+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A rebreather trip report by association.

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

A rebreather trip report by association.

10th June ďWe didnít see a yellow blob, so we didnít rescue youĒ.

£140 lighter in the wallet department for the gas and itís off to collect Dave S from near Bedford and head off to Dartmouth for a couple of days diving. Phil at Mikeís of Rugby had let slip that there was a trip to do the Medina and Murree a few months before and I snapped up the last two places. I had initially approached Caroline and Serena to dive with me. They found better things to do [a trip to Italy] so I then tried Steve The Elbow who had to work. Dave S was available and complained about being last on the list.

The trip to Dartmouth was pleasantly uneventful and the lady in the B&B told us where to park for the night. That done we hit the Windjammer for a feast and beer while waiting for the others. As Phil couldnít leave Rugby until 1700 ish we were able to scoff in comfort until he arrived with Flossie. A quiet drink was enjoyed until it was time to retire.

Dave S relives his Playgirl pose of 1965.

The 10th started early for me. I get up early for work during the week and I was awake and doing a spreadsheet for Dave by 0600. After a light breakfast and doping myself up to the eyes on Stugeron we hauled our kit to the pontoon to await Ian the skipper of the Samuel Irvine 3rd on the pontoon. The rebreather divers [Dave, Phil and Ken] hauled their 3L tanks onto the boat as Flossie and I lugged twinsets and stages onboard.

The day was sunny with no wind and the sea was flatter than most inland dive sites as we set off for an hours haul to the 65m [seabed] first world war wreck of the Medina. The tide was still running when we arrived, so we had another half our laze in the sun until it slowed and we could get in. Once we were off David and I were first in and had a swim against the surface current to the shot.

A quick pause at 6m and off we go to the wreck. We descend quickly as I am on open circuit and every minute counts on the way down. I had planned for a 23 min at 55m dive on 19/32 with deco on 40 and 80%. The rope started to curve at 40m, so the wreck must be near. Passing 40m the torch is turned on as itís getting dark. At 55m I slam on the brakes-no wreck. Dave asks where it is. I signal for him to drop for a look, and he gets to 63m and finds a wreckage field. While he is looking around Flossie drops past me. The way she is going she should have a white headband with the rising sun on it and be shouting ĎTora tora toraí. I tried to signal that I was as deep as I was going, but she just flashed the OK and plummeted past.

Red Dog Leader looking for an excuse not to dive with me.

Popping back up Dave signals to swim into the current at 55m and see if we can find anything. In theory the deck is at 50m, so we should have found something, but itís just blue with snot in the water. At 9 Ĺ minutes we decide to cut our losses and I go on to the 10 min abort deco plan and we head up. Dave blobs up at 30m, and I follow at 20m.

Phil gets naked as Ian tells him that itís his turn in the barrel.

As we hit the surface we see Flossie is already back on the boat. She had it 65m and seen some wreckage before calling it a day and heading up. Phil and Ken see some of the wreck, but not as much as we had all hoped.

Ian broke out the hot drinks and we had a relax in the sun on the way back into port. Ian booking a table for us in a Thai restaurant that evening, and we pop into the Dolphin for a drink. A young lady slightly the worse for wear comes out of the pub, and on seeing the diving exam next to Ken stops for a chat. Much to Phil and my amusement Ken is doing a Ďdeer in the headlightsí impression and we have a laugh at his expense. Ken runs off after Phil and I leave him to his fate and he asks us why we didnít rescue him. No yellow blob means you are OK, and we saw no yellow blob, so we left him to it. I ask Ken what colour the young ladies eyes were, but he didnít know as he spent the entire conversation looking down her cleavage.

Three YBODís, two twinsets and a partridge in a pear tree.

In the restaurant that evening the tale of Kenís woe was related, and Ianís other half trumped it with the tale of how she met Ian on his honeymoon. Lots of good food was enjoyed and we headed off to the B&B for a kip, hoping tomorrows dive would be better.

Dive data:

56.4m
    40min

Explorers Exodus Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing's Avatar
    rEvo-II

Re: A rebreather trip report by association.

Nice read - keep 'em coming.

Nicolai

Moderator ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami has much to be proud of ScubaDadMiami's Avatar

At least you didn't spend a bunch on OC helium.

RBW Member CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT's Avatar

Where was the Medina then?

Did Ian fail to shot it, was the shot pulled off the wreck?

Did you do the Murree the next day?

I am in suspense, please tell us more

Charlie

Custom Title Allowed! Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef has a brilliant future Freef's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT  View Original Post
    Did Ian fail to shot it, was the shot pulled off the wreck?
    From the descrition the others gave it may have been pulled off the main wreck. Although the tides were neep, we didn't really get any slack on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieT  View Original Post
    Did you do the Murree the next day?

I am in suspense, please tell us more
    http://www.rebreatherworld.com/showthread.php?t=12474

+ Reply to Thread