It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories BOBs and Home Builds Home Build Rebreathers

Old 31st August 2009, 11:51   #1
depth
Christian Rasmussen

depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice depth is just really nice
Gland sources

Hi All

Can anyone assist me in finding a gland supplier?

I need:

SS gland for 5mm cable and with a male PG7 Thread.

I was told that Swagelok might have them, but I was unable to find them in their cataloge. Hope you can help me out....?

Thanks

/Christian
(Offline)

Old 31st August 2009, 12:13   #2
MB
Banned

MB is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Gland sources

Swagelok does not list these as cable glands. What is done is to buy a tubing adapter and then make it work. Buy an adapter with male threads on one end and for stainless-steel tubing of the size of your cable on the other side. Then also buy the 2 ferrules for that same size fitting but in plastic. Remove the metal ferrules, add the plastic ones, and you are all set. Slide the cable thru the fitting and GENTLY tighten it. You "may" need to drill out the inside diameter of the tube adapter to allow the cable to pass thru.

Now: The fittings used by everyone on factory rigs are not stainless... they are plastic and are available with ease. They are properly called "Strain Relief Fittings" in most catalogs, not "Glands" as we commonly call them. In the USA, McMaster-Carr sells them as a part for only a few dollars. In urope there must be a similar source. They are used for all sorts of electrical uses... so try electrical catalogs. If you get stuck, send a note to Paul Raymaekers at rEvo Rebreathers, as he uses them in his rig. I even think he has the exact size you need.

Just as a note, the same company that makes the plastic ones that everyone seems to use also makes them in chrome plated brass. These are a little heavier duty, look great, and are corrosion resistant. I have one in the center section of my Mark-15 to pass a cable to my Shearwater, and it looks like Biomarine installed it at the facrory.

Best,

Dave

(Offline)

Old 31st August 2009, 16:58   #3
fireman
rEvo combat swimmer

rEvo
Orca
fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute fireman has a reputation beyond repute

You can get the metal ones from M/C also:
McMaster-Carr
half way down the page are SS metric...
Sorry here is a catalog page:
McMaster-Carr

Last edited by fireman; 31st August 2009 at 17:01..
(Offline)

Old 31st August 2009, 17:52   #4
lizardland
Acme Serpentine Lubricant

lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute lizardland has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know if they have changed their policy but McMaster Carr had stopped shipping to Europe

In the UK Rapid Electronics do a 15bar rated plastic gland. I used them on my Draeger:

Rapid Electronics - Cables & Connectors > Cables

Narked at 90 fitted some nice stainless glands on my KISS head for the Shearwater, might be worth contacting them.

Cheers,

Stuart
(Offline)

Old 31st August 2009, 18:07   #5
plazma
Just add ice & water

O2 Apocalypse
DIY, Inspiration Classic
plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all plazma is a name known to all

Quote: (Originally Posted by depth) View Original Post
Hi All

I need:

I was told that Swagelok might have them, but I was unable to find them in their cataloge. Hope you can help me out....?

Thanks

/Christian
What is your application? Does it need to hold pressure for 1atm housing or is it for a rebreather loop (ambient on both sides of the gland)?

AGRO makes the best gland I have found.
AGRO AG - Cable glands, Electric Installation, Protective conduits

Some glands presses the cable on a very short distance. It breaks the cable easily. AGRO glands seals evenly on a longer distance so it's more gentle for the cable.

But if you have ambient pressure on both sides then any gland is ok.
(Online)

Old 31st August 2009, 23:16   #6
RGMag
LAR Addict

LAR VI FGT LAR VI Clone
OMG MK4 CDV and MK4 CSC
RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough RGMag is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via ICQ to RGMag

In europe look at conrad.de and search for kabelverschraubung, these are manufactured by lapp kabel and are available in many sizes, plastic and chromed brass. I used the plastic ones in many homebuild lamp and gauge projects and never had a leak, they are rated IP68 up to 5 bars.

If you have problems ordering them just drop me a line! The shop is 5min´s from where i work...

Greetings, Magnus
(Offline)

Old 1st September 2009, 07:03   #7
Totto
Tor Aadnevik

Copis Meg Diver
Totto is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Christian,

Hope you all got back ok,
I had a great time, and a video is out soon.

I think ELFA -- Elektronikdistributör i norra Europa is a good source for glands.

Tor
(Offline)

Old 1st September 2009, 07:11   #8
jorgey
RBW Member

jorgey is on a distinguished road jorgey is on a distinguished road

Hi Christian,

For Europe I could recommend Distrelec, I have bought some from them. Conrad is also good, but Distrelec has IMHO more products. At least the guys in Austria are vey good. Fast and reliable, and I could send back what I realized I didn't want without questions. Looking for the address in Denmark at www.distrelec.com I found this very long link:

https://www1.elfa.se/elfa~dk_da/b2b/...9200)515119250

I hope you find there what you want, but if not I would try the site in Germany, just because the one of Danemark doesn't look like a distrelec propietary site and maybe they don't have the complete catalog online.

ciao

j o r g e
(Offline)

Old 1st September 2009, 07:25   #9
didierh
RBW Member

didierh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote: (Originally Posted by depth) View Original Post
I used these for my home made rebreather (but nickel plated brass - not SS - sorry) works well.
Supplier is RS-Component - check for your local supplier.
References are:
243-8851
390-088
Regards
Didier
(Offline)

Old 2nd September 2009, 15:46   #10
Hanssing
Explorers Exodus

rEvo-II
Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future Hanssing has a brilliant future

Quote: (Originally Posted by Totto) View Original Post
I had a great time, and a video is out soon.
Video of ...... wait for it......

Zoooommmmm - swooosh

Need for speed

Thanks for the dives, not going to mention anything special, its a secret right?
(Offline)