+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hmhs Britannic

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

Hmhs Britannic

"Titanic's Tragic Sister," detailing the 2006 HMHS Britannic expedition led by Richie Kohler and John Chatterton, will be premiering on Sunday, October 14th at 10:00 PM on The History Channel (US). For those of you that missed it, the two-hour documentary "Titanic's Achilles Heel," which also features footage from the 2006 Britannic expedition, will air on October 14 as well, beginning at 8:00 PM.

Cheers,
    Mike

RBW Member Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie has a brilliant future Beanie's Avatar

Re: Hmhs Britannic

Quote Originally Posted by barney  View Original Post
    "Titanic's Tragic Sister," detailing the 2006 HMHS Britannic expedition led by Richie Kohler and John Chatterton, will be premiering on Sunday, October 14th at 10:00 PM on The History Channel (US). For those of you that missed it, the two-hour documentary "Titanic's Achilles Heel," which also features footage from the 2006 Britannic expedition, will air on October 14 as well, beginning at 8:00 PM.

Cheers,
    Mike
    "Titanic's Achilles Heel," was good
    "Titanic's Tragic Sister," is not on in the UK yet, will have to keep an eye open.

RBW Member Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino is just really nice Frankie Pellegrino's Avatar

Hey Mike

I guess you type faster then I do

Here's a little more info who ever is interested

Rebreathers that were used for the dive were

Inspiration / Evolution
    Megalodon
    Ouroboros

The Britannic is in Titanic's Tragic Sister:
    Considered the "Everest of wreck diving," the Britannic was discovered in 1976 on an Underwater Exploration by Jacques Cousteau. The Britannic is the larger sister to the ill-fated Titanic. On November 21, 1916, Britannic was steaming through the Kea Channel in the Aegean when an explosion ripped through the ship causing the world's largest ocean liner to sink. Whether it was a German mine or submarine torpedo that sank her, a bigger mystery remains: Why did this giant ship sink so fast? It took her only 55 minutes to disappear beneath the ocean waves, three times faster than Titanic. Join wreck divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler as they lead an expedition to unravel this mystery of the Britannic's final hour.

New Member barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney is a splendid one to behold barney's Avatar

And yet more stuff:

TITANIC'S TRAGIC SISTER TRAILER

and

BEHIND THE SCENES

You best watch the show or Frankie will kick your azz...

:D
    Attached Images

RBW Member Craig Baumann is an unknown quantity at this point Craig Baumann's Avatar

Evan Kovacs is a friend of mine, and in August, we talked about the show "Titanic's Tragic Sister." Considering the difficulties everyone on the production team faced during the expedition, I thought they did a wonderful job with it. I got home last night from taking my son back to his college dorm room down in Eugene, just in time to miss only 10 minutes of it. I taped it, and I was able to view it two more times in its entirety.

I enjoyed this production, but of course, by now everyone knows the dive teams fell short of their ultimate goal, discovering why Britannic sunk so quickly. I know from reading in the DAN magazines, medical teams were on board doing advance Doppler research on the divers, something that I am sure will help diving medical science. I found it amazing no one to my knowledge go hurt diving, and if anything, that is a great success.

Some of the high-def footage of the Britannic is wonderful, especially the images of the divers coming down the descent line. I am sure the teams would have liked to accomplish more, but technical and equipment difficulties and government interference played a big part in their inability to get going and keep a momentum. Even weather played a part in their delays. From talking to Evan who helped plan a lot of the expedition, it was a monumental task just getting everyone together, let alone coordinating all the equipment needed. Much of the equipment had to be trucked in from the UK in the end. As the documentary showed, they even had to convert a fishing boat when they arrived.

I wish the best of luck and extend a heartfelt thanks to all the individuals who made this documentary possible as they go forward into other ventures. I am a true John, Richie, and Evan fan, so perhaps I am bias, but I sincerely believe under the circumstance, everyone did a magnificent job pulling this thing together.

Great show! Onward.

Craig Baumann
    Sea Star Scuba
    Portland, Oregon
    PADI Instructor /
    TDI Technical Diver
    Last edited by Craig Baumann; 15th October 2007 at 18:45.

RBW Member brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc is a glorious beacon of light brandonmc's Avatar

Is there going to be a taxi cab confessions special feature on the DVD release??

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Baumann  View Original Post
    by now everyone knows the dive teams fell short of their ultimate goal, discovering why Britannic sunk so quickly.
    I thought the last 2 or 3 expeditions concluded the open waterproof bulkhead doors where to blame?

It seems that every year now another group go to the Britannic with impressive mountains of kit, do some dives, shoot great footage, complain about the conditions (rough, busy sea channel) make some claims about how it sunk then say they didn't achieve all their goals.

Time for a new "ultimate" wreck IMO.

RBW Member Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown's Avatar
    Cave Meg

Sentinel, Evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    I thought the last 2 or 3 expeditions concluded the open waterproof bulkhead doors where to blame?

It seems that every year now another group go to the Britannic with impressive mountains of kit, do some dives, shoot great footage, complain about the conditions (rough, busy sea channel) make some claims about how it sunk then say they didn't achieve all their goals.

Time for a new "ultimate" wreck IMO.
    I can see it now!

Ground breaking expedition to the Stanegarth that sank in spurious circumstances. Many have tried to conqueror her, but she wont give up the secrete of why so many divers are lured by her greenish waters. Diving condition in the area can be abysmal, not to mentioned the shear volume of traffic around the wreck making diving conditions frustrating for even the most technical of divers. :)

I'll never get tired of seeing images from the Britannic --- But I know what you mean!