It appears you have not yet registered with our community. To register for free click here
Rebreather World

Go Back   Rebreather World Rebreather Models, Design, and Accessories CCR - Closed Circuit Rebreathers Inspiration / Evolution Inspiration / Evolution Rebreathers

Old 23rd March 2005, 05:02   #1
h2ophotopro
Photo & Video Pro

h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point
Extend Air

Has anyone tried the new Extend Air cartridges for the Inspiration?? One of the guys at my shop just upgraded his unit to this system. Sue is nice and easy to set up, saves time, and isnt much more expensive than using standard absorbent. Although the scrubber life is technically rated to 2 hours, word is most people are getting 4 hours.

Seems to be worth it, I might have to make this leap!
(Offline)

Old 23rd March 2005, 06:46   #2
ROB DAVIE
Administrator

ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about ROB DAVIE has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation Extend-Aire Cartridge

Quote: (Originally Posted by h2ophotopro)
Has anyone tried the new Extend Air cartridges for the Inspiration?? One of the guys at my shop just upgraded his unit to this system. Sue is nice and easy to set up, saves time, and isnt much more expensive than using standard absorbent. Although the scrubber life is technically rated to 2 hours, word is most people are getting 4 hours.

Mike,

There are some very serious issues with the criteria that the company used to test those cartridges.

The company will not stand by anything but the two-hour official statement, yet they are always willing to give you the "wink-wink-nudge-nudge" routine on the side.

That, and the increased cost make me walk away from them. Caveseeker knows more about their test protocol. I would suggest you give him a PM.

Rob Davie
(Offline)

Old 23rd March 2005, 09:45   #3
schford
RBW Founder

schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute schford has a reputation beyond repute
I'm interested in hearinf about the test protocal - spill the beans Stef!
(Offline)

Old 23rd March 2005, 10:13   #4
DoubleTop
RBW Member

DoubleTop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote: (Originally Posted by h2ophotopro)
Sue is nice and easy to set up, saves time, and isnt much more expensive than using standard ....... word is most people are getting 4 hours.

You been around the red-light districts again

I thought they had better psydonym names than "Sue"

DT.
(Offline)

Old 23rd March 2005, 13:55   #5
caveseeker7
Stefan Besier

PRISM Topaz & Sport KISS
(still owned) MK15
caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute caveseeker7 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote: (Originally Posted by DoubleTop)
You been around the red-light districts again
I almost missed that one ROFL.

Mike, nice Freudian slip there, now I am wondering about Sue. ;)

At DEMA Micropore had flyers at their booth with a test graph for the cartridge used in the Dolphin with their cannister. CO2 concentration of 0.5% was reached at about 210 minutes.

Test protocol was 40 lpm RMV, 1.35 lpm CO2 injection, 1 ata and 13 degrees C (55.4 deg F).
That's nowhere close to your rigs CE (40 RMV, 1.6 CO2, to 11 ata, 4 degrees C) rating.
They consider this to be the NAVY standard, although from PRISM and SM1600 test data the temperature should be lower (4.5 degrees C) and ambient pressure higher (60 ft. minimum, I've seen 190 ft. and 300 ft data, too, for mixed gas RBs).
Temperatures are okay at best for our waters, about the as a yearly average I guess. Although I've seen mid 40s F locally. The 1 ata is nonsense, we're divers, not firefighters. I for one like to dive deeper than bathtub limits. And consider the Dolphin dumps around 25% of spend gas before the scrubber.

Also, from what I gather from correspondence with DiveRite Express, it makes a difference is a Micropore cannister is used rather than an adapter. That might explain the negative feedback from DSD using the cartridge in Inspirations.

As for the price, I don't know what SSA peddles sorb or cartridges for.
MSRP for the cartridges are $120 for a box of 4, so $30/each.
That's $15/hr per website, $10/hr per test data or $7.50/hr "wink-wink-nudge-nudge".
Sodasorb MSRP is $99 per pail (37lbs.) or $2.68/lbs., you can do the math for the Inspiration.

For the PRISM's 6lbs. scrubber it's $16.08/fill or $3.22/hr (at its rating!).
That's anywhere between more than twice and more than four times the price
for at least 20% less time with an insufficiently tested product ...
(Offline)

Old 23rd March 2005, 17:47   #6
Crazyduck
RBW Member

Dolphin
Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough Crazyduck is a jewel in the rough
Stefan,

Great information!

Just as a FYI to everyone- I would be very careful with the “nod, nod, wink, wink” of this product. I have a friend who was hit HARD with a nasty Co2 Hit in the Caribbean with this product.

If memory serves me right he did the “nod, nod” and exiting with a screaming headache. His profiles were well within normal Dolphin limits. Depth was good, standard Dolphin setup, with standard flow jet, his only error was running the scrubber over on time. He was not a happy camper about the incident and clearly expressed it. I am not sure by how much he overran the canister but from memory it was not much and he was very disappointed.

Dive safe, Andrew
(Offline)

Old 24th March 2005, 01:02   #7
h2ophotopro
Photo & Video Pro

h2ophotopro is an unknown quantity at this point
This is all good info. I am not one to "test the limits". So I think if its rated to 2...going to 4 is a little bit far.

Thanks for the details Stefan.
(Offline)