+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Butt heavy" Rebreather Trim- stupid suggestion?

All IMVHO obviously... Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field has a reputation beyond repute Ben Field's Avatar
    NVMCCR Inspiration

Classic KISS, Sport KISS

"Butt heavy" Rebreather Trim- stupid suggestion?

Okay, this is a random thought thats crossed my mind...please comment/laugh as necessary.

Many rebreathers seem to be heavier at the bottom resulting in the butt heavy trim and back pain to which divers normally counter by adding weight at the top.

However many of the RB divers I've met have more than enough ballast anyway so this additional lead is otherwise uneccesary.

If this is the case- Why not make the bottom end of the rebreather lighter/more buoyant instead?
    (Obviously it doesn't need to "float" but it could shift the trim centre higher up the unit.)

I'm imagining either a foam block or the kind of buoyancy tubes heavy camera housings use for trim... perhaps even an adjustable trim tank!

Ok, enough of the crazy talk.... obviously this is only relavent if-
    A, You have a rebreather that suffers this issue.
    B, You don't need lots of lead to achieve negative buoyancy already
    C, A small amount of additional buoyancy would not be dangerous.

If you can say Yes to all three what do you think of the idea?

regards,
    "Crazy/Not had enough sleep" BEN

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Re: "Butt heavy" Rebreather Trim- stupid suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Field  View Original Post
    ...the kind of buoyancy tubes heavy camera housings use for trim...
    Already done... ;)

I have used the (clear) OMS emergency tube to adjust trim in the past. However, just bought some really-nice (black :)) Gates positive trim tubes for their cameras.

Of course, in the Summer here, I dive with skin or 3mm when shallow so don't want to lift extra trim weight unneccessary as the rig is already enough to sink.

Life starts at 100 rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo is a glorious beacon of light rogeringebo's Avatar
    Pelagian DCCCR

Classic KISS, Megalodon

Try to dive with valves/1st stages up.
    Makes a huge differens for me....
    I also changed from Jetfins to OMS Slipstream fins...look the same and feel the same but are neutrally boyant.
    Good luck!
    Rodge

RBW Member decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie has a reputation beyond repute decoweenie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rogeringebo  View Original Post
    Try to dive with valves/1st stages up.
    I do that for the KISS units, but not enough room with the APD-style straight-valve for the Meg or TF.

And I have too many of tanks with APD valve to change them all.

The best thing about the Meg is its natural trim tendency is very nice even with the tanks down.

RBW Member nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh has much to be proud of nigelh's Avatar

Oh to have a problem like that...

Always diving dry, and being averse to the cold, in the UK I have lots of lead so the seperate suit inflate bottle, the old lead acid torch and steel bailout stages earn their keep. I still have spare for 2.7Kgs in the Inspiration top pocket and another 2Kg shot bag thrown on top of the scrubber to trim level so stops are motionless. (I hate chasing buddies who fin on stops.)

I confess I resent the lead. It doesn't seem to be paying for its passage so to speak. It was the one thing that disapointed me switching to the CCR from a 300bar twinset. Going back to all that lead.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelh  View Original Post

Oh to have a problem like that...
    ... but you don't have to lug all the dive gear in 40-50C sun either... ;)

In the dead-Summer, the water is so warm that if you turn your back while the boat is moving and got splashed, you would have thought someone just pe*d on your back... :p

Quote Originally Posted by decoweenie  View Original Post

In the dead-Summer, the water is so warm that if you turn your back while the boat is moving and got splashed, you would have thought someone just pe*d on your back... :p
    I'm curious to know how you would know what that feels like...on second thought, I don't want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by trob09  View Original Post
    I'm curious to know how you would know what that feels like...
    There was this one time in Bangkok...

RBW Member CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT is a glorious beacon of light CharlieT's Avatar

Listen, if you want to be banned, you'll have to be bolder than this :D

I know you secretly envy DrMike

Charlie

Closed Account onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime is a splendid one to behold onetime's Avatar

There was this one time in Bangkok...
    Just to be clear, I've never been to Bangkok. :)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast