It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories Rebreather Accessories and other dive kit

Old 4th June 2011, 12:22   #1
depth
Christian Rasmussen

depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice
MK25 vs. MK17

Hi RBW

Together wit my dive buddies, later this year we are planning for a some deep freshwater dives (100m/300ft).

For my BO cylinders I am using Scubapro MK17 with 250V 2. stages and love them. My dive buddy is considering buying new regs for his BO cylinders as the ones he uses now are causing him a little trouble lately, he is also looking in the Scubapro direction.

He is looking at a MK25/250V combo, but I am not agreeing on this as this is a piston reg. In my book this is more likely to freeze up, especially on fresh water and in a stress full situation with high RMV.

Are my worries unnecessary?

Please don't plaster this thread with other suggestions like Apeks, Mares and other brands, I am only looking for comments on the above.

Thanks

Christian
(Online)

Old 4th June 2011, 12:31   #2
depth
Christian Rasmussen

depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice
Re: MK25 vs. MK17

Some usefull info:

Bottom temperatures will be about 2c/35f
(Online)

Old 4th June 2011, 14:50   #3
com1
aka Scotty

inspiration vision
com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough com1 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to com1

In my OC times I had 7 MK25. Serviced them myself and before I had the experience to do the service myself the service was done in various diveshops. 3 of the MK25s where more or less reliable (means frozen ~1-2 times during 250 cold water dives 2-5C). With the other 4 it felt like 50/50 (freeze/ok).
After I switched all to MK16 & MK18 (MK17 & MK19) I never experienced any problems again.
Also the MK16 & MK18 (MK17 & MK19) are more easy to service.
(Offline)

Old 4th June 2011, 16:45   #4
Oxo
RBW Member

Megalodon APECS
Dolphin, Ray, Pos MK6
Oxo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Christian,

I would recommend the MK17 for cold water, they're environmetally sealed and if coupled witha great 2nd stage will work fine at 100m on BO. I am using it myself on deep dives (with an S600) and they work just fine.

The MK 25 tends to accumulate some dirt in the wet chamber, which shows when i service one used by some instructors who do over 300 dives a year. I used to have a MK20 but moved to the MK17 when it came out and so far I have no complaints at all!

PS: a good plus: they're cheaper! lol

enjoy your dives, and stay safe
Ben
(Offline)

Old 4th June 2011, 18:19   #5
sailor
RBW Member

Dolphin
Ray
sailor is on a distinguished road sailor is on a distinguished road

Hi,

i'm a big fan of MK25s and i also have a bunch of them but i only use them for warmer water as i also experienced some icing issues before on deep cold dives.
Now i only use another brand for deep cold dives.

Reiner
(Offline)

Old 4th June 2011, 19:04   #6
Chris_H
RBW Member

KISS Classic
Chris_H is an unknown quantity at this point
I've used mk25/g250v regs exclusively and have had them in 39F water and 250ft deep. I typically dive the Great Lakes and the water is always cold. I've only ever had minor free flows when switching gas that went away after feathering the valve for a few breaths. I've never had to call a dive for a regulator problem. I just had them in 280ft of cold water, but didn't use them because my CCR worked.
(Offline)

Old 4th June 2011, 20:01   #7
Submis
RBW Member

Poseidon MKVI, Ray
Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light Submis is a glorious beacon of light

My MK25 was freezing causing the 2.nd stage to flow a little bit between breaths, but this was cured by a service.
(Offline)

Old 4th June 2011, 22:12   #8
Steeeeeeve
RBW Member

Steeeeeeve is an unknown quantity at this point

Note a comment on piston regs brand not trying to derail with another brand but seems relative.

I dive poseidon xstreams and while they arnt scuba pro they ARE piston regs and i will say i have never had a problem diving in the cold UK waters so i would suggest pistons are fine for the cold.

Regards,

Steve
(Offline)

Old 4th June 2011, 22:52   #9
Packhorse
RBW Member

rEvoIII mini hCCR
RG-UMF,IDA 71,rEvo mCCR
Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light Packhorse is a glorious beacon of light

The freezing issues does not come from being piston but from being not environmentally sealed.

I have MK20/25's and I love them but if I was to buy new I'd go with 17's especially when in cold water.
(Offline)

Old 5th June 2011, 01:08   #10
Barfab
Fabio

Ouroboros
Sentinel
Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab will become famous soon enough Barfab will become famous soon enough

Quote: (Originally Posted by depth) View Original Post
Hi RBW

Together wit my dive buddies, later this year we are planning for a some deep freshwater dives (100m/300ft).

For my BO cylinders I am using Scubapro MK17 with 250V 2. stages and love them. My dive buddy is considering buying new regs for his BO cylinders as the ones he uses now are causing him a little trouble lately, he is also looking in the Scubapro direction.

He is looking at a MK25/250V combo, but I am not agreeing on this as this is a piston reg. In my book this is more likely to freeze up, especially on fresh water and in a stress full situation with high RMV.

Are my worries unnecessary?

Please don't plaster this thread with other suggestions like Apeks, Mares and other brands, I am only looking for comments on the above.

Thanks

Christian
I agree, don't like piston reg anyway.
Fabio
(Offline)