+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Diving with Pacemaker

New Member Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell has a reputation beyond repute Simon Mitchell's Avatar

Re: Diving with Pacemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyduck  View Original Post
    Simon,
    if the Google map is right, then its Egypt.
    Thank goodness my diving medicine is better than my geography.

Simon M

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

Fly me to the Red Sea and I'll gladly be your personal cardiologist !!! :)

Still Learning Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose is a glorious beacon of light Tom Rose's Avatar

You might not have to go to the Red Sea....

I was outfitted with a Boston Scientific unit (t1 75) in January that combines a Pacemaker and Defib unit. It is currently only certified to 15 feet...testing is under way for deeper depth.

I have been in constant contact with Boston and should know in a couple of weeks if it will work deeper. Summer is coming up, our water warms up enough for comfortable diving in early July...I'm itching to get out of the shallows but if necessary, will dive shore wrecks this summer.

All of the information so far has been interesting, and I have been following it closely.

Yours for safe diving.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rose  View Original Post
    I was outfitted with a Boston Scientific unit (t1 75) in January that combines a Pacemaker and Defib unit.
    If this is an ICD you are talking about, then you shouldn't be diving!

What happens if you suffer an arrythmia underwater where the device (defib) actually fires?

What if you pass out due to an arrythmia and the device doen't fire due to increased pressure acting on it?

Markku Diedrich Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure is a glorious beacon of light Fun Under Pressure's Avatar
    Megalodon Apeks 2.5

Classic Inspiration

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_badger  View Original Post
    If this is an ICD you are talking about, then you shouldn't be diving!

What happens if you suffer an arrythmia underwater where the device (defib) actually fires?

What if you pass out due to an arrythmia and the device doen't fire due to increased pressure acting on it?
    Or have your dive buddy on your hand...??

Curmudgeon babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar is a jewel in the rough babar's Avatar

The question really is why the AICD? If for Vtach/Vfib then yes he may be at risk. But Hell, it is his heart, I think he knows the risks, let him do what he loves.

RBW Member pdenoble is an unknown quantity at this point pdenoble's Avatar

Subjectswanted for a research study

Investigationof diving experience of divers with implanted cardiac devices

Divers Alert Network (DAN) is conducting a research studyabout divers with an implanted pacemaker or defibrillator who are choosing todive with or without medical clearance. The study consists of an on-line surveywhich takes about 10 minutes to complete and possible follow-up interview ifadditional clarifications are needed.

If this pertains to you, please contact DAN Research (919-684-2948or research@dan.org).Participants will not be compensatedfor participation.

IRB# 017-13 Expirydate: 6/05/2014

RBW Member Majete is an unknown quantity at this point Majete's Avatar

Hello. I have a pacemaker implanted one year ago. I told the dr that I am a diver and put me one go fine 5atm. (tested in laboratory). But i had difficulties for medical clearence because combination pacemaker-patient is unknow. Since I have 130 dives. aprox.
    Have now dropped -35 meters at the moment and I feel perfectly. I want to reach the -40 meters. No more. The deep dive is over for me.
    Id like to know if somebody go deeper than -35mt.
    My pacemaker model is "altrua 60" Boston Scientific. It´s not a desfibrilator.
    I hope you understand my English.

debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole is a splendid one to behold debersole's Avatar
    KISS Spirit & JJ-CCR

Kiss Classic & Sport, Kiss GEM

DAN may be able to provide you some data or connect you to some other divers with pacemakers. Dr. Denoble is doing a study on diving with implantable cardiac devices. You can reach him at pdenoble@dan.org

Doug

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast