It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit Compressors, Blending / Mixing and Booster Pumps

Old 2nd March 2013, 19:04   #1
Jeff Pack
RBW Member

Meg
KISS GEM
Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough
Newbie booster question(s)

I just got a Haskel AGD-75 and cant get it to boost past 3300psi.

I'm using an Ingersol Rand 2 stage compressor, and output of 150-180 psi for drive gas, and that booster sucks the air out of that 80 gallon tank like there's no tomorrow.

I understand the final pressure is a result of drive gas, supply gas, and final output pressure, but the previous owner said he only drove the booster with 40-80psi, which make no sense to me, as the AGD is 25:1 so @80psi canonly get to 2000psi, 150psi I should be able to get to 3500.

But the drive gas usage is way beyond my big compressor (2 stage, 80g tank)
commercial unit, not a home unit. If I get back up to 180psi, fire up the booster, and inside of a few minutes, my tank is drained below 100psi on the compressor.

So what am I missing here?
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 19:50   #2
PeterVICEG
RBW Member

Meg
PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Newbie booster question(s)

Quote: (Originally Posted by Jeff Pack) View Original Post
I just got a Haskel AGD-75 and cant get it to boost past 3300psi.

I'm using an Ingersol Rand 2 stage compressor, and output of 150-180 psi for drive gas, and that booster sucks the air out of that 80 gallon tank like there's no tomorrow.

I understand the final pressure is a result of drive gas, supply gas, and final output pressure, but the previous owner said he only drove the booster with 40-80psi, which make no sense to me, as the AGD is 25:1 so @80psi canonly get to 2000psi, 150psi I should be able to get to 3500.

But the drive gas usage is way beyond my big compressor (2 stage, 80g tank)
commercial unit, not a home unit. If I get back up to 180psi, fire up the booster, and inside of a few minutes, my tank is drained below 100psi on the compressor.

So what am I missing here?
Same here. I just hooked up a HI 5G 14/50 to a large two stage compressor that is set to run from 130 psi to 180 psi. My large compressor no where near keeps up. I have to stop it and wait to top up high pressure tanks.

Peter
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 19:59   #3
Jeff Pack
RBW Member

Meg
KISS GEM
Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough Jeff Pack will become famous soon enough

I've waited, then top again, and get maybe another 20psi, it'll take hours to get from 3300-3500.
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 20:07   #4
cool_hardware52
Tobin George

cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold

I've waited, then top again, and get maybe another 20psi, it'll take hours to get from 3300-3500.
Are you boosting from a supply bottle? If so keep in mind that as the supply pressure drops and the outlet pressure rises the gas moved per cycle drops.

Getting that last bit of He @ less than ~200 psi and cramming it into a cylinder at ~4K takes a lot of drive gas even with a 15/30.

I have 20 hp of shop air and I can get ahead of that if I'm topping my banks at ~6500.

Cascade boosting is one workaround, stuff all your low pressure He into some other tank. Boosting from ~200 or less up to say 600+ psi and then use the 600-800 psi tank to boost into your HP dive bottle.

I also like to bank lots of Nitrox so I can fill with He first and transfill or boost Nitrox on top of the He.

Tobin
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 20:27   #5
PeterVICEG
RBW Member

Meg
PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light

Last night I waited 5 or 6 min for the compressor to catch up and then pumped from a supply at 900 psi to 3600 in maybe 5 min. I have yet to suck dry He or O2 tank. I expect that to be different.

Peter
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 20:38   #6
Jeff Pack
RBW Member

Meg
KISS GEM

Repeat after me...

*I am such an idiot*

10 times, really fast.

I hooked up to wrong O2 bottle, which wasnt full, and is for CB only.(250psi left)

I'll try again later with a full O2 bottle.

Now I gotta get my Meg put together for class thursday.

Note to self, I do now have a pressure gauge on the inlet side for supply gas. I didnt when putting this all together..

*sigh*

Note: I do now!

Last edited by Jeff Pack; 2nd March 2013 at 20:40..
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 20:46   #7
donlabbruzzo
RBW Member

donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough donlabbruzzo will become famous soon enough

Once the source gas is below 500 psi and the fill pressure is about 2,500psi, your single stage Haskel driven by a smaller LP compressor will take a very long time to fill to 3,000psi.

The best option is to save the K-bottles with 500 psi (O2 or He) for new fills when you can equalize at low pressures and/or use these low pressure source tanks to fill only when you fill pressure tanks are under 1,000psi.

I have a Haskel 15/30 and drive it with 15hp, 150psi, 2 stage, 50 cfm compressor, and it can't quite keep up once the source gas is low and the fill pressure are high.

Don
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 21:25   #8
cool_hardware52
Tobin George

cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold cool_hardware52 is a splendid one to behold

Repeat after me...

*I am such an idiot*

10 times, really fast.

I hooked up to wrong O2 bottle, which wasnt full, and is for CB only.(250psi left)

I'll try again later with a full O2 bottle.

Note to self, I do now have a pressure gauge on the inlet side for supply gas. I didnt when putting this all together..

*sigh*

I know those Rebreather's are hanger queens, but 5 days to assemble one? :) Ouch.

On a side note, boosting O2 much above ~3300 is not something I like doing....

Tobin
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 22:55   #9
PeterVICEG
RBW Member

Meg

Repeat after me...

*I am such an idiot

*sigh*

Keep it down Jeff! Those pesty rEvo people are insuferable as it is with out you giving them more ammo.

Gauges are cheap. I have one on each of my two O2 and one He supply tanks. More gauges at the booster checking supply pressure and output from the reg I use to regulate input and yet another at the reg and filters on the drive gas supply line.

I do not boost O2 over 3000 and see no reason to.

Peter
(Offline)

Old 2nd March 2013, 23:36   #10
Jeff Pack
RBW Member

Meg
KISS GEM

Why no boosting over 3k? (my tanks are 3550)
(Offline)