+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sprague/Teledyne Booster Pump Seals

RBW Member shipreq is an unknown quantity at this point shipreq's Avatar
    None, but open minded

None

Re: Sprague/Teledyne Booster Pump Seals

New to discussion board here, and to get it out of the way, I am currently only an open circuit diver. BUT am very open minded....In regards to this thread, I recently purchased a Sprague Booster A86JN30/30 (1996 vintage) with the purpose of making it an O2 booster. In contacting Curtis Wright, as I am in the process of O2 cleaning, they indicated this unit can not be used for O2 service. The discussions I have seen seem to indicate these units are in fact being used for O2 service??? Many thanks for your feed back.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

I have an 86JN unit myself. I do use it for any gas that I want from simple air, O2, helium, or nitrox.

I did disassemble and O2 clean to the best of my abilities without actual O2 compatable seals from Spraque. They are not available and this process is not recommended.

There is absolutely no buffer if the high pressure seals begin to leak. The drive gas will be in direct contact with the compressed gas. This can become a problem with high pressures of O2.

If you wish to pursue this venue, 1) make sure your drive gas is dry and oil free. 2) make sure to boost O2 slowly and keep the temperature of the booster and tanks down.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

Quote Originally Posted by kwinter  View Original Post
    I could just be blowing smoke out my butt.
    And note the wisdom from DSix36
    MY ADVICE AND POSTS ARE WORTH EXACTLY WHAT YOU PAID FOR THEM!!!!!!
    POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS SO YESTERDAY AND I AM DONE WITH IT!!!!!

Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on a booster pump. Can anyone tell me if the Sprague S-86-JN booster is O2 compatible? I have downloaded the manual and I'm none the wiser. Just we have a chance of purchasing one but it would be a complete waste if we need to £'s to get it into O2 service. Thanks.

Supporting Member Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36 has a reputation beyond repute Dsix36's Avatar
    rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

Quote Originally Posted by MarkhamCornoit  View Original Post
    Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on a booster pump. Can anyone tell me if the Sprague S-86-JN booster is O2 compatible? I have downloaded the manual and I'm none the wiser. Just we have a chance of purchasing one but it would be a complete waste if we need to £'s to get it into O2 service. Thanks.
    Technically from the company, the answer is no. An o2 compatable high ppressure seal is not available. Thus no way to make it completely O2 clean and compatable.

I do boost O2 with mine. I boost to 3300 and very slowly to keep the tempoerature of the booster and tank down.
    I guarantee that if you CLICK HERE you will not have your view blocked by clothing

RBW Member Minke is an unknown quantity at this point Minke's Avatar

Its an old thread but its new too mee

Just got a hold of one off these boosters and i got it up and running.
    I noticed that when i feed the booster with air thru the inlet, the air is seeping thru the exhaust vent.... This is without the drive gas attatched!
    Guess there is a leak somewhere but where should i look?

The booster is a S 86 JN 30/30

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

High pressure seal is leaking internally and going to the back side of the large drive piston (also the exhaust route)

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk

Is that the seal on the big piston or on the small pistons I need to replace?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down to no good kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter has a reputation beyond repute kwinter's Avatar
    JJ, Flex

rEvo III, Optima, GEM

As long as you're going through the hassle of taking it apart to replace the HP seal, I recommend doing a full service. You can get the kits O2 clean except for the seal as Don mentioned.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Dsix36  View Original Post
    Just remember that listening to an idiot such as myself may very well get your arse dead.

Well Im Not gonna throw it in the can because of a brocken seal
    Can you recommend a dealer for parts? Or maybe a scematic for partslist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rEvo

Defender Optima Dolphin

You can download the entire owner / service manual on their website.

Sent from my E500A using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast