recall

Quote Originally Posted by Drmike  View Original Post
    and we have to find out about this recall 3rd hand from a poster on the forum instead of the manufacturer?
    they certainly lurk on here as i've received a PM after writing about my experiences.
    rachel

Not to pick on anyone ... but

Whatever happened to Alex Deas's "Teledyne sucks" report and "AI rules" conclusion? I pretty much took it at face value and ordered some AI sensors ... eye roll to me . Are we rethinking the relative merits of Teledyne and AI sensors?

Head Dishwasher
    Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey has a reputation beyond repute Monkey's Avatar
    Meg-Pathfinder-Evo +

As a reseller of these cells ..... I promise I will get what ever information I can on this problem.

PM me with any questions or concerns.

Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by doug allen  View Original Post
    No Dr.Mike...I didn't know that.....just offered my experience....I suppose he did die from O2 tox....dang....you really know a bunch.....
    I never said anyone died of 02 tox - i only asked if anyone knew if he had a tox or not and asked if he was using AI cells as i recieved a pm suggesting both. I was asking for clarification in the absence pf knowledge - something I think is a good thing to do.

Wow.....can I dive with you and be safe? Really Dr.Mike...you are SuperDuper!
    Oh ok can see Ive upset your feelings. I only asked if it was true you had been diving RBs for less than a year because I found it odd if you have been how come you speak so confidently about how often 'in your experience' cells fail. You really had 5 cells in less that a year rb diving?

These sites are here for knowledge and experience....I just shared my experience and Dr.Mike wants to make fun of the fact that I've been diving CCR just this year....ok...that is fine....but I just offered an opinion about the failures of O2 sensors and my experience......that being that if they are good when you start the dive, with my "limited experience" they didn't fail during the dive.........
    The fact that your totally incorrect in that assumption demonstrates the danger in quoting 'in my experience' when that experience is so limited. Cells can and do fail during dives when they apear fine at start of dives.

anyway...I suppose I'll read and not post anymore....for fear that the almighty Dr.Mike may question something offered.........btw DR.Mike.....take a shot at a rolling doughnut! better yet, go diving with that guy from Mexico that took pics of a hammerhead at 200' on a single 80....
    I have no idea why your having such a hissy girlie fit. I just highlighted you have been diving less than a year - thats all. Your the one who brought your experience into the discussion by referenacing against it.

No need to get all angry at me - this is a good forum with loads of good info -plenty for everyone to learn, just maybe better not to state absolutes based on limited experiences - as it can misslead some when the info given is incorrect as it is in this case.Dont be discouraged from posting theres nothing wrong with posting opinions or experiences no matter how extreme or limited the experience is, but generaly, for the sake of all, i think its good protocal to say 'in my limited experience' if the experience is indeed limited - it helps people to put that opinion into better perspective - which can only be a good think I think. If im not 100% sure about something I tend to say nothing and if i have to I quantify it with 'i may be talking bol1ocks' if im not 100% sure. We all no doubt know people who become overnight experts on subjects

Love and peace to all

Clearly your upset - wasnt my intention - im sorry i upset you
    Last edited by Drmike; 17th November 2007 at 07:06.

RBW Member Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil has a spectacular aura about Phil's Avatar
    rEvo, Sentinel, Ouroboros

Inspiration, Megalodon,

At least now it is official, and it certainly answers all the questions we have had over the last few months about the quality of these cells.

Totally agree with Dr. Mike, communication stinks!!! I just checked their website and guess what no information neither!

Barrie did you get the same info, how do we go about to replace these cells bought through RWS that fit the profile!

Cheers,

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast