+ Reply to Thread

Thread: % Helium in stages to make them float

still learning... gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan is a glorious beacon of light gallathan's Avatar

% Helium in stages to make them float

In the interest of streamlining, avoiding bad trim / tanks stirring silt, I'm interested in rules of thumb for how much Helium is needed in a stage to make it float. Here in the UK, seems an ALI80 / ali tanks need about 30 to 35% Helium to make them float, and at the weekend my buddy had a steel 232 bar 12ltr that had a floating tail with 60% helium in it. It was noticable too that with 10 bar less (i.e. 200 -> 190) bar, the tail cam up a lot. So wondering what the %He vs reducing pressure in the tank trade off is.

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Re: % Helium in stages to make them float

Quote Originally Posted by gallathan  View Original Post
    In the interest of streamlining, avoiding bad trim / tanks stirring silt, I'm interested in rules of thumb for how much Helium is needed in a stage to make it float. Here in the UK, seems an ALI80 / ali tanks need about 30 to 35% Helium to make them float, and at the weekend my buddy had a steel 232 bar 12ltr that had a floating tail with 60% helium in it. It was noticable too that with 10 bar less (i.e. 200 -> 190) bar, the tail cam up a lot. So wondering what the %He vs reducing pressure in the tank trade off is.

Mt steel 10s float arse up with 250 bar 18/45in. My ali 80 sinks like a stone with 235bar 50% in.

ATB

Mark

Fresh water its better in the sea.

hell is in the details Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T's Avatar
    JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE

EDO04 Ray

for simple computation count 1,3 gramme for 1liter of air or of o2 ( 1,3kg for one cunic meter ) and zero for helium ( yes I know it isnt true ).

For no computation at all and admitting that hélium count for nothing in the weight you deflate progressively in water your tank filled with air and note the pressure remaining in the tank when the buoyancy seems correct so what is NOT in the tank is the place for hélium.

cheers

Marc

Acme Serpentine Lubricant lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland's Avatar

I made up a buoyancy calculator for myself a while ago, I'm not a chemist or engineer so feel free to point out the errors :D

Cheers,

Stuart
    Attached Files

RBW Member Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko is a jewel in the rough Mikel-Deko's Avatar
    HH Inspiration / Joki

Dolphin, Megalodon, RGU

Hi
    My two cents,
    This weekend i've been diving a wreek in -50 mtrs. Two stages:
    Ali80 Tx 17/40 200 bar FLOATS
    7Litrs Aluminium Tx 45/25 170 bar SUNKS
    And we found a tank that we lost two years ago. I took it with me to bring it to the anchor line to bring it up with the bouy. It was a 18 steel full of air. It was like a ton on my side.
    Hope that this will help you.
    Best
    Mikel

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

Have you been diving Helium in your fish pond AGAIN?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Chase  View Original Post

So many CCR So little etc Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase's Avatar
    JJ Hybrid

Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    Have you been diving Helium in your fish pond AGAIN?

I had to get the bloody hours up some how M8 and Layborns £5.00 to get in ;)

ATB

Mark Chase

+ Reply to Thread