It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section General Rebreather Diving

Old 2nd January 2007, 18:32   #1
brad james

brad james is an unknown quantity at this point
new to rebreather

New to rebreather

HI there, can some one help me out as to how I might go about buying a closed circuit rebreather, Thing is I am in south Africa and the prices of rebreather setup is rather high. How would I be able to buy and bring in to south Africa a reasonably priced set up.

What price am I looking at ?

It seems the technology is still new in South africa.

Brad
(Offline)

Old 2nd January 2007, 18:39   #2
EBT
Nekton

Classic Kiss
Sports kiss, dolphin
EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute
Re: new to rebreather

Brad,

give these guys a yell; IANTD Southern Africa

They can probably inform you best about the local situation......

/Z
(Offline)

Old 2nd January 2007, 18:41   #3
LakeLover
RBW Member

LakeLover will become famous soon enough LakeLover will become famous soon enough LakeLover will become famous soon enough

Megalodon! If you want an ECCR, that is. About 8,200 USD.

Inspiration Classic can be had for around 6,000 USD, and the Evolution and Inspiration with Vision electronics are about 10,000 USD.

The Prizm is also a very popular model, around 8,000 USD.

It all depends if you want an electronically controlled RB (ECCR), or a Manually controlled one, (MCCR). The above three are probably the most widely used models. The Inspiration and Evolution have outsold all other models combined, but this alone should not be your deciding factor.

Are there any facilities in your area where you can try out the different models?

You can also fly to Washingston State and get trained on the Megalodon by the designer and builder himself.

Go to the forum designated for each model and ask people that own and dive the models what they think.

Hapy Diving!
(Offline)

Old 2nd January 2007, 20:26   #4
Moray Brown
RBW Member

Cave Meg
Sentinel, Evolution
Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about Moray Brown has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Moray Brown

Hi go through Dave Kitchener TDI Country Manager (SA). he has links over here with a good friend of mine who often visits SA

Quote: (Originally Posted by brad james) View Original Post
New to rebreather

HI there, can some one help me out as to how I might go about buying a closed circuit rebreather, Thing is I am in south Africa and the prices of rebreather setup is rather high. How would I be able to buy and bring in to south Africa a reasonably priced set up.

What price am I looking at ?

It seems the technology is still new in South africa.

Brad
(Offline)

Old 3rd January 2007, 13:18   #5
EBT
Nekton

Classic Kiss
Sports kiss, dolphin
EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute EBT has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest a large part of the decision criteria should revolve around unit issues/repair.

ie what sort of issues are keeping people out of the water, how often do they happen and how would you go about fixing them.

Some brands have a less than stellar support reputation, do plenty of reading and bear in mind the location of people when they offer advice.... everyones biased in some way :)
(Offline)