It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit Scooters

Old 9th June 2013, 02:31   #1
AQUANOMAD
RBW Member

rEvo FT
Inspiration, Evolution
AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point
Genesis 1500

Just pulled the trigger on a Genesis 1500. Lots of hours pondering and researching before spending more on a DPV than I have into my truck! Im upgrading from my DiveXtras Cuda 550 that has been a great scooter but was falling way short on run time. Im doing a fair bit of exploration in Hawaii along some remote stretches and with my amazing rEvo FT RMS I wanted something that could match up. How unbelievable to be living in a time when you can throw on a compact CCR and get well over a 6 hr run time while being effortlessly pulled by a machine that will travel over 10 miles at 180ft/sec on a single charge. Plus I freakin love free diving with these and seriously think I can run even a 1500 down in a day.

So anyway I just wanted to hear from anyone out there who is diving one of these beasts. What do you like. What dont you like?
The magnetic prop was a selling point for me as Im rarely in a position to run my DPV in a fresh water bath to rinse the shaft seal. I was going a fair bit out of the way to be good about this but it was getting to be a PIA. I like things that have minimal maintenance and failure points and am usually willing to pay a premium for something Im less likely to f*#! up. Im also digging the throttle design and removal of the strikes and latches. In all honesty its just refreshing to see some new innovation happening in the market place. My only concern is charging the battery in the body. There are lots of horror stories out there about fires and exploding batteries. I read the thread here where Tobin and Jon, um, "discussed" the safety of this. Im no engineer. Just a simple diver. But Im almost positive that the battery can be charged outside of the body as well making it no more or less dangerous than any other lithium pack. And the external charging port and redundant shut off mechanisms are simply added innovations.

We all know lithium powered DPVs are super spendy. Period. But I think the 1500 was a good value when stacked against the competition. I would hope that batteries would come down in price as technology grows but it just doesnt seem to be the case.

Genesis 1500: $7550 (1200: $6850)
DiveX Fury 1150: $7635 ($7035 + $600 for the Xprop to get Tahoe Benchmark results)
Silent Submerge Magnus 2x 1776: $11,000

Apples to Apples in W/H:
Genesis 1500: $5.03/wh (1200 or 1184: $5.78/wh)
DiveX Fury: $6.63/wh
Magnus 2x: $6.19/wh

All in all seems like a fair shake for a new line with new innovations and comes in at the lowest cost per wh. Im not slamming other units. I have tried them all (brands) and they are all well made. Just stoked on the new features and to be hopefully getting mine by mid July. Im in Hawaii and Jon has carriers to get them on the island.

Now I just need a way to justify the purchase to my girlfriend.

Last edited by AQUANOMAD; 9th June 2013 at 02:36..
(Offline)

Old 9th June 2013, 02:38   #2
Garth
The raffle shiest-er

Hammerhead Extreme eCCR
Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice Garth is just really nice
Re: Genesis 1500

All that we require is that you come back and share your experiences and where you take this thing. I like to watch video so if you are able to spend 7 grand on a scooter that nice at least try to put a goPro on the front of it.

Congrats brah, be safe and have fun! I know I will spend a wad on a scooter one day.

Garth
(Offline)

Old 9th June 2013, 02:51   #3
AQUANOMAD
RBW Member

rEvo FT
Inspiration, Evolution
AQUANOMAD is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh. The videos will come the day after it arrives. I have a Hero3 but more importantly housed a Mkiii in an Aquatica housing last year. One of the best purchases I have ever made. I need to decide on a swivel mount. The ones on the market seem a bit ridiculous for what they are.
Im exploring some untouched stretches and looking for lava tubes, deep water coral, and filming lava erupting underwater.
Its kind of funny. I get a lot of guys here in Hawaii that think Im nuts for what I have into my gear. Tell someone you spent $7500 on a devise that drags you around under water and you have to watch your feet to not get vomit on them. They dont realize they spent more on their new Tacoma then I did on a rEvo, mkiii, and Genesis 1500. I guess its all about whats important to each of us.

Last edited by AQUANOMAD; 9th June 2013 at 02:53..
(Offline)

Old 9th June 2013, 07:34   #4
DwayneJ
Dark, cold and wet.

rEvo III Mini rMS
rEvo III Standard hCCR
DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light DwayneJ is a glorious beacon of light

I'm certainly happy with my 600. Just rocks!
(Offline)