It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers rEvo Rebreathers rEvo Rebreather

Old 24th September 2012, 14:25   #1
rchrds
BioPak60 Deathbox!

BP-60, Revo Mod1
rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough
Dives report, or how glad I am I changed to a shearwater HUD.

First, let me say that I spend a lot of time in the water. Most of my rebreather dives are in the 4-8 hour range at the shortest, most of which I spend scootering to or from the work site, and then surveying in the back of the cave. My revo is fully manual, and came with a single dream. I was never really happy with the dream display hanging off the box, particularly as I had not yet had a predator failure that forced me to look at it. I was also not really happy with the way the dream HUD provided information, it was just too general, it only displayed in a range, meaning that I still had to look at my handset for information, which can get annoying during a two hour scooter commute, and you can't see your handset over your bov and still be in a streamlined position.

A couple of weeks ago, my dream HUD quit working, so I saw this as an opportunity to change out to a shearwater HUD. The swap was easy, maybe 20 minutes in the shop, and the cables are plenty long enough to put the HUD controller box on the revo frame below the carry bar, instead of on the hoses, as they show in their manual. The shearwater didn't come with a manual in the box, which I thought was sort of annoying, but once I figured out how to turn it on (one touch) and calibrate (3 touches in one second) I was already starting to feel better about not having to do the familiar tapping/watching routine.

The shearwater is dead simple to understand, it blinks one time for each point above or below 1.0 either red or green. After a while you don't see the number of blinks, just how long the series lasts. I found that within minutes, I no longer had to look at my handset, the HUD actually gave me the information that I needed, and if I really wanted I could concentrate on the number of blinks and get the same detailed information my handset would give me. I was amazed at how fast the transition happened from handset to HUD centric information gathering.

My only downside was that the LEDs were a little too bright, but that was easily remedied by turning them away from my face, so they were not shining directly into my eyes.

All in all, two thumbs up for the shearwater HUD swap on the revo.

Anyone need a newly overhauled dream?
(Offline)

Old 24th September 2012, 15:16   #2
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dives report, or how glad I am I changed to a shearwater HUD.

Quote: (Originally Posted by rchrds) View Original Post
First, let me say that I spend a lot of time in the water. Most of my rebreather dives are in the 4-8 hour range at the shortest, most of which I spend scootering to or from the work site, and then surveying in the back of the cave. My revo is fully manual, and came with a single dream. I was never really happy with the dream display hanging off the box, particularly as I had not yet had a predator failure that forced me to look at it. I was also not really happy with the way the dream HUD provided information, it was just too general, it only displayed in a range, meaning that I still had to look at my handset for information, which can get annoying during a two hour scooter commute, and you can't see your handset over your bov and still be in a streamlined position.

A couple of weeks ago, my dream HUD quit working, so I saw this as an opportunity to change out to a shearwater HUD. The swap was easy, maybe 20 minutes in the shop, and the cables are plenty long enough to put the HUD controller box on the revo frame below the carry bar, instead of on the hoses, as they show in their manual. The shearwater didn't come with a manual in the box, which I thought was sort of annoying, but once I figured out how to turn it on (one touch) and calibrate (3 touches in one second) I was already starting to feel better about not having to do the familiar tapping/watching routine.

The shearwater is dead simple to understand, it blinks one time for each point above or below 1.0 either red or green. After a while you don't see the number of blinks, just how long the series lasts. I found that within minutes, I no longer had to look at my handset, the HUD actually gave me the information that I needed, and if I really wanted I could concentrate on the number of blinks and get the same detailed information my handset would give me. I was amazed at how fast the transition happened from handset to HUD centric information gathering.

My only downside was that the LEDs were a little too bright, but that was easily remedied by turning them away from my face, so they were not shining directly into my eyes.

All in all, two thumbs up for the shearwater HUD swap on the revo.

Anyone need a newly overhauled dream?
hi Rchrds, (?? we have 8 Richards clients

for those that don't know the rEvodream:

at SP 1.3 (manual or eCCR, does not matter) the rEvodream HUD displays in a total range of 0.15 PPO2 (where as the shearwater HUD displays in a total range of 0.1 PPO2)

so actually the change you now did is eliminating the 0.01 PPO2 LCD display, but still looking at a HUD that displays in a range?

and you probably removed all redundancy, by connecting the 2 systems together with a common ground?

just for everybodies understanding, this is not what rEvo recommends

Paul
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...

Last edited by paulraymaekers; 24th September 2012 at 15:18..
(Offline)

Old 24th September 2012, 15:46   #3
rezgulator
RBW Member

rEvo III HCCR
Inspiration
rezgulator is an unknown quantity at this point

Well,I'm using revo dram and never look at handset as HUD gives me all I need to know. It's just a matter of prefrence, I think!!
Cheers
Rez
(Offline)

Old 24th September 2012, 18:18   #4
jcmankat
RBW Member

rEvo 3 MICRO FT
rEvo 3 Standard HCCR, MEG 2.01
jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light jcmankat is a glorious beacon of light

@ RCH -- I use both the Dream and Shearwater HUD on my rEvo at different times. I am comfortable with both..

I'd actually keep the dream if I were you just in case you upgrade your rEVO to a RMS type, etc.. and want to sell it in the future with the dream.. Some people really like the dream... or to keep in the save a dive kit... choices i guess...

Anyway -- if you have not already, you can always add a 4th cell so the you are only sharing cells 2 and 3 with both the HUD and Predator... That way Cell 1 is only connected to the Predator, and Cell 4 is only connected to the HUD.. This will give you a bit of redundancy if you feel you need it..

Funny you mention in the cave how bright the SW can be in your right eye.. I experienced the same and have adjusted my SW HUD the same as you mentioned to eliminate that problem..

John
(Offline)

Old 24th September 2012, 21:02   #5
Packhorse
RBW Member

rEvoIII mini hCCR
RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR
Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote: (Originally Posted by paulraymaekers) View Original Post

at SP 1.3 (manual or eCCR, does not matter) the rEvodream HUD displays in a total range of 0.15 PPO2 (where as the shearwater HUD displays in a total range of 0.1 PPO2)

so actually the change you now did is eliminating the 0.01 PPO2 LCD display, but still looking at a HUD that displays in a range?

and you probably removed all redundancy, by connecting the 2 systems together with a common ground?

Paul
Hi Paul,

Can you please explain how connecting the 2 systems together with a common earth removals all redundancy?
How is this different than connecting a Predator and 2 'dream to common cells?
(Offline)

Old 25th September 2012, 01:23   #6
ChrisBrown
Mostly cold

Evo+, Pos MKVI, Sentinel
rEvo II & III Minis & Micros
ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute ChrisBrown has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisBrown Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisBrown

I absolutely loved my rEvo dream HUD, it was my favorite item on the unit. Simple traffic light style display, rugged, easy to understand.

My Evo HUD is invisible except in a cave / wreck. Poseidon HUD is just a warning light really and the sentinel HUD is great but sooooo bright it burns your retinas out in the dark LOL

Never could fathom smithers either although I know loads of people liked it
(Offline)

Old 25th September 2012, 03:16   #7
rchrds
BioPak60 Deathbox!

BP-60, Revo Mod1
rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough rchrds will become famous soon enough

Well, considering I never once unclipped the dream LED display from the case to look at the unlit display, it doesn't matter to what precision it reports, aside from the fact that after 3-4 hours most cells are barely accurate to .1 much less finer than that. Perhaps if I had a way to clip it to my arm so I could see it without unclipping or moving around, it might have been more useful, but I'm going for simple, because there are a lot of other things to do, and fiddling with an awkwardly shaped display should not be one of them.

You could hope that would be the case. Sorry.

Paul
And a stock rEVO is not what I would recommend. :) We are even!

Paul, not to come across as a complete dick (I usually do) I really do like the rEVO now, but it took a lot of working to make it capable of what I needed it to do. With the ability to buy just about any other rebreather, I still ended up going with the rEVO, and the lower profile (until i use the extended scrubbers) is very useful, and the lack of external lungs is the best on the market. And of course, I love the plastic press fit tubing idea, which I think you stole from me 10 years ago anyway. Ha. :)

Jason Richards
NSS 41539

Last edited by rchrds; 25th September 2012 at 03:25..
(Offline)

Old 25th September 2012, 09:15   #8
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

Quote: (Originally Posted by Packhorse) View Original Post
Hi Paul,

Can you please explain how connecting the 2 systems together with a common earth removals all redundancy?
How is this different than connecting a Predator and 2 'dream to common cells?
as soon as you connect 2 electronic systems to the same sensors, you loose the redundancy as the - of the senors becomes the common ground of both systems
if for whatever reason the ground starts to float, it will be in all electronic systems

shearwater + 2 dreams: you don't connect them to common sensors!
so very easy and giving the diver a clear mental picture of his configuration: 3 sensors on shearwater, 1 on dream1, 1 on dream2 (no sensor splitting at all)

so you get 3 fully independant, redundant systems

paul
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...

Last edited by paulraymaekers; 25th September 2012 at 09:19..
(Offline)

Old 25th September 2012, 09:19   #9
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo

Quote: (Originally Posted by rchrds) View Original Post
... aside from the fact that after 3-4 hours most cells are barely accurate to .1 much less finer than that.
Jason Richards
NSS 41539
hi Jason, each his own choice

only for the accuracy... good sensors are far better then that: try it: after a 3 hour dive, come to the surface, and do a full oxygen flush.. it will be very close to .99

paul

(ps: only with GOOD sensors
(Offline)

Old 25th September 2012, 13:07   #10
seasick
lEEbo lEEblEEdErs

rEvo II Micro FT mCCR
Shearwater Meg DCCCR
seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about seasick has a spectacular aura about

Paul
The solution is simple :
3 cells to the Predator
3 cells to the HUD
Total of 6 cells and 2 independent/redundent displays

I too do not like the dreams.
The SW HUD is so simple that it makes the dreams a nightmare to operate in comparision....

Best regards,
SS
(Offline)