It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Dive Accidents / Incidents Rebreather Accidents / Incidents

Closed Thread

Old 27th September 2010, 05:56   #1
Tony_Q
RBW Member

Optima, Cis Lunar Mk VI
Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Tony_Q
USCG Rebreather Fatality Reports

A post in another thread made reference to availability of USCG Reports for rebreather fatalities.

Detailed below is text of email sent to USCG requesting cost and availability of Reports.

----------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Closed Circuit Rebreather diver and would like to get copies of US Coast Guard Reports which have been prepared on diver deaths or serious incidents while using closed circuit rebreather equipment.

I understand this information is avalaible for a fee under FOI.

Can you please advise by email the cost for these reports and whether the USCG will consent to my redistribution (at no charge) to other rebreather divers.

Thank you for your assistance.

Tony Quinn

------------------------------------------------------------------

Will post outcome from my enquiries.

Regards,
Tony
(Offline)

Old 27th September 2010, 13:39   #2
Subfiend
Supporting Member

Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light Subfiend is a glorious beacon of light
Re: USCG Rebreather Fatality Reports

Tony,

Here is the link to the Coast Guard FOIA page: USCG: CG-611 Management Programs and Policy Division
You probably will be referred to this procedure for making requests.

Old 27th September 2010, 15:09   #3
gsk3
RBW Member

gsk3 is on a distinguished road gsk3 is on a distinguished road

Also, my understanding is that government content is not copywritten. Therefore, you should not need their permission to redistribute. IANAL, so take with a grain of salt.
(Offline)

Old 28th September 2010, 02:04   #4
Tony_Q
RBW Member

Optima, Cis Lunar Mk VI
Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all Tony_Q is a name known to all
Send a message via Skype™ to Tony_Q

Thanks for the posts.

I have now lodged a FOIA application by email using the link provided by Subfiend.

--------------------------------------------------------------
To: COMMANDANT (CG-611)
ATTN: FOIA OFFICER

I wish to make a request under the Freedom of Information Act for copies of USCG Reports prepared on diver fatalities or serious incidents while using closed circuit rebreather diving equipment. I am a foreign (Australian) citizen who dives a closed circuit rebreather and am requesting access to these reports for non-commercial, private educational purposes.

Subject to the consent of the USCG, I would like to be able to redistribute some or all of the Reports I receive pursuant to this FOIA request to other rebreather divers. Such redistribution would be at no charge to the receiving parties.

I understand there may be a fee for this request, and I agree to pay this fee, subject to prior notification of the amount to be incurred.

Please contact me should you require further information to assist your determination on this Request.

My personal contact details are:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Regards,
Tony
(Offline)

Old 28th September 2010, 02:26   #5
DWill
Supporting Member

HammerHead
Dolphin
DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a famous RBW member that is on some CCR Coast Guard task force or something like that?

At least I heard somewhere that he said he is while trying to get to CCR that involved in a accident.
(Offline)

Old 28th September 2010, 03:07   #6
Curt Bowen
RBW Key Holder

KISS CLASSIC
Megalodon, Kiss Sport
Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute Curt Bowen has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Curt Bowen

Quote: (Originally Posted by DWill) View Original Post
Isn't there a famous RBW member that is on some CCR Coast Guard task force or something like that?

At least I heard somewhere that he said he is while trying to get to CCR that involved in a accident.
I heard something like that, but he did not get ahold of the rebreather. I would never have thought that someone would impersonate a coast guard official just to get ahold of a rebreather that was involved in an accident.

Wow. Blows my mind away.

I heard the coast guard is investigating the impersonation! I do not know what the laws are about these things, but I would not want to be in those shoes, if it is true.....
(Offline)

Old 28th September 2010, 07:54   #7
DWill
Supporting Member

HammerHead
Dolphin
DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute DWill has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if it's the person that represented himself as being from DAN in another similar "situation"?

My guess is it likely is.
(Offline)

Closed Thread