It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers Other Other CCR Rebreathers Poseidon CIS Lunar Mk VI Rebreather

Old 19th November 2012, 17:21   #1
Diveratt
RBW Member

Poseidon mk6
Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road
Traveling with a Disco

Whats the best way to travel with a Disco head unit?
Is it better to take the O2 sensors out of the head unit and carry them in hand luggage or leave them in the unit and let them travel in the hold. I do have a Peli case for the unit so it will be well protected.

I am planning to put the battery in the my hand luggage but thinking about taking the sensors out of the head unit carry them in hand luggage or it is it best just to leave them?
(Offline)

Old 19th November 2012, 19:41   #2
Jeppe_E
When In Doubt - Bail Out

Poseidon 7 - 60M Tec
Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Traveling with a Disco

I would just carry the complete head, wrapped in foam or something in my hand luggage. Both battery and the cells are well protected when attached. I would pack the hoses inside the canister and pack that in the check in luggage.
(Offline)

Old 22nd November 2012, 03:39   #3
Drmike
retired

Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute Drmike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by Jeppe_E) View Original Post
I would just carry the complete head, wrapped in foam or something in my hand luggage. Both battery and the cells are well protected when attached. I would pack the hoses inside the canister and pack that in the check in luggage.
have you ever 'packed the hoses inside the canister and pack that in the check in luggage'?

have you ever flown anywhere with your disco?

how many times

just wondering
(Offline)

Old 22nd November 2012, 16:22   #4
Submis
RBW Member

Poseidon MKVI, Ray
Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by Drmike) View Original Post
have you ever 'packed the hoses inside the canister and pack that in the check in luggage'?

how many times

just wondering
So how do you pack your MKVI - any usefull information? or just personal BS again?
(Offline)

Old 22nd November 2012, 16:22   #5
Capt.garry
RBW Member

AP Vision,MKVI
Meg,SF2
Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about Capt.garry has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via Skype™ to Capt.garry

Quote: (Originally Posted by Drmike) View Original Post

how many times

just wondering

Once again starting your personal inquiries!

I guess the question should be HAVE YOU???

If so please advise how you pack and travel with your Disco

Dr. Mike if you have something to add to the conversation that helps then by all means contribute, but if not .
(Offline)

Old 22nd November 2012, 20:10   #6
Jeppe_E
When In Doubt - Bail Out

Poseidon 7 - 60M Tec
Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light Jeppe_E is a glorious beacon of light

I thought the wording "I Would" meant something like "This is what I would do" as opposed to "I have".. But maybe I am not just skilled enough in the English language... I dont know. Oh, and by the way, dont take my advice seriously, I have only 41hours on the unit. So this means that I can't pack it for a travel, hell, It might even mean that I cant even put it properly on my back when I go diving...
(Offline)

Old 23rd November 2012, 10:36   #7
Mike Ward
RBW Member

Poseidon Mark VI
Mike Ward is an unknown quantity at this point

I carried the head, battery and charger in my hand luggage, the rest in a hard suitcase.

Fully packed with a week's clothes, bailout reg and rigging kit, wetsuit, mask, torch, etc., the suitcase came in just under 23kg.

Cylinders were hired and lime bought locally, I use a repack scrubber.

Last edited by Mike Ward; 23rd November 2012 at 10:40..
(Offline)

Old 23rd November 2012, 10:45   #8
RedSeaDiver
plays with fire

modified Poseidon Discovery
RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light RedSeaDiver is a glorious beacon of light

I do travel with mine a lot, I use a plastic crate with a solid lid, and I just leave the head attached to the unit, the wing goes in the bottom and acts as padding, can goes in next, T's and other loose bits in the can, loop hoses and counterlungs beside the can, first stages at one end, spares kit + battery likewise, wetsuit and vest on top. Close the lid and cable tie it shut. It's done about 8 overseas trips now without a problem.
(Offline)

Old 29th November 2012, 12:38   #9
Diveratt
RBW Member

Poseidon mk6
Diveratt is on a distinguished road Diveratt is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input Folks,

I had a trial pack the other day, I think I'm going to leave the sensors in but take a couple of spares in my hand luggage as well. All up the Disco Peli case and my umbilical torch is 21kg the Peli is abut 8 kgs of the but it's well protected.
(Offline)

Old 29th November 2012, 13:05   #10
Nitrogenius
Jst anothr Breather Diver

Inspo classic w/ HH lid
Dolphin as is :)
Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold Nitrogenius is a splendid one to behold

Never travelled with a Disco..
but travelled many times with my Inspo..
Quite a PITA due to the overall weight which is not the only reason why I till find the Disco quite interesting..

So to give some hints coming from the Inspo..
I always take the complete electronics in the hand luggage for two reasons:

-potential damage (can be mitigated by the right crate and padding)
-loss coverage (airlines are limited in their liability towards "lost" luggage)

Due to the last bit I also take diving computers, regs etc. anything that is smallish and expensive in my carry on.
The liability limit varies from something like 800-1500 EUR..
Already quite exceeded with the regular dive gear.. so electronics etc. simply outburst the risk.
It is possible to extra ensure it with some airlines.. (bloody expensive though) or to get a seperate insurance (not cheap but mainly reasonable)
Here you have to read all the fineprint though.. a lot of the standard "vacation baggage" insurance exclude times where someone else was responsible for the luaggage but you (e.g. airlines, hotel boys, etc.)
A friend of me was f***ed in that way.. Thinking he had a good insurance..
His regs were stolen from his bag.. insurance didn't pay as handling was the airlines resp. .. airline did only pay to the cap...

Apart from all that if you want to place your electronics in the cargo hold.. I most certaintly advise you to remove the oxygen sensors.. The cargo hold is pressurized significantly lower than the cabin and you might end up ruining your cells from that low ambient pressure..

All the best,
Frank
(Offline)