It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers Innerspace Systems Corp. Megalodon Rebreather

Old 18th July 2011, 02:57   #1
PeterVICEG
RBW Member

Meg
PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light
Gag Strap and other kinkyness

I tried it, and kinda liked it. No not the rEvo, just the discarded Draeger gag strap.

Perhaps I should have put this in the rEvo forum, but there is probably some sort of rule against me posting there.

The local rEvo factory is putting out scores of smug (competent of course) new divers who seem to favour a long hose with the reg bungeed around the neck. The ones I know also ditched the gag strap.

So I got to try one. It fits the Meg just fine. The bite blocks beeing thicker help keep my mouth open wide and the WOB is no doubt aided. On longer dives I am more relaxed and it clearly resists disloging.

Bailing to OC is another matter. My preferance has been to push the loop up but the strap makes this problematic. Also I can't see much over my loop.

So just how do you Dolfin/rEvo/homebuilt guys do it? There is a lot of talk here of bail, bail, bail, whenever. I expect that this not so much the mantra for the strapped in crowd. Curious though.

Peter
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 04:24   #2
wedivebc
Dave Tomblin

Hollis Prism 2, Megalodon
CCR Instructor Trainer
wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute wedivebc has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gag Strap and other kinkyness

Quote: (Originally Posted by PeterVICEG) View Original Post
I tried it, and kinda liked it. No not the rEvo, just the discarded Draeger gag strap.

Perhaps I should have put this in the rEvo forum, but there is probably some sort of rule against me posting there.

The local rEvo factory is putting out scores of smug (competent of course) new divers who seem to favour a long hose with the reg bungeed around the neck. The ones I know also ditched the gag strap.

So I got to try one. It fits the Meg just fine. The bite blocks beeing thicker help keep my mouth open wide and the WOB is no doubt aided. On longer dives I am more relaxed and it clearly resists disloging.

Bailing to OC is another matter. My preferance has been to push the loop up but the strap makes this problematic. Also I can't see much over my loop.

So just how do you Dolfin/rEvo/homebuilt guys do it? There is a lot of talk here of bail, bail, bail, whenever. I expect that this not so much the mantra for the strapped in crowd. Curious though.

Peter
What problem are you trying to solve. Often when we add a gadget to address a problem, you introduce another one which sometimes is not apparent.

Dave....

www.wedivebc.com
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 05:04   #3
Jantje
RBW Member

rEvo III hCCR
Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough Jantje is a jewel in the rough

The clips of the strap are breakable. They are made like that, so that it will go gently or forced. The strap is on the topside of the back of your head, so you can slide it off and bailout. And yes, the loop can / will be over your head. Makes it a lot easier to let air escape when you go up on bailout.

But I just came out of the rEvo factory and I only dive one unit, so my post is not valid. (To get that out of the way.)
I also don't drink rum, don't have a bmi of 50, never dove the Doria (on air of course), and didn't do air dives to 100 meters in the 80's so not a candidate for the old boys club anyway.

Cheers, Jan

Last edited by Jantje; 18th July 2011 at 05:21..
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 06:44   #4
scubagrunt
CCR Diva

meg & rEvo
inspo, optima, KISS, submatix
scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light scubagrunt is a glorious beacon of light

Peter
hi peter
the long hose has nothing to do with the rEvo, i teach it to all my ccr guys (no matter the unit) as i truly believe it may save a life someday especially in the cave environment.
be safe
mel
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 09:20   #5
paulraymaekers
rEvo's daddy

rEvo
paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute paulraymaekers has a reputation beyond repute

Peter
peter, from holiday..

in an emergency you can simply pull DOWN the DSV, (after closing ), and put the OC reg in your mouth.., and then it just stays there like

you don't need to pull it over your head..

paul

ps.. dumping the gag strap is in my opinion... stupid!
but hey, who cares about my opinion
.... The noise is a few tens of nano-volts, so DL were able to reduce the output voltage ...
.... radial scrubbers give longer dwell time than axials...
.... the earth is flat and ...
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 13:22   #6
FrancoC
RBW Member

rEvo III mini
FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough FrancoC is a jewel in the rough

Quote: (Originally Posted by paulraymaekers) View Original Post
peter, from holiday..

in an emergency you can simply pull DOWN the DSV, (after closing ), and put the OC reg in your mouth.., and then it just stays there like

paul

Paul -

As I'm presently diving with a Shrimp BOV this doesn't quite apply to me but . . .
I was taught to bungee the BO reg around my neck. In an emergency, imo, it would be impossible to "pull DOWN the DSV and put the OC reg in your mouth". To make this possible, the bungee loop would have to be way too long to make it around the hose.

P.S. - I still use the gag strap with the Shrimp.

Franco
(Online)

Old 18th July 2011, 18:50   #7
colinicky
RBW Member

rEvo II Hybrid Mini Titanium
Inspiration Vision
colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all colinicky is a name known to all

Trouble is for me that if I pull the DSV upwards I take the mask with it . Personally all my regs are stowed on the cylinders untill needed,makes it easier when diving from a rhib .
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 20:01   #8
PeterVICEG
RBW Member

Meg
PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light PeterVICEG is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks Mel. I am reasonably comfy with a long hose and bungeed reg. If I am to use this with a gag strap, well maybe I will need to practice this..... go figure!

Peter

Quote: (Originally Posted by scubagrunt) View Original Post
hi peter
the long hose has nothing to do with the rEvo, i teach it to all my ccr guys (no matter the unit) as i truly believe it may save a life someday especially in the cave environment.
be safe
mel
(Offline)

Old 18th July 2011, 20:29   #9
PeterVICEG
RBW Member

Meg

Paul,

One does not need to own a rEvo to appreciate your considered and informed opinion.

At the end of a two hour dive I feel that I am more relaxed if I have used the gag strap set up. I hope to do some longer dives.

Most of the local ccr users have added a bov to their rigs. So far I can see real benifit to the simplicity of the DSV particularly when juggling a variety of tanks with gasses appropriate to different depths. Less dead air space, best wob, could it be that prevention is the best approach to CO2 avoidance?

I am taking some flack for fiddling with my rig while still so green. For me I want to settle on a setup that works well for me before I am doing any significant dives.

I am gratefull to all who share their experiences here.

Peter

Quote: (Originally Posted by paulraymaekers) View Original Post
peter, from holiday..

paul

(Offline)

Old 19th July 2011, 01:09   #10
mlaprade
RBW Member

mlaprade is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am a huge fan of the gag strap. I find it much more comfortable (especially on long hangs) to have the extra assistance holding the mouthpiece in place. I'm sure none of you had this problem (mostly because you guys aren't knuckleheads like I am), but just make sure the gag strap is on OVER your mask strap. The first time I practiced bailing out I ripped my mask off with the gag strap.

It was quite the "DOH!" moment.
(Offline)