It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World RBW Members General Section Q&A: General Member Questions

Old 14th December 2013, 09:21   #1
RedSeaDiver
plays with fire

modified Poseidon Discovery
RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light
Largest diameter one way flapper valves?

For an application totally unrelated to diving I need some large diameter one way valves like we use in our rebreathers. I need to obtain them with the frames that they attach to - these need to be round in outer shape as they need to be fitted inside pvc plumbing pipe that will have air at around ambient pressure passing through it (the valves are to ensure that air only passes one way along the pipe - air will be drawn through the pipe and past the valve under very slight negative pressure).

Can anyone suggest which are the largest valves that might be suitable as above?
(Offline)

Old 14th December 2013, 12:46   #2
tmccar1
Capt/ Instructor

rEvoIII Micro FT RMS
PRISM 1 (ret.), Oreck XL
tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough tmccar1 is a jewel in the rough
Largest diameter one way flapper valves?

Would this work? http://www.batticdoor.com/bathfandraftblocker.html

Or these... http://m.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow...BDD7/202191778
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2013, 04:10   #3
RedSeaDiver
plays with fire

RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Largest diameter one way flapper valves?

Thanks for those links - I've had a good look at them but I don't think that either of them will quite do the job that I need in this application - the big advantage of using CCR mushroom valves is that they require very minimal negative airflow to open them, but their natural position when there is no airflow is closed.
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2013, 07:18   #4
Mark Chase
So many CCR So little etc

JJ Hybrid
Inspo, Hammer Head, KISS rEvo
Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute Mark Chase has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by RedSeaDiver) View Original Post
Thanks for those links - I've had a good look at them but I don't think that either of them will quite do the job that I need in this application - the big advantage of using CCR mushroom valves is that they require very minimal negative airflow to open them, but their natural position when there is no airflow is closed.
Can you mount the valve verticly? In which case a butterfly valve would work and they are used on most air extractor fior cooker extraction. (150mm minimum dia)

Really we'd need to better understand the application for the valve.

ATB

Mark
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2013, 09:10   #5
RedSeaDiver
plays with fire

Quote: (Originally Posted by Mark Chase) View Original Post
Can you mount the valve verticly? In which case a butterfly valve would work and they are used on most air extractor fior cooker extraction. (150mm minimum dia)

Really we'd need to better understand the application for the valve.
The valve can be mounted vertically.

The application is to control air going into a room that is under very slight negative pressure - the air in the room will be considered to be contaminated so the valves are to stop the backflow of contaminated air should negative pressure be lost in the room. The negative pressure will be only very slight which is why I thought of CCR mushroom valves as they will open much easier under the very slight negative pressure than a valve made out of heavier metal etc.
(Offline)

Old 15th December 2013, 18:07   #6
Marc T
hell is in the details

JOKI/rEVO/HOME MADE
EDO04 Ray
Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice Marc T is just really nice

The valve can be mounted vertically.

The application is to control air going into a room that is under very slight negative pressure - the air in the room will be considered to be contaminated so the valves are to stop the backflow of contaminated air should negative pressure be lost in the room. The negative pressure will be only very slight which is why I thought of CCR mushroom valves as they will open much easier under the very slight negative pressure than a valve made out of heavier metal etc.
There is no real big diffêrence in diameter between CCR regarding the volume of a room so what about using several in parallel
(Offline)

Old 16th December 2013, 00:03   #7
RedSeaDiver
plays with fire

The plan is to use several in parallel, however I want to keep the number down to the minimum possible which is why I'm looking for the largest diameter
(Offline)

Old 16th December 2013, 16:00   #8
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

The plan is to use several in parallel, however I want to keep the number down to the minimum possible which is why I'm looking for the largest diameter
when mounted vertical, you can make any diameter you want: it all depends on how the valve is supported
just imagine a stainless steel mesh, and take a plastic foil, make sure it cannot move on the mesh (just put some tape on one side
it will work as a simple one way valve
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)